Bongofish
December 17, 2017, 04:55:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First build - Intuos4L+15.4"  (Read 2275 times)
ianhez
New Poster

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2016, 06:06:31 PM »

So, I had this old broken toshiba laptop that was sitting around (http://www.pcworld.com/product/1330110/toshiba-satellite-a200-ah6-notebook.html). I converted it as a secondary monitor some years back with an external lcd controller board. And then I got an intuos4L that it would still be intact if it weren't for this forum's influence.  Cheesy

I've made a temporary build with the parts I already had untill I decide what screen to go for. Tested it, and old halogen tube lit LCD works fine. 15.4" (16:10) screen matches great with intuos4L's active area! But I don't want to make this permanent because of the lamp's excessive heating and because the LCD circuit is too large to fit inside the case without making more holes in it. I intend to be the least invasive possible with the original casing, aiming for something like this build (http://seungmingun.blog.me/50194059927 wish I knew korean for that post), only in my case a 15.4" instead of 21".

Of course making one of those retina-builds is a dream, but since I learned the disassemble of macbook pro LCDs is apparently impossible, I'm having second thoughts about that option. I've only seen two of those, which makes me wonder how many more out there were unsuccessful.

Anyway, I have easy access to a fablab with lasercutter, CNC milling machine etc, but access to different materials and electronic parts is limited, so I have to order stuff from all around, and brazillian post office besides very slow is a real lottery - you never know if they'll tax your pants off for each component that arrives.

Later I'll come back with some pics. Thank you! Let's do this!
ianhez
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 07:20:54 PM »

Hello again, just updating this log because I decided to go for the retina panel

So far I got:
-Intuos 4 Large (PTK840): already removed the plastic surface for an internal lcd build
-LED strip for a1398
-Polarizing sheets (4) for a1398
-15.4" plexiglass difuser
-DP2MBPR lcd controller from http://dp2mbpr.rozsnyo.com/
-Glass protector for PTK840 http://www.amazon.de/atFoliX-Panzerglasfolie-INTUOS-medium-Glasfolie/dp/B01D1YO6XS, any thoughts on this one? Can't think of a better fit, and yet, I haven't seen any topics about this glass sheet in particular.

What's yet to be done:
-Cables: I've seen Aerendraca's solution for rozsnyo's board using a better-longer-cheaper DP cable from an iPads motherboard, is the extra lenght really that necessary? Also, besides DP cable and external video cable, am I missing some other conexion?
-Panel enclosure: I'll try and fit the retina mount (as soon as I get all parts delivered) into the old Satellite LCD panel, like Serenitiq 2http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=2372.15 and if it doesn't, I'll have to model a perfect-fit and CNC mill it like bumhee34.
-I'm thinking on installing some kind of an external knob to adjust display brightness easily, but I'm not sure on how easy this will be, any suggestions?
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 08:53:10 AM »

Welcome back. Another retina build! We're changing the world! Which reminds me I really should finish mine.

A couple of things, the glass you have linked to looks like a protector, like the sort you stick on a smartphone. This is fine for protecting the surface glass of the cintiq, and that is really my point, the cintiq has a layer of glass on the tft panel to protect the tft from the pressures of resting your hand and using the pen. A thin protective layer (such as that listed) is designed to bend to absorb shock, and this is not good for your tft if there is nothing rigid between to stop it transferring the pressure directly.

The other thing is that the ipad cable is marginally longer than the original macbook pro retina cable, with the advantage of not having the metal hinges attached. You may find, as I did, that this length is not good enough unless you have the space inside your enclosure and are not fussed about the location of the displayport cable. I am working on a thin case with virtually no room and that's why I spent so much time finding a solution to extend the cable.

You will have 3 wires going to your build, the power (12v dc) for the controller/screen/backlight, the usb for the I4, and the displayport for the screen signal.

Im a bit confused by
I'll try and fit the retina mount (as soon as I get all parts delivered) into the old Satellite LCD panel, like Serenitiq 2http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=2372.15[\quote] ,I always planned to build the case so im not sure what you mean.
ianhez
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 09:03:27 PM »

Thanks!

By that last confusing part I meant  I can't use the macbookpro's aluminum case as a frame for the LCD panel for the obvious reason, so I am yet to come with a solution for holding the layers of the assemble together.
You used a salvaged samsung frame for that on your build, I believe?
I was hoping to use the toshiba's LCD frame for that as it is also 15.4"(16/10), but it doesn't look like it will fit so well.
So I guess I'll be fabricating a perfect fit for it in the near future.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 06:56:27 AM »

Ahh I see, no I didn't use the samsung frame, I was going to use the backlight filters but bought the official apple ones in the end. I built a frame to mount it all in from plywood.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: