test1
August 19, 2017, 02:38:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally Ready; A Newbie Build for a Newbie Maker - Syntic  (Read 9235 times)
comfychair

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2016, 08:29:51 PM »

I think you need to scrape back to the copper on cable 'B' at the end that would normally connect to the glass; I think you probably don't have enough copper exposed to make a good contact currently. As far as I can tell from the images though, it appears that each of the cables has the copper exposed on opposite sides at each end, this is good as it means that your cable extension will be consistant throughout as long as the anisotropic tape can work at this fine pad separation.

I did as you said and exposed more of the copper and still nothing.

This is the extending cable once again:

* cable to be extended.jpg (120.04 KB. 816x460 - viewed 128 times.)

notice the tip at the bottom, this plugs in to the TCON board. It is this very wire that is wire B in my most recent pic.
The other side of this wire is what I have been scraping and sanding to expose the copper. I am connecting the scraped off end of wire B to the connector tip of wire A. Im starting to think I cant do that.
I may have to cut the end of cable A off and scrape and expose the copper on wire A the same way I did on wire B.

In short, the special connector tip on wire A may not be connecting correctly to the exposed copper on wire B. Is this possible?

also Aerendraca, I read your post about your dealings with this tape. Did you ever get an answer on whether you were using it in the right direction?

@comfychair, those cables seem to be kapton - if they are, they can withstand soldering temperatures.
You can sand down to the copper, get a tiny little amount of solder on both sides, press them together and hotair, or try soldering through kapton.

I did consider that and you are correct, it is kapton. Thank you for giving me the name of this material, now I know what to research Smiley
How would you propose I keep from bridging the connections on this wire? The pictures may belie how big these wires are, they are barely the width of a US dime (if that helps). I may need a smaller tip on my soldering iron (or a new one).

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: