test1
October 20, 2017, 06:15:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fujitsu T904 Screen Help?  (Read 429 times)
beanhead
New Poster

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2017, 06:50:13 PM »

Hey everyone,

I asked about a problem I have with my Fujitsu T904's screen in a thread around here about a month ago, and was very grateful to get some help but I'm not sure where to go from there- I'm not very well versed in hardware problems haha.
But first I'd like to ask for a second opinion on what the problem might be. A few months after getting this laptop, I opened it up one day to a dim vertical band near the middle of the screen, where the brightness was visibly lower than the rest of the screen; it stayed the same for months and then just recently, in the last month or so, degraded severely:

There is significant color distortion, light flickering, and an intense heat at the bottom of the band now. I'm certain that this is a problem with some component of the screen as I've updated the video drivers and when connected to another screen the distortion is not there. To my limited understanding this seems like an LED strip problem, but perhaps it's a problem with some connection? I've asked several local computer repair places and none have been able to give me a confident answer and they've all been unwilling to take a look at it. The screen is a Sharp LQ133T1JW17.

If it is an LED strip problem, could someone give me some pointers on finding a compatible replacement? Or some help with whatever the problem might be. I wish this thing wasn't worth the hassle of trying to fix it, I would just give up and replace it if I didn't like it so much. I'd just replace the whole screen if I could actually find it anywhere, but it seems to have almost entirely disappeared after the T904 was discontinued.

Thanks in advance!
Ertew

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 10:12:20 PM »

Sad news:
You don't have any dim or extra bright strips. Next, border between good and bad parts are vertical and very sharp border. So backlight wasn't Your problem.

IMO there are 90% chance that You have broken driver chips or broken connection between driver chips and main PCB. Other options: broken main PCB of the LCD module or broken graphic card, graphic memory, etc.
What I mean by driver chips? Look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdtyxt9OLlU (start from 18:20). LCD module contain: backlight, optical part, LCD glass, PCB and driver chips. That chips are mounted on flex sheets and connected between glass and main PCB.

If I'm right, is it possible to repair? That depend. If driver chip are broken, You cannot repair it.
If You have only broken connection between chip and main PCB, You will fix it as long as You push flex sheet to the main PCB. In this case, trained person with soldering station should be able to fix it.

Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
beanhead
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 11:29:45 AM »

Sad news:
You don't have any dim or extra bright strips. Next, border between good and bad parts are vertical and very sharp border. So backlight wasn't Your problem.

IMO there are 90% chance that You have broken driver chips or broken connection between driver chips and main PCB. Other options: broken main PCB of the LCD module or broken graphic card, graphic memory, etc.
What I mean by driver chips? Look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdtyxt9OLlU (start from 18:20). LCD module contain: backlight, optical part, LCD glass, PCB and driver chips. That chips are mounted on flex sheets and connected between glass and main PCB.

If I'm right, is it possible to repair? That depend. If driver chip are broken, You cannot repair it.
If You have only broken connection between chip and main PCB, You will fix it as long as You push flex sheet to the main PCB. In this case, trained person with soldering station should be able to fix it.

Ahh I see, in that case I'll try again to find someone who will be willing to take the screen apart to look at it. If not I'll have to try to replace it with a similar screen. Thank you for the information and the video!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: