test1
June 27, 2017, 02:58:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Just a a quick question
1. Led - 0 (0%)
2. Best Wacom - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Couple of questions  (Read 234 times)
jonc22
New Poster

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2017, 05:56:08 PM »

Sorry I couldn't see any other option to pick than create a poll Cry
Anyway I came across this site after getting a shock to how dear the wacom clinics are. I managed to find a few diy your self options and thought i would at least give it a try.
Only have a couple of questions really first one is would a led screen be ok and second question is what's the or cheapest wacom option for a 16" screen and a 22/23" screen
Thank you
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 12:57:22 PM »

If, for LED, you mean "LED backlight", it is the consensus that they are to be preferred to CCFL illuminated screens.

If you mean "OLed" - I don't know of any such build.

check things using the

http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1984.0

Options for a 23" - None that covers the whole screen

Options for a 22" -  (22" are 16:10, 21.5" are 16:9)

That cover the whole screen, the cheapest would be the Intuos 3 12x19.

It also has hotkeys, which make dismantling the Wacom and assembling the DiY a bit more challenging, but allow some very interesting option like having a "swap screen" button, that is useful on multi-monitors set-ups.

Also, there is no problem with drivers availability.

Cons: they cost easily twice or more the next alternative, or a 1/3rd of an Intuos 4 Extra Large (12x19.2).

If you can accept to have a couple of cm that are left out of the active area, where you have to reach with a mouse or something, you can use Intuos 2  (series XD) or Intuos 1 (series GD) 12 x18" . To remain inside the active areas, these accept at maximum a 21" 16:10 or 4:3 monitor.

Alternatively, LG is selling the LG 20MP48, that is a 19,5", 16:10 (1440x900) LED IPS screen that could be a nice prospect - I am going to try my hand with this combination, Intuos 2 + LG,  some time soon (next week or so)- You may hold on for a while, and see if I post news on it

However, while the drivers  for these older tablet may be installed in newer OSes like Windows 10, it may require a bit of wizardry (I stick with Intuos 2 and Windows 7).

If you are an open source enthusiast, in Linux the driver issue and the availability of hotkeys do not matter, as the Linux wacom project driver handles virtually everything Wacom has ever produced, and scripting allows to implement the swap screen buttons - and similar features - quite easily.

16" - there are really no options for that specific size.

15.4" (16:10) Intuos 4 L (PTK 840) - it may cost as a big Intuos 3, though, and it is not such a great improvement over the Intuos 3 - it is smaller than the panel by some 17-20 pixels that, well spaced, becomes a negligible 8 pixels-wide border.

15.6"  (16:9) - The same Intuos 4L , but the "unreachable" part of the screen becomes much more noticeable, especially on the vertical border(s).

15" 4:3 -> Every 9x12 and 12x12 tablet (Intuos "Large" up to the 3 series) fits perfectly ( a bit too much... requires a precise assembly). 

As a side note, in Windows a program called "Power strip" allows to restrict the output of the computer so that it matches an arbitrary resolution inside that of your screen, effectively "cutting" out unwanted (unreachable) parts of the monitor.

I never used it, but it is a possibility.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:57:24 PM by DaBotz » Logged

The most incredible artist of... Barbanza?
jonc22
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 09:35:06 PM »

Thank you for the reply got a few screens from my old laptops now  so am either go a send of for the controller boards or keep and eye out for a smaller monitor
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 09:13:22 PM »

If you go for a new monitor, a couple of informations:

The power units are discrete sources of electromagnetic interference, so monitors with a separated "power brick" tend to give better results (alternatively, you may opt for a design that keeps the power unit as away as possible, as I did in my first UBiQ)

The bulbs ( CCFL ) in most old screens, too, are nice sources of emi (what with their 700-1200 Volt... however, if one is unlucky, the 60 volts of a LED backlit panel can still interfere plenty, if they use the precisely wrong frequency).

IPS panels are not really a luxury (unless you are a B&W only author), in this use.

Also, keep in mind that most laptop screens are 6-bits per colour channel (64 levels instead of 256, or 256k colors instead of 16 millions)... which means that it is up to the firmware, in the panel or the controller, to emulate the missing colour resolution.

Some do a decent job at it, some don't, and some do not even really try (like the controller in my Mini-Q).

The most incredible artist of... Barbanza?
jonc22
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 09:37:53 AM »

Was original going to use my old 22" Samsung monitor which as a separate power supply but the screen is too big so I will just keep my eye out for a smaller one...... Thanks again

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: