test1
October 21, 2017, 10:08:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cintiq 21UX with a Severed Cable - Can We Restore It to Working Order?  (Read 714 times)
CableMender
New Poster

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2017, 01:12:49 AM »

Hi, Bongofish forum! I'm here at this repository of Wacom hacking knowledge because I've just purchased a Cintiq 21UX DTK-2100 for the shockingly low price of ~$75 USD. There's just one little problem with it - some absolute animal decided unplugging it was took much work!

I have a bit of an electronics workshop shaping up, so this looked like equal parts tragedy and challenge. Once the Cintiq arrives later this week and I get a look inside, I figure I might have a shot at resurrecting this old girl, though I'm anticipating plenty of hurdles in my path. The first presented itself today: I received a third-party power supply that is allegedly compatible with this exact model (~$15), but I've never seen anything like the round 4-pin connector that is expecting to interface with the Cintiq:

Better pictures can be provided, but anyone familiar with these older Cintiqs probably wouldn't need them. So, what the heck is this? It's not an S-video connector, not a PS/2 connector, not a DIN connector, not even an Apple Desktop Bus connector. The closest thing I've found is a kind of connector for powering LED light strips, but even though this has the correct ratios with the "top" pins spaced closer than the other two, the dimensions are all wrong - 4.6mm between the top pins when the connector in my hand is closer to 3.0mm center-to-center, 5.4mm between the bottom when I measure more like 4.5mm, pins 1.5mm in diameter when mine look more like 1.0mm:

I'll chop this power supply apart if I really have to, but I would infinitely prefer to find a proper plug for it. So did Wacom really engineer these older Cintiqs with proprietary, unbuyable power connectors, or have I just not stumbled upon the correct round 4-pin socket type?  Huh
Ertew

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 09:28:27 PM »

Look for "4pin CCTV power", you will found that very similar plugs are used for powering analog CCTV cameras. Some links below.

https://picclick.com/4-Pin-AC-Adapter-For-Posiflex-EA1050A-120-DC-Charger-351418096116.html
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/products/4pin-Aviation-Plug-to-Power-Video-and-Audio-RCA-Female-Plugs-Cable.html
http://www.backupcameracable.com/sale-8161531-orlaco-4-pin-din-connector-female-to-male-for-vehicle-cctv-camera.html
https://www.e-epos.com/cctv/psu/4pin-psu-assembly.html

Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
CableMender
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 10:47:24 PM »

"4pin CCTV power"

Thanks for the tip! These look really close, but most of the cables I'm finding associated with CCTV power have a square pin layout rather than the staggered pins the Cintiq expects, and the point-of-sale connectors that look staggered are seemingly impossible to buy as a female connector. I took my chances with a "Philmore EL5" connector end (apparently a type of DIN?) that should get here fast, but even with the correct pin layout I fully expect the dimensions will be all wrong:

I suspect there is a more specific connector designation that Wacom used in these Cintiqs...
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 11:25:06 PM »

Aw man, DTK version too... I'm jelly.  Roll Eyes

It's a 4-pin DIN connector, they use em for appliances that draw a lot of power at low voltages like 12V or so (Cintiq needs 7A). As with all these round DIN connectors the pin arrangement has different variations of the same pin count, but it shouldn't be too hard to find one from places like aliexpress or local electronics stores.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 11:26:46 PM by Pesho » Logged
CableMender
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 12:14:55 AM »

Aw man, DTK version too... I'm jelly.  Roll Eyes
I know, right? I've been pondering the cheap DTZs on eBay, but everyone seems to think the Intuos 4 Cintiqs are miles apart. There's still a very good chance this thing is inoperable (or will be after I get my soldering iron in there), so don't count me too lucky yet.  Cheesy

It's a 4-pin DIN connector

Woohoo! That's exactly what I just ordered. I must have assumed the old AT-style keyboard connectors were the only flavor of round DIN connector and discounted the lot of them. Everything should be here by Friday or early next week; I'll report back with pictures once I've had a chance to crack it open.

Thanks!
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 11:35:57 AM »

The main issue I have read about the 21UX is that the screen is not spectacular and that it still shows some jitter on the borders (it still is a CCFL backlit panel, I fear).

I kind of remember that someone has disassembled one of these and that, inside, the "monolitic" cable divides in a standard video cable, a USB cable and the power, and that they actually use a normal connector for the video (power and USB may need soldering or crimping).

If the thief that tried to steal it (the only scenario I can see where one may toss hundred dollars of worth, to gain a couple of minutes) has not cut the cables while it was operating, it should be not too hard to bring back to life.

The most incredible artist of... Barbanza?
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 08:02:28 PM »

I know, right? I've been pondering the cheap DTZs on eBay, but everyone seems to think the Intuos 4 Cintiqs are miles apart. There's still a very good chance this thing is inoperable (or will be after I get my soldering iron in there), so don't count me too lucky yet.  Cheesy

Not really, i'd say they're just as good - it's just that DTK versions are usually more rare and expensive. I have a 12WX (DTZ-1200) here and there's honestly not much of a difference between it and the DTU-tech used in older Cintiqs and common TabletPC's. Most noticeable difference is that the grip pen is much nicer and with 2 buttons. The hover distance and report rate are better on DTZ but those don't matter as much.

The main issue I have read about the 21UX is that the screen is not spectacular and that it still shows some jitter on the borders (it still is a CCFL backlit panel, I fear).

My 12WX does jitter in the right side, that may be where the CCFL is. Corner-jitter is actually worse compared to a TabletPC digitizer and i don't know why! TabletPC digitizers are supposed to be "cheaper" but i really like their overall performance.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:14:42 PM by Pesho » Logged
CableMender
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 05:15:23 AM »

Everything arrived, and nothing was quite what I expected.  Cheesy

Screen looks almost pristine, so even when I confirm this thing is offically dead I might be able to part it out. Took the back of the case off and peeled some tape - what's this?

I knew this was possible and it still utterly shocks the armchair engineer in me. If you're going to put a full-size DVI connector head in your product, why the heck wouldn't you just mount it two inches lower and make it accessible to the user?  Huh

Thankfully, it will make testing this thing a relative breeze. The USB connector was as expected, red=V+5/black=GND/green=D-/white=D+ wires that couldn't be any more standard (though please speak up if Wacom has different ideas about what the colors mean). It's the damned power connector that was the most unexpected part:

Two white wires, and two black wires? Why does a power connector need four separate pins in the first place? Is this thing expecting two separate power rails and two separate grounds because of the amperage these things draw? I'm beyond confused here...

Only needing to deal with eight wires is a huge relief. There's hope for this thing yet! Also, I must say, the microelectronic design skills on display here are mighty impressive. I just had an earlier touchscreen monitor open looking for bad caps a few weeks ago, and it was an absolute mess compared to this. Like, what's an electrolytic? Cheesy

So the good news is it looks like all I need is a pinout for the power connector and I might actually be somewhere. Bad news is the DIN connector I ordered was waaay too big for the power adapter. Apparently I need a mini 4-pin DIN, but I strongly suspect the "Philmore EML4" connector I just bought will arrive looking exactly like an S-video connector. I got a 5-pack of these uxcell cheapie panel mounts, as well, but unless I can disassemble one I might be better off just chopping up the power adapter.

the thief that tried to steal it

I honestly hadn't considered it might be stolen, because I have a small amount of experience with the aftermath of equipment liquidation. If you haven't had the pleasure, I assure you this kind of incredibly short-sighted destruction is par for the course. I've never seen it happen in person, but this is how I picture my Cintiq's backstory went:

INT. OFFICE - DAY

Rustic workmen throw late-model Power Macs across a gutted office in the manner of fishmongers. FOREMAN of these equipment liquidators surveys the scene from behind a clipboard. UNDERLING emerges from under a nearby desk, clearly perplexed.

FOREMAN: An' make sure ya git them monitors on tha cart.

UNDERLING: Uh, boss? They got some kinda cables on 'em...

FOREMAN: (barely looking up) Whatsa problem? Tumbscrews?

UNDERLING: Dang things split off into t'ree, and they got these connectors, and...is that a USB?

FOREMAN: (handing over a pair of bolt cutters) Yeah, yeah. We ain't gettin' paid by the hour here.

UNDERLING: (handing back one of several Intuos4 styluses) There was these pens, too, but they're all outta ink.

FOREMAN: (annoyed) Whaddoes this look like, a recyclin' drive? (throws stylus into large trash can brimming with high-end Logitech mice, mechanical keyboards, various vital brackets and dongles, and large-capacity hard drives)
Grin

Next hurdle, then: Can anyone please explain exactly what's going on with these four pins my DTK-2100 calls a power input, and possibly direct me to a pinout?
Ertew

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 09:44:01 AM »

If this monitor really need 7A of current, industrial equipment (disconnected each service inspection) will use proper service margin and have 2-pin connectors with 10A per pin capacity. Proper engineered user manageable equipment should have bigger safety margin, let say 15A - 20A capacity to have good enough performance even after years of playing with it. But better connectors always cost more and are more tough than regular low-current ones.
IMHO someone decide to use standard connector with 7A/pin or 10A/pin current capacity but connect two pins parallel to double current capacity. Next thing, proper power cable will be thicker and harder than two with half size and half capacity.

Next, USB. You should have 4 pins in this order: GND, D+, D-, 5V and I hope that Wacom obey standards. If not, here are simple instruction:
GND is often connected to shielding. Ohm-meter can easily check this.
GND and 5V are often connected to input capacitor located near connector. Also, polarity mark can approve where are 5V and GND.
D+ and D- often are routed to two similar SMD components or single 4-pin/6-pin input filter. If You swap these two wires, funny things may happened but You cannot destroy anything. If You swap wires again and tablet working better, You're in home.

* one exception, sometimes You may found solution with 2, 4, 6, 8 'big' power wires and extra 2 small wires. This are sense wires. PSU can read voltage directly at load and increase output voltage to compensate voltage drop over long cables.

Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 02:18:43 PM »

Ertew already told you everything that could be said about the connectors but if you still got it open I'd ask you if you could take some high-res photos of the right board and one of the 18 input groups (so you can read the markings on the chips if there are any). I'm interested how they built this as it doesn't seem to use their usual "all in one" asic you can find in the intuos and penabled lines Smiley
CableMender
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 08:03:37 AM »

Panel mount power connectors came in and they're a perfect fit. They'd make for one ugly cable, but I can at least test some theories with them. This is suddenly a bit scary, because this will be a major triumph if the Cintiq was all working besides the cable, and I wouldn't want my inexperience to be the thing that fried it. So, in administering this next bit of advice, please treat me as you would an idiotic five-year-old holding his soldering iron upside down - no big words, assume I know absolutely nothing, and be very clear if I'm about to destroy anything.  Grin

DVI cable is a cinch. USB should be easy to solder up (red-to-red, the black pin is definitely connected to the ground plane, etc., and even if someone has funny ideas about the standard color code it's unlikely anything will explode). I don't entirely understand the "why" of this dual-channel power cable, but then I never quite grokked V=IR, either. I do know that the two black pins going into the served cable read as 0 Ohms across, as do the two white pins, the black pins read at 0 to a grounded screw and the white pins read at infinity, and a white to a black reads at infinity. Four pins as a hedge against large amperages, but effectively just one white V-in and a ground, yes?

Plugging the power supply into the connector yields similar results - two pins are common to each other, as are the other two, the two sets are not connected, both sets of pins read at infinity to the left and right prongs of the barrel connector going into the power supply unit, and only one set of pins read as 0 to the third middle (presumably "ground") prong.

So does this mean the repair may be as simple as wiring up the USB line color-to-color, soldering the black common-ground pins out of the Cintiq into the pair of pins that connects to the middle prong of the power supply cable and the whites to the other pair, and slapping in a DVI cable?  Shocked

take some high-res photos of the right board and one of the 18 input groups

Gladly, but the lighting in my shop is atrocious. I'll haul it upstairs to take some proper pictures before I button it back up, one way or another; I'm also curious what the heck is going on with some of this circuitry.

Can you please clarify what you mean by the "18 input groups"?  Huh
XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 05:28:27 PM »

take some high-res photos of the right board and one of the 18 input groups

Gladly, but the lighting in my shop is atrocious. I'll haul it upstairs to take some proper pictures before I button it back up, one way or another; I'm also curious what the heck is going on with some of this circuitry.

Can you please clarify what you mean by the "18 input groups"?  Huh

There are 18 identical groups of (most likely) line drivers, preamps and probably either ADCs or multiplexers. the newer wacom boards got this all integrated into one ASIC
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: