Bongofish
December 17, 2017, 05:02:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacking Wacom Drivers...  (Read 239 times)
thatcomicsguy

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2017, 01:01:28 AM »

Hey, guys!

It's been a while since I posted anything here.

I have a question:

Samsung has released a new 15.6" convertible "Flip" laptop with their Wacom-powered "S-Pen".  The Notebook 9 Pro.

It's a total revolution in Tablet PC tech; the biggest portable computer (other than Wacom's keyboardless Cintiq tablet) to date which also uses the best in EMR pen technology, (the common alternative N-Trig and AES systems.., almost don't suck.  Buuuuut, they suck).

The only problem is...

The Samsung Pen Driver is currently the only way to interact with the stylus.  And it won't let the user do anything useful with the stylus barrel button other than bring up a chumpy Samsung menu.  No hover-click.  No brush re-sizing.  Just "One Note?"

I haven't gotten one of these machines as of yet, (they're not available in Canada), but I was getting all excited about the prospect until I learned that the system is, in spite of its amazing stylus action, high pressure levels and even tilt sensitivity, suffering from this critical feature fail.

So.., what would be involved in hacking together a home brew pen driver?  The Waxbee project is evidence enough that something must be possible.

For background on the machine, you can read the thread over on the TabletPC forum here:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/samsung-notebook-9-13-and-15-flippers-with-windows-10-and-spen.72302/page-17

Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:06:36 PM by thatcomicsguy » Logged
Ertew

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 09:41:36 PM »

WaxBee? Sadly no. WaxBee is designed as one way converter: RS232 or ADB as input, USB as output. This tabletPC is relatively modern and I'm sure that digitizer have USB interface (probably single USB for both EMR and capacitive touch), nothing else. You may chose uC with two USB interfaces, one host (or OTG) and one device (or OTG). This uC will receive USB packets and translate it.

Second solution: I'm sure that Linux still can use legacy Wacom drivers and handle this digitizer as regular tablet with full options available.

Third solution: maybe this digitizer can detect pen ID? If yes, there might be possibility to use different pens with different button assignment.
https://www.phonearena.com/news/Note-the-progress-the-evolution-of-the-Samsung-S-Pen-from-the-original-phablet-to-the-Note-7_id83943

And last option: users feedback. Few hundreds of user comments and samsung may notice the problem.

Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: