test1
June 28, 2017, 11:37:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MiniQ - Intuos 2 6x8 & LP097X02  (Read 1405 times)
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« on: April 21, 2016, 09:03:54 PM »

OK, I decided to build this for  

1) Having an interactive screen where to park some menus of Manga studio while I draw

or

2) Make a gift to my niece, if she starts drawing (I could "lend" her the Cabinetiq, of Course, but handling a 100 Euro pen is not the same as handling a 20 Euro).

As it should go as an accessory of the UBiQ, it must be an Intuos2 ( and I already had the XD-0608-u).

I already had a controller for the LP097X02 from a precedent failure (ugh!) , so I just had to find a new panel.

Apparently, some Chinese Android tablets use the same screen as the IPAD 1, but their screens - as used replacements - command far less money; I had mine for 20 Euros, shipping included, in the end.

I tested that the screen works, and the controller works, and a preliminary jitter test is very promising

At 1024 x 768, the jitter is very reduced.

At first I mistakenly set it to 1440x900 ( it can't really do it, but it crops the image and keeps working) and at that resolution the jitter was a lot stronger.

This ties in with a doubt that I have - that the work frequency of the tablets is not really chosen out of arcane motivations, but to keep it nearer to the horizontal scanning frequency of most screens "palatable" for "Cintiqizing" an Intuos... which would make interferences all the more compelling.

The patents for the first Wacoms, for example, used a ~550 Khz frequency, instead of the ~666Khz of most of their successors.    

Here a short video ( Step one of the "tutorial" ? - maybe) ,  https://youtu.be/qtwzqPWtWvg

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 09:07:32 PM by DaBotz » Logged

The most incredible artist of... Barbanza?
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 09:11:14 AM »

What a nice idea, im sure your niece will love it.

As for the 666kHz, I think this is dependent on a couple of things, the length, thickness, and separation of the copper traces which will affect which frequencies can transmit/receive losslessly, and the government regulations regarding the frequency and power output of domestic devices.

The reason I think it matches closely with the scan frequencies of tfts is because the manufacturers of the tfts also have to meet the same guidelines, just at frequencies chosen because limitations in their copper traces.

I know that the 500kHz band was reserved for costal emergency comms and amateur radio, and that some AM radio stations broadcast at 550kHz, perhaps this was the reason for the change.
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 11:50:23 PM »

I somehow managed to modify the LCD, put it in place, and take a look at the situation... it bodes really well.

I tried to take some videos of the modding procedure with my web-cam, but it will take me a while to edit the mess that has resulted.

Meanwhile, I took a final video with my photocamera (ah, the marvels of progress) of the "pre-assembly" as it is now, and of a couple of tests.

It can be found here https://youtu.be/GQZ_McePum4

Rubatonk
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 10:08:26 PM »

Looks Cool
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 11:50:30 PM »

Finished (almost)

* [1600px]-DSC02317.JPG (269.85 KB. 1600x1200 - viewed 143 times.)

* [1600px]-DSC02318.JPG (255.47 KB. 1600x1200 - viewed 114 times.)

* [1600px]-DSC02320.JPG (243.82 KB. 1600x1200 - viewed 110 times.)

Final video https://youtu.be/vBQ8L0ADqFY

I have a small issue to sort, though - after three/four hours, it started changing the input source on his own, till I opened it up and detached the buttons...

Probably, another damn short to ground (plastic or wood cases, from now on!!!!) .

I may as well keep it like this , "locked" on the VGA input (it is under a USB 2.0 to VGA adapter, anyway).

Then, the next time I'll open it up, I may take a look at the cables from the buttons to the
controller, an see if I can make sure they do not "cross-talk"...

(or I should change the button, the interruptor - the controller has sit a couple of years in a box, and I have seen literally everything starting to rot in a comparable amount of time, in Galicia humidity)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 06:34:26 PM by DaBotz » Logged

DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 03:21:01 PM »

Added a variable height support (the VESA screws are useful... I should have built them inside the other 'iQs ).

* DSC02325.small.b.jpg (207.78 KB. 1200x900 - viewed 126 times.)

I also found out what happens with the buttons (oddly enough, I thought I had wrote this yesterday, too).
I mounted them without leaving enough slack... the case is metal, when it heats up, it bends a little and it "pushed" a button by itself.

I modified a bit things (I just "pulled out" the buttons holders a bit - the glue I used to lock them isn't too sticky - so that they do not rest against the micro-switches when they are not pushed, and trimmed the internal nuts to have a bit more free movement... it seems to be enough).

DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 04:21:04 PM »

A video of the thing at work.

https://vimeo.com/168676323

Never again, metal cases... it weights more than the Cabinetiq!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 04:32:59 PM by DaBotz » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: