test1
March 24, 2017, 09:00:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: intuos 5 + google nexus 10.1 display  (Read 2827 times)
Arey
New Poster

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2016, 02:42:04 PM »

Hello, bongofishers.

Have:
intuos 5 medium pro and
google/samsung nexus10 display module (the one alike to the http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Display-Screen-2560-1600-Panel-Replacement-For-10-Tablet-Google-Nexus-10-/231616323580?hash=item35ed689ffc:g:oA4AAOSwMmBVnN0U)

with 2560x1600 resolution which perfectly maches to eachother in terms of active/display area

want to assemble it together
the problem is that I don't understand which vga controller to use/choose from.

Could you please assist me with finding the right one?

Alex
XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 06:02:33 PM »

This is most likely an eDP Panel (like the iPad and the macbook screens some people used here) so you don't need an vga controller.
The Problem is that there is 1.) most likely no prebuilt adapter pcb available and 2.) I can't find a datasheet for the panel....
You could try to write the guy who designed the iPad lcd adapter board as he seems to have access to a lot of datasheets that are under an NDA.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 03:28:52 PM »

Looks like NJYTouch might have started selling these 45pin eDP converters now - http://www.njytouch.com/news/40-en.html

I would contact them and ask them if this panel is supported, otherwise buy one of their panels with the associated converter. NJYTouch have always responded relatively quickly and always politely, it's woth a go.
XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 07:30:03 PM »

These panels all have other pinouts so the one you have most likely won't be supported by the controller nyj has.
And as for the iPad screens there are boards from abusemark (http://abusemark.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=47) that are cheaper and better (the ones from nyj are 89$ and the ones I refer to were like 40$).
the reason I think the nyj boards aren't as good is that they only have one background constant current supply by the looks of the picture on their webpage but the iPad screen has 2 lanes which means they put the background lanes either serial or parallel which will decrease the lifespan of the background lighting.
Also I like the abusemark boards a lot as they have a usb port that can be used to control the brightness and turn the screen on&off in software (and it is a well known processor which means you could create your own firmware Tongue)
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 09:01:38 PM »

Njy might not support the panel this is true, but a quick email would confirm is all im saying.

eDP panels require no conversion from display port, the signals are the same so an adapter board is required. Its not quite that simple though, since whilst the signals are the same there is no native way to drive the backlighting for the panel from displayport, so the converter board has also has to have an led driver chip and means to power it, and to make the experience more pleasurable a simple microcontroller that allows some control over the backlight and power.

With this in mind there is always the possibility that one of these boards happens to have the all required attributes (including correct led voltages), and a simple pinout converter board/cable could be made to work. This would obviously be quite an involved way to go but it depends how much you wish to use this specific panel, alternatively you could just use the ipad panel with an established converter board as XDjackieXD said.
Arey
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 09:39:51 PM »

Thanks for answers.

Did NJY answer? or should I write from my self the request to them... I mean 45 pin edp is enough? or many more parameters to be mentioned?

Alex

Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 11:25:37 PM »

Sorry Arey, I didn't contact them, I was just suggesting that you could send them a quick short email to ask about this.

You should tell them that you are looking for an edp controller board which will work with the 45pin 2560x1600 nexus 10 screen; this might be enough info. Chances are they will ask for the datasheet of the panel, but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.
XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 11:32:35 PM »

With this in mind there is always the possibility that one of these boards happens to have the all required attributes (including correct led voltages), and a simple pinout converter board/cable could be made to work. This would obviously be quite an involved way to go but it depends how much you wish to use this specific panel, alternatively you could just use the ipad panel with an established converter board as XDjackieXD said.
You need a constant current driver for each backlight lane. Using simple resistors would work but will probably lead to uneven brightness and eventually death of the backlight...
Also the "just a physical adapter to DP" part is harder than it sounds as these are (very) high speed differential signals (just read this story to understand that this is quite a steep learning curve...).
If you still want to give it a try I would suggest writing the guy I linked above and asking him for some tips and/or help (he seemed pretty nice when I asked him something Tongue).

Thanks for answers.

Did NJY answer? or should I write from my self the request to them... I mean 45 pin edp is enough? or many more parameters to be mentioned?

Alex
For parameters at least the connector type & pinout is needed if they don't have a datasheet of your panel.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 11:34:32 PM by XDjackieXD » Logged
Arey
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 09:17:03 PM »

thanks for assisting
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: