Bongofish
December 10, 2019, 09:38:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interfacing a TabletPC digitizer  (Read 16460 times)
Ertew

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2016, 11:06:06 PM »

It's just a speculation based on my knowledge. Some information may be inaccurate. But overall this should explain some trends.

Windows XP doesn't have drivers for digitizers. Imagine that Wacom make only serial and ADB tablets. It's pretty obvious that Wacom need to make serial drivers for Win XP.
Later Wacom start with USB, so drivers pack was expanded by USB drivers.

Years later, when Win 7 comes, Wacom made USB tablets and embedded digitizers, both USB and serial. New OS required new standard of writing drivers. So almost anything inside drivers should be rewritten. That required a lot of work.
Because serial and ADB tablets are obsolete, why waste time on it? Next, it's better to drop support, say customers 'You need to buy new equipment' and earn money than waste money for maintenance old soft. That thing happened to serial tablets.

Embedded serial digitizers is another story. Win 7 have build in drivers for some digitizers and know exactly where to use it. Perhaps decision was based on exact model of motherboard or something hidden inside bios or chipset. If somebody crack this, we can force to use this drivers to any compatible digitizer (probably ISDv4 only). Another option is to use incompatible XP drivers and force compatibility mode. This trick working only for some peoples, I doesn't have luck.

What about Win 10? Windows change standards again. Wacom drop support again. Intuos 2 doesn't work with Win 10 so WaxBee need to emulate Intuos 5.

What about Linux? Community need to rewrite drivers each time Linux change standards. As I know, that happened once and should never happened again. So You may assume that drivers should working forever.

Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2016, 11:34:24 AM »

Windows XP had the "Tablet Edition" which features a driver for these digitizers along with some additional features. However, most TabletPC manufacturers like HP, Lenovo and Toshiba would bundle some form of Wacom's ISD4 drivers, so i doubt any of them used the "native" one in XP. I'm not sure what kind of interface the new "Surface-era" tabletPC's use but i wouldn't be surprised if it's still serial. In the last few years a lot of them have used digitizers by N-Trig and other companies so it's hard to say. They certainly don't have the classic "SU-XXX" style labels on the back of the LCD so good luck getting any more info on them...

About Linux - the driver there is not official, more of a "reverse-engineering job" on most Wacom tablets, but i definitely prefer it to the real one mainly for its "no bullshit" approach. It's a "One size fits all" driver that works across the whole range from early Intuos-es through Graphire and all the Penabled digitizers in between. Configuration is a bit user-unfriendly as it's done mainly through the commandline but it allows for a lot of customization like remapping of buttons and the active area in realtime.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:46:24 AM by Pesho » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2016, 01:50:37 PM »

In laptop, I would believe serial is (typically) more difficult to configure than USB and the last thing a hardware manufacturer wants to do (after having the lowest BOM cost) is dealing with software. Since the hardware for supporting many USB ports is already a must, dropping the serial devices and just hooking the 2 USB data bus wires + power is real cheap and easy.

So if all laptop peripherals (touch pad, keyboard, digitizer, fingerprint reader, SD card reader, etc) are available as "USB" and are low cost, then the choice is a no brainer.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: