test1
May 30, 2017, 10:26:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Cintiq Companion [Design Phase]  (Read 4698 times)
Rubatonk
New Poster

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2016, 10:56:11 PM »

The Goal of this project of mine is to make something more refined than normal. my goal is to make a 15.6 inch graphics tablet that has a dedicated gpu, 8gb of ram, and an i5 or i7 Processor all contained within a compact case that is 13mm - 20mm thick

I have started working on the design and finding some of the parts im looking to use

Some features i know i want implemented is a touch screen panel for when im not using the pen and a screen rotate button for holding at different orientations

This is the initial design i made

the empty space to the right of the display i plan to put shortcut buttons and other things i might need like a pen holder/charger

I plan for it to have a large enough batter to last 4-6 hours of continuous use before have to re-charge

one thing i was not to happy about is i am losing active area real estate as the digitizer board is more of a 16:10 aspect ratio and i could not find a 15 - 16 in screen that could fit so a quarter inch of the tablet is unusable on the top and bottom. if you end up finding a display that would fit let me know and i'll see about using that instead.

The tablet im planning on using is the Huion Giano so that's a size of 13.8 x 8.6 in whereas the display is 13.6 x 7.65 in *note because of the displays bezel is makes the overall size 13.8 in
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 06:55:52 PM by Rubatonk » Logged
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 11:10:51 PM »

Some remarks about this project:

1 - You need rounded corners and soft edges to make it comfortable to carry around. Most tablets nowadays are designed with this in mind.

2- Perhaps it's a bit smaller, but consider using a 14'' screen from a Toshiba Tecra M7. It will make your tablet much slimmer and you will be able to use a full 16:10 aspect ratio with no dead space and a resolution of 1440x900. The same LCD+Digitizer can be found in Gateway M285 laptops.
Rubatonk
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 11:41:33 PM »

Funny enough i actually have one of those gateways, however the reason for the 15.6 screen is me being able to use a 1920 x 1080 ips display, i have not made my final decision on the main board yet but i thinking on of 2 that i have, either an asus g53sx or an alienware m15x. however i do agree about the rounder corners i'm was already in the process of adding them, im planning on doing it in two sections for easy assembly, one section holds the digitizer board and the screen and the bottom second is isolated from the upper section to prevent heat transfer and interference.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 11:44:15 PM by Rubatonk » Logged
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 12:16:03 AM »

There are some LCD modules that are 14'', IPS and 1920x1080 - check out this list. If you already have one of those gateways you can just use the digitizer from it and stick it at the back of a new screen! Worth mentioning though, is that if you go that route you may need to modify the back of the LCD so that there are no metal chassis parts between the screen and digitizer.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 12:21:53 AM by Pesho » Logged
Rubatonk
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 12:26:06 AM »

There are some LCD modules that are 14'', IPS and 1920x1080 - check out this list. If you already have one of those gateways you can just use the digitizer from it and stick it at the back of a new screen!

I actually have two of them but i've never used the digitizer part never had the pen so i dont even know if it works.

and i suppose i could do it as a 14 inch instead i'll just have to find a mainboard that can fit in it the alienware still might but if it does not i also have some hp dv7's, i'll just have to change the planned graphics tablet, however i do find the idea of it being lighter but as it is im predicting it to only be around 5 pounds at the most
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 12:40:52 AM »

TabletPC pens are interchangeable for the most part, doesn't matter if it's from a thinkpad, elitebook, portege or whatever. The modifications you'll need to do is remove the metal on the LCD and also align the digitizer a bit since it's 16:10 instead of 16:9. By the way, usually 1920x1080 displays use an eDP interface. I haven't dealt with eDP so i can't tell its interchangeable, or if your alienware board supports it... If it does and is compatible, you may not need an HDMI-to-eDP controller.
Rubatonk
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 12:53:08 AM »

Yes generally they are interchangeable, i work as a computer technician and screen replacement is one of our most popular services, even with completly different resolutions. Since im just using a laptop display it is quite literally plug and play, infact the panel i was planning to use is an ultra slim so it does not even have the metal shielding on it
Rubatonk
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 07:34:24 AM »

Just bought a pen for the gateway's to see if they still work if they do i might use them for prototyping.

for the finished product i plan on using aluminium for the chassis but for now ill just use 3d printed plastic. i also had an idea that would make the bezel's slim, if the digitizer board on that Huion Giano is the way im hoping i might be able to modify it to cut down on used space.
Rubatonk
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 05:16:30 PM »

Ok so i've continued on with the design i still dont know what motherboard ill be using so its not pictured yet but i do have most of the main structure of the body made

the bottom cover will be secured by a screw in each corner to allow easy access to the components below, the Cover will also function as the mounting point for a vesa mount or stand,

there is a division in the chassis that separates the display and digitizer board from the rest of the device, i have not yet determined where the pass through's will need to be for the cables. the keyboard tray is an idea i have, granted this will have usb ports i dont want to have to carry a keyboard with me everywhere i go so i can put a tray that will hold the keyboard in place and it will fit nicely between the motherboard and the division. the center division is dual purpose not only does is prevent the motherboard from interfering with the digitizer board but it also add to the structural integrity and will help use the chassis as a passive heatsync.

thats pretty much all i got for now, let me know if you have any ideas i could implement
Rubatonk
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 09:41:40 PM »

Ok leave it to asus to make a motherboard that is exactly what i need http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HGO7GXM/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687742&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00840BACU&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=04Z6P9HN42HZ9SVPHGX8

That there is a ultra slim motherboard that just so happens to have a lvds connector, To be honest this makes things a whole lot easier as it will allow me to use a intel i5-4570T and up to 32gb of ram Shocked

By tomarrow i'll have some new designs made up for it with that motherboard
Rubatonk
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 12:00:34 AM »

Ok so i have decided to go ahead an scale the tablet down quit a bit, i wanted to make it 13.3 but i could not find any tablets that would work for that size so instead in going 11.6.

so with the new size's i remade the design and the total size is a whopping 16.3 inch diagonal which is an ok size to hold in my hand just wish there was not so much unused space around the edges.

The ethernet jacks kind of f**ked me on the thickness so its 23mm thick, if i were to remove the jacks i could get the thickness down to 16mm

i thinking about using a slightly different board if i find it, it's basically the same board but with a mxm 3.0b socket so i could use something like a quadro k4100m which would be awesome
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 01:27:42 PM »

Why do you insist on using bulky desktop tablets when there are tabletPC digitizers in the 13.3'' size you need? You even mentioned already having a 14'' one from a Gateway laptop, i don't get it... You're going for an "all-in-one PC" design from the looks of it, since there's no way you can power a desktop ITX motherboard with a battery or stick an adequate CPU heatsink there. But if that's the case, an 11.6 screen is terrible for an all-in-one...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:36:39 PM by Pesho » Logged
XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 04:39:33 PM »

To be honest I would gut an laptop for this project.
It has all or at least most problems solved for:
- battery operation
- thickness
- cooling

Would make your life a hell of a lot easier Tongue
Rubatonk
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 04:49:27 PM »

what tabletPC screens are in 13.3 size? as for the 14 in screens i do have, the stylus arrived and they did not work, as for the issue of power that is not an issue its use's a 19.5v 7.7 amp power adapter which is a 150w power adapter thus the low power cpu from intel. there are 2 main reason's im building this instead of buying on already made. the first reason is cost to get a comparable tablet with an i5 an 8-16 gb of ram would cost upwards of $900-$1200, the other reason is im using this as a gateway to learning more about of the digitizer board work so i can eventually make my own. Hope that answers your questions.
Rubatonk
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 05:04:58 PM »

To be honest I would gut an laptop for this project.
It has all or at least most problems solved for:
- battery operation
- thickness
- cooling

Would make your life a hell of a lot easier Tongue
I partially agree with you statement, the first thing i started looking for were laptop motherboards, however i did not like the limitations that they have. since im lucky enough to be able to work as a computer technician im able to know what commonly goes wrong with laptops and why they go wrong, whereas with desktop board's they are able to do things a bit differently, if the bios get corrupt you move a jumper and it re flash's itself, i like the general bios itself its more ease of use, as for the thickness, and Ethernet jack is an Ethernet jack they are the same dimensions on every computer with the exception of the ultra slim samsung which has the bottom part of itself fold into the chassis to remain slim when not in use. and as for the cooling i have plenty of heat sync's that will work
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: