test1
March 30, 2017, 05:44:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which voltage to get?
5v and step it down somehow - 0 (0%)
3v and be done with it. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Pro Micro advice...  (Read 2515 times)
ThinWhiteDuke
New Poster

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2016, 12:17:03 AM »

I ended up getting a Teensy 2.0 board that was counterfeit. But I see now that I should be able to use a cheaper Pro Micro board for my conversion of a tablet pc from serial to usb with fewer issues due to the 0.16 build and beyond. Problem is I see a lot of Pro Micro boards that are 5v. With the teensy I needed to solder a step down to 3.3v, can I buy one of these 5v Pro Micros and expect it to work or should I explicitly target 3.3v Pro Micro boards only?
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 09:56:11 AM »

I'm using a fake Teensy 2.0 with no problems now since the latest waxbee update. Perhaps you can make yours work too? Can you share more info about your setup?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 10:16:05 AM by Pesho » Logged
ThinWhiteDuke
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 07:46:59 PM »

I'm using a Tecra M4 screen and digitizer for my project. I've attached an image of the back of the Teensy board that I have. I have the voltage regular that I'm supposed to solder to the board but the three pins don't exactly fit where I'm supposed to solder and the larger tab overlaps the other soldering point. 

* Teensy.jpg (314.63 KB, 681x370 - viewed 92 times.)
ThinWhiteDuke
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 10:12:31 PM »

I went ahead and attempted to solder the voltage regulator on even though I couldn't solder the bigger tab. I'm pretty sure it just burned out once I plugged it in while still running it on 5v, there was smoke to be had. I tried scratching whatever connection there was between the 5v pads and soldered the 3v connection. It didn't work. Soldered back the 5v and it works again. I suppose I could have bought the wrong voltage regulator. But since this is apparently not a genuine product I'm blaming that. This is the voltage regulator I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191790011409?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 10:13:13 PM »

Ah yes, i have the same one. The original Teensy is designed for a SOT-223 type regulator, the clones use a SOT-23 one which is smaller. To make it work you can either find a SOT-23 regulator and solder it, or modify the board like i did here. Let me know if you want instructions on how to modify it. The pads on SOT-23 are different so you may have had a short by putting it in directly.
ThinWhiteDuke
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 10:22:27 PM »

Hah, wow, I'm in luck. Yeah, I'll take instructions if you would be so good as to write them. I'm sure it may help some other soul who thought they were buying a genuine product, on the bright side I got a refund for it. I think barring getting this regulator worked out I'll just buy a 3.3v clone board and give that a go. But if we can get this done then all the better.
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 10:45:35 PM »

Heh yeah, i had bought five regulators and was pretty annoyed to find that the pads didn't match... Ok, here's what you need to do:

Step 1 - Cut the traces shown in red:

* step1.jpg (165.51 KB. 1380x1833 - viewed 82 times.)

Step 2 - Scrape off some of the green solder mask with a knife to expose the copper (yellow rectangle in the picture). You can use a boxcutter knife or whatever you have in handy.

Step 3 - Bend the middle tab on the regulator back and forth until it breaks. You don't need it because you will be using the large one on the back (both the middle and back are Ground tabs so we remove the middle because it gets in the way).

Step 4 - Solder the leftmost tab of the regulator to the left "5V" square (this is the IN tab)

* step2.jpg (163.06 KB. 1380x1833 - viewed 89 times.)

Step 5 - Solder the large tab at the back (Ground) to the exposed copper where you scraped off earlier.

Step 6 - Solder the middle and right pad together to the right tab, so they form a bridge.

That's it, you should have a working 3.3V Teensy now.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 10:48:01 PM by Pesho » Logged
ThinWhiteDuke
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 11:32:27 PM »

Awesome, thanks. I'll give it a shot and report back. Could be a little while, I'm crap at soldering. Smiley
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 12:09:34 AM »

Try it with a fresh regulator, the first one may be toast already.
ThinWhiteDuke
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 12:44:26 AM »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that regulator is a goner. I had it right side up so I don't know what happened. But there was smoke and a nice little pinhole from where I'm guessing it burned up.

Anyhow, I'm sure my soldering job is not as nice as yours but I got it on there. I don't know what voltage it's outputting at the moment but at least it didn't burn up when I attached it. That'll be the next step I'll take a look at later. Cheesy
ThinWhiteDuke
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 09:51:03 PM »

Alright, I soldered the serial connectors wires to the Teensy board as shown here: http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=2378.0  and put waxbee on it to which it said it was successful. I've only gotten the screen to work intermittently unfortunately and it seems to only like to work in certain zones (mostly the corners). I think my soldering may have just been too terrible for it to work correctly as the sound of the usb connecting and disconnecting chimes on and off every once in a while. I'm going to desolder everything and try again, hopefully they'll be more clean this time. But I'm happy to have gotten it to work even just a little bit, it shows I'm on the right track at least.
ThinWhiteDuke
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 09:28:26 PM »

Well, I made what I thought were better connections and now it doesn't work at all. Waxbee installs fine, windows finds the usb fine, it blinks once when plugged in then does nothing. So I went from what Windows called a usb malfunction and it tracking a little bit to Windows saying everything is great and it not working at all. Maybe I killed the board I don't know. But I'm ready to just get a Pro Micro 3.3v board and having a go with that but I'm unsure of where to solder the wires that would go on D2 and D3 on the Teensy.

edit: This might be better for the help section maybe.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:12:31 AM by ThinWhiteDuke » Logged
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 10:25:24 AM »

Sounds like dicky connections, possibly on the VCC +3.3V line making it work intermittently. Did you check continuity with a multimeter? If the Teensy shows up fine on the programming application, then the culprit can be either bad connections (possibly not on the teensy, but at the digitizer connector too), or some kind of bad driver configuration in Windows. Some pictures of the whole setup would be very helpful.
DD
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 11:57:35 AM »

Well, I made what I thought were better connections and now it doesn't work at all. Waxbee installs fine, windows finds the usb fine, it blinks once when plugged in then does nothing. So I went from what Windows called a usb malfunction and it tracking a little bit to Windows saying everything is great and it not working at all. Maybe I killed the board I don't know. But I'm ready to just get a Pro Micro 3.3v board and having a go with that but I'm unsure of where to solder the wires that would go on D2 and D3 on the Teensy.

edit: This might be better for the help section maybe.

Not sure about your hardware configuration. But the Wacom digitizer should be turned on before you insert the Teensy into a computer's USB port, otherwise it will be like what you described. Just in case you haven't already done that.
ThinWhiteDuke
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 05:43:20 PM »

I'm using a Tecra M4 tablet pc, so no powering on is required that I know of other than the screen being turn on. It doesn't work intermittently anymore, the usb connnect and disconnect doesn't chime on and off like it did. It just straight doesn't work but on the other hand is being recognized by the wacom drivers. It just doesn't do anything.

Should the Teensy board do anything after being connected? It blinks once upon connection and then thereafter does nothing. Pictures will be forthcoming.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: