test1
August 21, 2017, 02:58:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Screen scratch repairs - Buff out or Squeege Fill?  (Read 339 times)
dpaint
New Poster

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2017, 02:52:23 PM »

I have a question about minor screen scratches, hairline or smaller

I know the easiest fix it is to cover with a screen protector or a sheet of acetate.

I picked up a 21UX recently with one or two very very light scratches, the advice I was given was to fill with some acrylic solvent and squeegee the surface driving the glue into the void to avoid any bumps or nib catching. Has anyone tried this technique?

I cant find reference but have seen this discussed before online with another Cintiq/screen tablet. What type of epoxy would you use/recommend? I do not want to melt or cause any chemical reaction if my screen is not suitable, pretty sure its a glass one (2nd gen). Clear drying craft PVA glue comes to mind as a test even though it drys matte and rubbery.

Theres also lots of compounds out there for buffing out small scratches like these, I don't want to create a shadow or rainbow lens effect by buffing a small concentrated area so its not something I'd try without asking. Id take time to cover the entire screen area or make a jig to hold a small rotary polisher in place evenly.

So my plan is polish lightly and if the scratch is too large fill it. I'll probably be using a screen protector at the end of the day but I'd like to know what options are the best from other forum members that have experience with their own screen problems and fixing things like this.

Eventually, I'd love to replace the front bezel with a frame that allowed easy replacement of the glass so I could keep using it without worry, mabey 3d printing is the way to go if Wacom dont refurb the old units anymore & their stock of plastic moulds will be gone/withheld soon.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 02:57:55 PM by dpaint » Logged
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 06:38:26 PM »

If it were me, i would not mess with epoxy or such compounds unless i have to. Normally when you buy secondhand there is always a "matte stain" in the middle where most of the drawing happens. The 21UX-es come with a plastic film coating on the glass in order to simulate a "paper like feel" and it gets worn out pretty quickly. But, with some patience it can be peeled off completely - after that you just need to place a screen protector over the bare glass and it should look as good as new. Here's a link for reference.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: