Bongofish
November 20, 2017, 04:46:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What controller for a N150P3-L01 ?  (Read 1799 times)
Morgan
New Poster

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2016, 02:30:57 AM »

Hi everyone !

I've purchased a N150P3-L01 display to build my own Cintiq with a Wacom Intuos 3 A4.
But, I'm not sure about the controller I can use with it.

I've seen this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/110925504614 which seems to be compatible with my display. The "problem" is that there is only VGA input.

Some of you used a RM5451 from njytouch but I don't find it on internet.

So do you guys have some good plans ?

Thanks for your advices !
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 04:10:23 AM by Morgan » Logged
Morgan
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 04:09:26 AM »

I've found njytouch on ebay and asked them what controller can I take for my display.

They sent me to this item : http://www.ebay.com/itm/371077849565.
But in the description my display is not in the list, and it's writen "If the resolution of your LCD panel is higher than 1440x900 and lower than 1920x1200, please turn to our R.RM5451 controller board for more information".
For information the N150P3-L01 is 1400x1050.

In the mail they said me "Please leave your LCD model in your order. Then we will match suitable LVDs cable, inverter, keypad and power adapter kit for you.".

Will the controller be well configured for the display with the good resolution ?
Knowing that this pack is better than the other one because it has the power supplier inside Smiley

Thanks to all
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 04:11:16 AM by Morgan » Logged
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 09:31:56 AM »

What you really need to do is send them the datasheet for this display - http://www.beyondinfinite.com/lcd/Library/IDtech/N150P3-L01.pdf

Even if your exact model is not in their list, as long as they program it for the correct pinout, connector and resolution indicated in the datasheet PDF, it will work. I've used an njytouch controller with two different LCD's that have the same resolution and connector pinout - they work fine.

DVI (if its digital) will give you better image quality compared to VGA, which is analog only., so i'd probably go for the second one.
Morgan
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 12:48:22 PM »

Thank you Pesho for the datasheet !
I'll send it when ordering...
I understood that they prepare the kit and program to the reference of my display, but I thought there would be hardware limitation with the main board.

So that's OK I'll take this one !
I thought exactly like you, the DVI is way better for the quality than VGA.
I now have to buy a DisplayPort->DVI converter, I already have 2 DVI screens on my card and 1 on HDMI. My DP is free Smiley

Thanks for your advices !
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 12:51:34 PM by Morgan » Logged
Ertew

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 06:38:10 PM »

Hello Morgan.

I'm using this converter: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/free-shipping-6-pcs-set-Free-Programming-universal-driver-board-general-kit-for-12-42-LCD/1938130853.html
It's universal, configured via jumpers. 1400x1050 LCD is supported too.

Downsides:
- VGA input only.
- Need to purchase separate inverter, ie sth. like on link below:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-5V-28V-Universal-LCD-LED-Display-CCFL-Screen-Inverter-Board-INPUT-5-28V/32287898317.html

Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 07:50:21 PM »

It's universal, configured via jumpers. 1400x1050 LCD is supported too.

Neat! Seems like "one step forward two steps back" though, with no DVI or inverter... Besides, there is no "standard pinout" when it comes to LVDS, every LCD manufacturer implements it the way they want, so the chance of messing it up is quite high.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 07:54:05 PM by Pesho » Logged
Morgan
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 11:57:54 AM »

Hi guys !

I finally ordered this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/371077849565

But I have a problem : the seller of the display said me the only one he has is broken Angry He refunds me.
So now I have to find another one.

I have a new question : do I need to find a display with 1400x1050 resolution or can I find a uxga display with 1600x1200 ?
Will the controller I ordered be compatible with an uxga or do I have to reprogram it ?

I've seen a IAUX14P and a N150U3-L06 that seem to be great. I sent that question to njytouch and wait for their answer.
Ertew

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 10:47:35 PM »

You cannot reprogram this unit via jumpers or USB.
If You have programmer (probably sold separately) You can change resolution. If You doesn't have programmer, all You can do is resend unit to supplier (or somebody who have programmer) to reprogram it.
So You stuck at 1400x1050 resolution.

Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 11:35:27 AM »

Yeah, you can't use a display with a different resolution without reprogramming the controller.

Your choices are:

1. IDTech N150P03-L01 panel from somewhere else (about 50$ on eBay)
2. IDTech IASX12 (compatible but prices are ridiculous)
3. LG LP150E05-A2K1 - 40-50$ on eBay, but you will have to order/make a new cable because the odd/even signals are reversed compared to the IDTech panels.

Or get a programmer for the controller and use a 1600x1200 display. These panels are likely to also use a different connector, so you'd need a new cable in addition to the programmer.

By the way, Panelook.com is a great website when looking for LCD panels. You can search by resolution, IPS/TN/VA, size, backlight type and a whole bunch of other parameters. Results with a PDF icon are preferrable, since it means the datasheet could be found more easily.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 02:42:34 PM by Pesho » Logged
Morgan
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 10:14:30 PM »

That's what the guy from njytouch said to me.
Here is the link for a reprogrammable controller : http://www.ebay.com/itm/272013830767

But this morning I was lucky : I've found another N150P3-L01 on ebay Cheesy
It was 29€, I had a best offer at 25€, and a 10€ voucher. So it was only 15€ !

I spent a lot of time on panelook.com, to compare and find a good display. I was about to take a HV150UX1-101, but it was too expensive for a first diy Cintiq.
So I decided to start with a SXGA+. I think the N150P3-L01 is a good one. I absolutly wanted to have an IPS display. Do you think it's a good choice ? Or a TN would have been enough ?

The IASX12 has good specs ! The response time is 30ms, compared to 60ms for the N150P3-L01.
Is there a big difference ? I mean when using, do you really see the double response time ?
http://en.panelook.com.cn/modelcompare.php?ids=3662,3721

And one last question : what is the difference between IPS and DD-IPS ?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:42:17 PM by Morgan » Logged
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 11:33:32 PM »

N150P3-L01 looks like a pretty good panel, and the price you got it for is excellent. At 116Pixels/Inch the pixel density is just slightly lower than that of a Cintiq 12WX, except being 15'' it gives you more room for drawing. 1600x1200 would've been your ideal case for that size and 4:3 ratio (they dont make 4:3 panels anymore), but the extra 17 Pixels/Inch wouldn't be worth it if you have to pay over 30$ to get it.

- You most definitely need IPS or VA - TN is garbage, especially for tablets. For any kind of graphics work, and also for a tool you will want to rotate and look at from all angles, consistent colors are a must. TN is only popular for being cheap and because the faster response times are sometimes more desired by gamers.
- On the subject of response times - they're more or less just a marketing buzzword to sell the product with. There are many ways that response time is measured (Grey to Grey, White to Grey, Black to Grey...) which are often different, and they usually advertise whatever number is lowest. Same goes for contrast ratios - they're normally about 500:1, but with some backlight modulation tricks you can sort of fake it and bump that to "100,000:1", and that's the number they slap on the bezels of new monitors and TVs.
- You might experience a little ghosting while playing games, but for drawing i doubt you'd notice anything.

And one last question : what is the difference between IPS and DD-IPS ?

There's hardly any difference, they're all IPS technology. Every manufacturer uses their own names for variations of the IPS tech. DD-IPS is IBM and IDTech's version, there's also e-IPS and S-IPS by LG, AFFS which is used in most TabletPC screens, p-IPS... There's a lot of them, you can read more about it HERE if you're interested.
Morgan
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 05:39:06 PM »

Ok Pesho thank you for all your explainations !

Your comments comfort me, I'm happy to have chosen this display for a first diy Cintiq.
I see what you mean with the response time or contrast ration. It's the same thing in music, Maximal Power and Nominal Power.

Your link is very interesting ! There's a lot of IPS technology, but they use the same principle : in plane switching... Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: