test1
August 17, 2017, 10:42:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tutorial? Part List? Recommendations?  (Read 456 times)
psiduck
New Poster

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2016, 10:19:04 PM »

So guys,

Im new and i saw a video log from Ryan Haworth and was impressed. He showed me this website and i hope i can get some help here. I want to use the intuos 4 L with a 15'' to 15,6'' 16:9 (or 10). I hope you can give me some recommendations for some screens that i can use, because i dont wanna buy something wrong and regret it afterwards (i still go to school, so im actually always broke af) also a part list would be so nice of you. id be very glad if you could help me out Smiley (no advice in casing needed)
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 01:53:17 PM »

I have posted some videos of my last build in youtube - look for DaBotz channel, there. Not exactly a tutorial, but maybe what's comes nearest.

15.4" are usually 16:10 - 15.6" are 16:9.

The first are slightly bigger than the active area (some 16 pixels in my first build), and must be calibrated by reducing the projection area in the Wacom driver, the seconds are wider but shorter than the drawings area (like my bigger build - I made a video of calibrating that, too).

You can see it using Bernard's Mighty Simtiq planner - http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1984.0

It takes a tiny bit more to tune the 15.6 (you need to tune the axis separately, the x axis by cutting areas from the screen projection, the y axis by reducing the tablet area) but not really that much more, and if you are clever, the unreachable sides (which are a bother) can be mitigated (I stuck the taskbar, there, so that the scrollbars were always reachable - I have no use for the taskbar anyway, as I always use Alt Tab)

(However, the fact that you have reduce the screen projection, both with a 15.4 or a 15.6 , comes to bite back when you use more than a screen: if you move the screen position, you must calculate the new screen limits.)

There are the specs for a 16:10 15.4" on the TabletMod site - I used them for my first build .

The screen is a AUO BW154P01 (or P02), and you can source a controller from Nyjtouch ( they have a store in Ebay).

That screen has lack-lustre colours, some bad viewing angles (when I have the budget, I will change it, but it is not a priority) and while it does not show jitter (the pen does not wiggle visibly on her own) I think that it produce  its share of "drift" (you can draw always the same line, but it does not really follow the line you draw - it is precise, but not exactly accurate) so I needed a stroke stabilizer anyway (as far as I know, you really need some stabilization even with most of Wacom's CintiQs).

It is still, possibly, the best choice for a 15,4" - so, I'd say, go for a 15.6 (in the end, I ditched this build and passed to a couple of Intuos 2 based builds, a 22" and a 9.7"-  this one, I just had the pieces lying around. In my experience, a good screen - with a fairly reduced jitter - amply beats a crappy screen with NO jitter; and I almost only draw Line works in B&W  ).

16:9 panels are often newer, with LED backlight (which, on average, is brighter and creates less EMI noise and, consequently, Jitter - usually; it depends on the frequency of the PWM used to dim them) and, possibly, IPS panels (much wider viewing angles and, often, better colours).

On the backflip of it, extending the lines for the LED back-lights often requires having access to some FFC extender or ZIF-to-ZIF board (luckily, Nyjtouch sell some of these, now, as the connectors of the newer eDP panels are simply the same kind of ZIF and FFC), though bumhee used simply a FFC and a paper clip to extend the back-lights in one of his builds (oh, how dumb I felt, when I saw that - I had just destroyed a panel, trying some half-assed extension of my own).

Extending the lights of CCFL lamps is doable(though, apparently not so easy as it seems to me - I didn't really see the difficulty in my two CCFL builds, though), even without access to proper extenders (that can be found in ebay anyway, I believe).

Search for mentions of your Intuos in this site,  and see what other used for their builds.

You can search in Panelook  http://www.panelook.com/modelsearch.php?op=advancedsearch for a panel that you may like

( 16:10 is still the Intuos 4 format so, renouncing some resolution, you can have a Innolux G154IJE-L02  - it is a 1280x800, LED backlit or downsizing the area, to a G141C1-L01  - 14.1", 1440x900, LED, VA - both are VA panels for industrial applications... VA panels tend to have slow transitions, so they fare bad in gaming, but have very good viewing angles - alas, Industrial stuff usually command way steeper prices than civilian material...  )

Much depends on what do you want to do with it and your budget, however...

A final note: beware, this stuff can be fairly addictive.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 02:22:44 PM by DaBotz » Logged

The most incredible artist of... Barbanza?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: