test1
May 29, 2017, 09:56:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to "install" WaxBee converter on Arduino Pro Micro, clones or any ATmega32U4  (Read 3258 times)
LTN121t
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 01:05:39 PM »

I ended up using USBasp anyway, and it works. The Pro Micro shows up as 'USB Input Device' on Windows and Wacom's driver recognises it (I think).
Since I can't buy another Arduino I'll be using a logic level converter and hope for the best.
Thanks to everyone.

also removed double post, oops
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 01:43:53 PM by LTN121t » Logged
Ertew

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 09:16:33 PM »

But Pro Micro 16MHz is 5V, and Wacom TTL tablets use 3.3V. Am I missing something? or do i need a separate 3.3v power supply?
You need 3.3V supply (ie. simply linear voltage regulator known as LDO, that can change 5V to 3.3V) for Wacom.
Next, You have two options:
1. Cut right trace on pro micro board. Goal: voltage from USB go to RAW pin bot not to VCC pin, while VCC is still connected with ATmega32U4 supply. If You do it right, You can connect LDO input to RAW pin and output to tablet VCC and pro micro VCC.
2. Pro micro run at 5V (USB), tablet at 3.3V (LDO). Connect tablet TXD to pro micro RXD via level converter or just wire. Connect pro micro TXD to tablet RXD via level converter or just resistor within range 4k - 10k.
BTW Mine tablet works fine without that resistor because I fund 10k resistor on board. I'll never offer this solution for anybody because somebody can destroy tablet this way.

Also, since bernard has changed the Waxbee software to fit on other places, does that mean I don't need a USBasp device to upload the sketch?
Waxbee software (PC) will generate hex file. It's not an arduino sketch. You cannot upload it via arduino software. You need to use avrdude and command-line interface.
I should repair broken bootloader, test this way and post code for do it without using USBasp.

Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
acediac
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 02:53:16 PM »

I got waxbee working on a teensy clone, but now I bought a cheap pro micro so that I can free up my teensy for other projects. However I can't seem to use the waxbee IDE to upload the firmware. It prompts "Waiting for Teensy bootloader (halfkay)" and wants me to press the reset button on the Teensy. The pro micros don't have a reset button, but it won't work even if I short the RST to GND briefly. Obviously the pro micro does not have a Teensy bootloader, will that be a problem?

EDIT:
Ok, it seems waxbee cannot program a Pro Micro. However, you don't need an AVR programmer to do it, if it already has a default bootloader. You just need to short the reset pin briefly to ground, which puts it in bootloader mode. The device will show up in windows as a different com port for 8 seconds. Then within that time just run avrdude and upload the hex file.

For reference this is the command I used
avrdude -v -patmega32u4 -cavr109 -P\\.\COM4 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:gd-0405-r.hex:i

« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 12:00:31 PM by acediac » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 08:48:14 AM »

"halfkay" is the proprietary bootloader in the Teensy and Waxbee only knows that. You need to save the ".hex" file and use other means to upload it to the pro micro.  Watch that you program using the correct parameters, I have heard pro micros can be "bricked" easily. (something very hard to do with a Teensy).
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: