Bongofish
November 19, 2017, 03:15:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Connector help,  (Read 1568 times)
MrAtkinson
New Poster

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2016, 04:34:12 PM »

Hi all,

Im working on a new project and i need some help with a connector.

I am connecting a mini itx motherboard to a laptop screen but i want to be able to removed the screen from the mini itx case so i can put it away therefore i need a connector somewhere in the middle of the cable connecting the screen to the board. The connector needs to simply touch or fit together. It cant click together or be fixed in any way. I thought about using an edgecard connector but im struggling to find a male edge card connector. I have found one thats cheap but the postage is not! its like 3 times the price of the connector.

Is this the only way to do this or is there any other connectors out there that i havnt thought of?

Thanks for any help or advise.

Ertew

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 08:03:07 PM »

Please specify what type of interface have Your LCD. I'm guessing LVDS, but how many pairs, what about power and controll for backlight?

- For small screens with 1x LVDS, 3 signal pairs + clock, HDMI cable will be good choice. Shields for each pair may carry ground or voltage.
- If You have a lot of space, You might also try old D-sub standard (LPT/parallel or VGA connector). It's not designed for hi-frequency differential signals, but work in my case.
- Last idea, search for PCI extension cable (PCI-E x1). It comes as plug, socket and few cm of wires, so wires can be cut in half. What about price? Look at Aliexpress.com, sort by price and check "free shiping" option. Only disadvantage for that store are 1 month delivery time.

Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
MrAtkinson
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:31:28 PM »

Hi,

The datasheet for the screen is here.  http://www.laptopremont.com/manuals/LTN173KT02.pdf

I need to do everything through one connector as i dont want any wires hanging around.

The Mini ITX has an lvds connection built into the board so will be using that. I could use hdmi but then i would need a controller board and then would have to power it.

I have a little bit of space but not much.

Thanks
Ertew

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 11:54:21 PM »

Your LCD need 8 differential pairs. My idea "send signal trough HDMI cables and connectors, no converter" is useless here, because single HDMI not have enough pins.
So the best option can be PCI Express extender or sth like parallel ATA connector.
That's all I can help.

Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: