test1
March 25, 2017, 05:01:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Price research for new product.  (Read 1422 times)
MrAtkinson
New Poster

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2016, 10:13:53 AM »

Hi all,

We are working a new product that i will explain below and we would love to hear your feedback on the price you would pay in a general retail store such as John Lewis or online via the website. Any ideas on the price you would pay for this and or comments you have for us.

So the company is called Cally A and the product is called the Cedar. The product is a complete PC built into a solid wooden case that is made of Oak, Walnut or Ash. The computer will be measured at Width: 470mm x Height: 40mm x Length: 750mm. The case will house a 17.3" LCD screen that clips into place is held by two powerful magnets hidden in the case so there are no ugly clips on show when the screen is removed. The screen can then be removed and placed a drawer on the right hand side of the case where it can be put away along with the wireless keyboard and mouse.

The specification is as follows with images attached:

Intel i7 quad core processor
8gb DDR3 Memory
17.3" removable LCD screen
1 TB SSD Hard drive
Internal Battery
Webcam
Optical DVD drive
One USB 3.0 port
Two USB 2.0 ports
Audio/Video
One HDMI port
Bluetooth compatible
Intel HD Graphics with nVidia GeForce 840M (2gb Memory)
Wireless Logitech Keyboard and Mouse

Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 01:00:42 PM »

Welcome back!

So, just to confirm, is the main idea of this product that it is essentilly a desk with a computer in it, that has the ability to be either a workstation or a desk (depending on which you require at the time)? Or is it designed to rest on a desk? Of the two options, I would personally prefer it to be a stand alone desk as I believe it would be aesteitcally more appealing. I might also suggest that the draw open forwards rather than sideways as currently the draw increases the space required to house it.

I like the idea of the walnut and I love the design, very sleak. I see it's quite a narrow design at just 40mm, could be a problem for the likes of a wacom/other brand tablet user (although I imagine you are targetting the high end general home computer user anyway so perhaps this is not a problem).

A quick guess at the electronic hardware cost would be about - but certainly not limited to - £1200 (if based around mobile computing technology), the wood probably cost around £200, additional hardware around £100, workmanship......hmmm....... lets call this £500, and additionally the R&D costs plus marketting per unit which we'll say is £100 (to sart with). So I think I would probably consider a reasonable price at somewhere like John Lewis to be somewhere between £2000 to £2400, although for this sort of money it would want to be beautifully made and flawless to use.

That's my quick estimate anyway, hope it helps.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:06:12 PM by Aerendraca » Logged
MrAtkinson
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 09:56:32 AM »

Good morning Aerendraca,

Thank you for your feedback on The Cedar. With regards to the design and your idea of having the product as a stand alone desk. This was definitely an option we have looked into however with the extra cost of making the product into the desk, for example the extra structure needed to make it secure, the packaging and production cost would mean we would need to raise the price of the item. Plus we didnt want to risk customers breaking or dropping the main computer when putting the desk together. Therefore the plan is to have The Cedar as thin as possible which is 40mm. This was The Cedar will sit on any desktop and not be as obvious as a normal PC and not sit too high as to make it uncomfortable to the user to use a desk.

We value all feedback on The Cedar and want to thank you again for taking time to give your feedback.

MrAtkinson
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 09:09:53 AM »

I am gonna love selling this. I think that I am gonna buy some and put a team out selling them on the street.

Has anyone tried it ?

Hi Merxnege,

Thank you for your comment. If you have any questions regarding the product please let me know. by completing the contact form at the bottom of the website.
www.thecedarbycally.co.uk

Thanks

Jake
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: