Bongofish
December 17, 2017, 04:53:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Use wacom pen on wacom digitizer hardware  (Read 130 times)
axel9546
New Poster

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2017, 08:26:16 PM »

. Like you guys know how thoose hardware works, could i ask something ot? I have a galaxy book that has a Wacom Emr digitizer. Downloading wacom drivers and trying the wacom pro pen, it wont read the tablet as a wacom device, but we know that the Galaxy book its a Wacom emr device,.. so i think there could be a software block. Do you know hoe to bypass that and let the wacom driver read 1 the pro pen, 2 the galaxy book as a wacom device? Samsung s pen work good but not as wacom does
jedikalimero
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 06:47:41 PM »

Well, the Wacom device in the Samsung tablet is not an Intuos or a Cintiq so it will not work with those drivers and will not recognize a Wacom Pro pen or any Intuos 4/5/pro stylus. I don't know exactly about the Wacom device in the Galaxy Book but it is probably of the same kind used in the Galaxy Note series of smartphones and tablets. One easy way to check this is to try the S-Pen from a Galaxy Note phone (any, at least from Note 1 to Note 5 will do) in your Galaxy Book. Or try the Stylus of your Galaxy Book in a Galaxy Note Phone (you have to remove the phone's stylus for the phone to start scanning for a stylus.

If they work, then your Wacom device is what is known as Wacom TabletPC sensor.

In that case, of all the styluses you see in this picture, only the two at the right will work in the Galaxy Book. The rightmost is the stylus of my Galaxy Note 4 ant the other one is a Wacom stylus from an old tablet but I can't remember the name or model number:

* 2017-11-03 16.20.04.jpg (364.09 KB. 1000x1030 - viewed 10 times.)

Unfortunately you won't find the needed drivers at http://www.wacom.com/en-gb/support/product-support/drivers. Those sensors are made for computer manufacturers to include in their products and Wacom position about it is that it is the manufacturer who have to provide the drivers.

My bet would be to try to use the drivers from some laptop or Windows tablet that uses the Wacom TabletPC sensor. If your Galaxy Book stylus works on it or the stylus from that laptop works in your Galaxy Book, then chances are the driver will be compatible. That doesn't mean the task of making this driver to run in your tablet will be straightforward but at least you will know you are dealing with the correct one.

axel9546
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 07:14:48 PM »

I know that the SP3 has wacom emr and wintab driver. I will try with thatz but i dont think i can get the wacom control panel
jedikalimero
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 07:28:32 PM »

Do you mean Surface Pro 3? Just go with your Galaxy Book stylus to a shop where the SP3 is in exhibition and try it on the SP3. If it works, then the drivers should work, but I don't believe there is any Wacom Control panel for those devices.

Wacom made some time ago some screens 15" and 18" or so that look similar to the Cintiqs but without ExpressKeys and they work with the Blue stylus I showed you in my photo, so the sensor is compatible (100% sure they would work also with the stylus from my Note 4 phone), but I don't know if the drivers for these screens will work in Windows 10 since they are quite old.

The small tablets used in some bank branches, Post offices and the like for signatures are also Wacom devices and I have tried them with my Note 4 stylus with success (and surprise from the bank employee  Grin)
axel9546
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 10:48:52 PM »

Thanks!
Ill try.
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 02:37:46 PM »

You have to check in the Device Manager what kind of VID and PID the digitizer is using. Here's an example image

If the Vendor ID (VID) does not match Wacom's, you're out of luck. You may try editing the .inf file for the driver to include new VID and PID signatures but it's not guaranteed to work. People have tried do do this for the Sympodium tablets (rebranded Wacom DTF-series screens) without success.

About pen compatibility - older ~2004-2009 era TabletPC's used the U-series tech that was in the earlier Cintiq 15X, 17X and 18SX from 2000-2001, so they were compatible. You can tell by the "UP" prefix for those pens, for example UP-911E. The Wacom Pro Pen is for the latest H-series tablets (Cintiq/MobileStudio Pro, Intuos Pro, aka DTH and PTH model numbers respectively) and thus won't work. It's more likely that the Samsung S-pen still uses the same U-series protocol but nobody here has tried that combination in order to confirm. If jedikalimero  has tried the pen from an STU-series signature tablet and it worked with the Note4, then it's very likely the Note4 and other S-Pen devices use that protocol and will work with a Cintiq 15X pen like the UP-911E.

With more modern tablet PCs like the surface pro it's harder to guess, as they are likely to use some newer Wacom technology like AES or possibly have an N-trig digitizer which is from a completely different company.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 02:39:41 PM by Pesho » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: