Bongofish
November 20, 2017, 10:26:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gigantiq - a tale of desmeasured greed.  (Read 12260 times)
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 08:58:55 PM »

As a side note, I have found a Intuos2 0608 (without pen) for 9$ (+ 25$ of shipping ... still a third of what some Spanish douche is asking for a  0405 - with pen).

I decided to use it as a complement to the Gigantic, mapping a 100x62 mm corner of it as mouse replacement, in general apps, and as jitter-free support for drawing my usual "scratchy" etchings in the Graphic apps...

Originally, I thought of placing a screen on top of it, of course.

But the controller for the LP116 I had lying around kind of drove crazy my desktop graphic board (I tried to use a DVI-HDMI plug... maybe that was the issue), so that has been put on hold.

On a side note, the Wacom 6.2.0w5 driver that I use seems uncapable of driving the Intuos4in CabinetiQ, though its release notes state taht it should be able to do so.

Is it possible that it is due to an uncomplete uninstall of the previous Intuos4 driver?   Misteryum fides.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:53:49 AM by DaBotz » Logged

The most incredible artist of... Barbanza?
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 06:40:08 PM »

OK,
Info 1: the guy who wrote HIDMacros released the code in GItHub.

It is in Delphi (damn), so I can't really manhandle it the way I'd like (never been a Delphi man, and TurboDelphi isn't freeware any-more anyway).

The main trick seems to be in the winhook.dll, so I could just flip it out and reverse enginer- merge it with my java daemon... but that's still a lot of work and I have other things to boil.

---

I revised the stupid daemon, it now has backups ( when you save, it also saves a copy of the old configuration, numbering it), allow to call "modifiers" (it's brutal... you switch between entire, alternative keyboards configurations) and for a toggle on/sleep (that can be called "through" HIDMacros) so that you can "snooze it" when you happen to change window often.  

---

Depending on the route of the USB cable, the naked XD-0608-U shows an Y-axis jiitter (on position and tilt) comparable to UBiQ (on screen - in mm on the board, the half).

---

I tried to use my old CabinetiQ, on a computer where I can't install my Lazynezumi pro... God, how much it sucks! No random noise, true, but lines got mangled by quite a bit of "geographic" jitter...

Also, as I cannibalized the old wheels and keyboard set-up for UBiQ, I found that having just Wacom's Ring and Hotkeys was unbearable for me.
I had to re-add at least a numeric pad, for tool selection.

I got used too much to the Big Ugly Beast.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 06:51:35 PM by DaBotz » Logged

DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2016, 08:15:10 PM »

Update:

I recently bought a "Classic pen", and started using it.

Yesterday, I had a bit of a problem with the USB hub I use for UBiQ and the other slow peripherals( keyboard and mouses).

Essentially, I had to reset it

After ferreting out the issue, I found that I was having some problems with the pen... and LESS with the old grip pen.

Popped out the button cover, and fiddled with the frequency screw, I found that the "Classic Pen" was out of tune with the XD-1218 inside UBiQ.

Re-tuned it, the jitter went down nicely to its historical minimum, as can be appreciated by this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAEP5L9nggE

(Video captured with the pen lying on a stand).

I have a question... also the newer Intuos-es need to be tuned every now and then?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 08:16:49 PM by DaBotz » Logged

Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2016, 09:35:14 PM »

Im not sure if the newer intuos pens have a way to tune them. Maybe I'll take the I4 pen apart and have a look.
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2016, 11:01:06 PM »

OK... here I am again.

I finally decided to buy one of those cordless numeric pad, so I relegated my old "main" numeric pad to the sole tools selection ( and a couple of othe things) that I do not use too often, while the new cordless is devoted to the stuff I can't live without (zoom, brush size, lazy nezumi level, brush hardness and opacity... ).

* DSC02360.JPG (173.28 KB. 1280x960 - viewed 149 times.)

However, over time I accumulated some little issues with my main build (all the other builds are still around and kicking)  - the glass has gotten a couple of small scratches in the middle of my "drawing area" - very shallow, around one cm long... but when I land on one, the sensation is - appropriately - grinding.

Also, at the time I forgot to re-place the upper frame to close off the panel ( that I had modified, nonetheless.... forgot, it was some 0.4 mm and I thought I was border-line functional, for the pen height from the tablet) and a couple of speckles of Dust have crept between the LCD and the diffuser... In all, it was time for an overhaul.

At the same time, I  finally managed to grab a LG IPS224v (that, apparently, is a good match for the I2 http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=2302.0
) at a good price and an Intuos 2 12x12 (at 26 Euros - then, 30 Euro of shipping made me say the same as many Italians: Fottute Poste!).

* DSC02361.JPG (130.71 KB. 1280x960 - viewed 152 times.)

So, an Audacious plan formed in my head... use the 12x12 to test how things go with the LG and to check that I have the I2 take sizes correctly, in my sketch-up models, then build a case for the Intuos 2 12x18 and the LG and then, when all is ready, open the UBiQ, take out the panel ( it is kept in position by four screws),  sneak the Intuos 12x18 out ( it is kept in position by the screen, and the walls of the sub-assembly) and the Intuos 12x12 in, to use it as secondary windows screen... or something.

As test computer, having fried my last laptop (the graphic board), I am using a RapsberryPI B (my emergency torrent machine... had that power adapter fried a month later, it would be a PI2... twice the memory and six times faster, for the same money)...

Note: I lost some hours because I was so dumb as to try to build the wacom kernel driver on a 4gb sd card... one step requires installing some2 GB of source code, and the PI crashes - and becomes unresponsive, so one has to re-flash the OS - when it eats up all the available space.

With a 16GB card, it worked flawlessly, and I could see again the no-nonsense greatness of the LinuxWacom Driver: the Intuos 2 works, the intuos 4 works, the graphires work with that! And you can conjure up a swicth screen button in some 20', for the I2 (OK, getting the Intuos 4 oleds and buttons to work, it is possible but takes up an afternoon, and you have to draw your icons)

* DSC02366.JPG (175.72 KB. 1280x960 - viewed 143 times.)

The level of my hubris knows no limits, really...

I started dismantling the LG (of course) after having tried the Bhrazz opening gambit ( I think that it interferes a little bit.... a magnitude less of  when I tested the stripped UBIQ the first time - I wanted to cry, when I tried that).  

* DSC02363.JPG (120.99 KB. 1280x960 - viewed 151 times.)

The main board is a square, 11.5-12 cm of side, some 2 cm of "respect" depth - I'll have to revise my sketch-up model.

* DSC02364.JPG (165.19 KB. 1280x960 - viewed 131 times.)

The cable to the buttons is some 15 cm long ( may need extending), and the cables to the led strip are similar. The builder to whom I  am inspiring myself, though, managed to extend the led strip cables using two of these

, so, extending should be doable.

However, the backplate is no aluminium at all but, rather, iron.

So, I am now pondering how to proceed forward, as I fear to damage the led bar, that seem to be clamped in place and kept by some solid looking edges...  

* DSC02371.JPG (95.56 KB. 1280x960 - viewed 122 times.)

Before I forget, the panel is a LM215WF3(SL)(E1)

* DSC02367.JPG (155.46 KB. 1280x960 - viewed 137 times.)

Fingers crossed... hoping I do not break anything .

« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 11:21:15 PM by DaBotz » Logged

DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2016, 10:51:45 PM »

As it turned out to be quite a different build, I opened a separate Thread, http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=2588

DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2017, 08:52:19 PM »

Update on the old big monster...

After having shoved a Intuos 2 12x12 inside, I did not use it much as a tablet, as I made the mistake of letting the tablet all on one side (as not to carve more the panel that holds it in the "subassembly" ).

However, these last few days I could not bear its black mass  any more (which was among the reasons why I decided to try with the LG 20MP48, when I got another Intuos 2 extralarge... also, I wanted an IPS led), so I decided to overhaul it a bit.

I planned changing its "front plate" to a yellow one (yes, it's cardboard... so, it is not a big work to do) and, as I was opening it, cleaning up a bit things ( I added some threaded holes in the back, last time I modified it, and let the wood dust go around) and centering both the screen, and the tablet behind it, around the middle line of the case (before, I left an offset to the right of a cm or so, so that I could leave  numeric pad on the left side).

I verified that, without the noise produced by the screen borders (or, maybe, by the bending of the EM field around the ends of the TCon board RF cage) , the jitter is down yet a notch and is on par with that that affects its successor's centre.

I do not know how I am going to use it, as its bulk is still a bit in the way ( though it is far less depressing, now that it is not a black slab any more)  of a use as a second Cintiq (or, ahem, 3rd cintiq, in my case) , but I wanted to report it.

* Bongofish-DSC02580.JPG (175.02 KB. 1200x900 - viewed 59 times.)

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 08:53:53 PM by DaBotz » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: