test1
September 23, 2017, 05:32:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guess who :)  (Read 168 times)
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2017, 07:07:37 PM »

Hello.

Long time no post and all that  Grin   

I have a similar problem to the guy in the,  dropped 21UX thread.
I've snagged myself a dirt cheap 21UX. It was cheap because a strip (about 2cm across the whole center of the screen) isn't picking the pen up. I figured it might be a loose ribbon cable but it doesn't look like that's it. (re-seated all the cables and no change)
This is the main board:

* WP_20170815_003.jpg (230.17 KB. 800x605 - viewed 23 times.)

It's going to be one of these circuits in the middle

* WP_20170815_005.jpg (213.23 KB. 1024x768 - viewed 21 times.)

I was hoping for an missing SMD or dry joint something but there isn't anything obvious that I can see.
I'm not really into electronics above the simple soldering and testing level but I'll give anything a go. 
I may have to try to get a replacement board from somewhere, perhaps a scrap one with a cracked screen or something.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Ertew

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 09:57:45 PM »

Hi.

As You can (cannot) see, single broken solder joints cannot be fixed because You cannot see the problem.
If there are soldering problem I will try to locate what section are responsible for 2cm gap, then use hot air for resolder many components, including two biggest chips. You can easily found guys with hot air at laptop/consoles service point, maybe at phone service point too.

Alternative way - try freezing spray (or compressed air can applied upside down) and hair drier. Maybe hot or cold temperatures temporary fix problem so You can narrow area then use hand solder.

If both methods fail, repair may required multichannel oscilloscope to locate broken component or track.

Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 07:57:06 AM »

Thanks for the reply.

It's reasonably guess-able I think, the board layout is pretty logical so I know roughly where the problem is and could narrow it down further with just a tape measure.   I think I could get a hot air station fairly cheaply and I'm in no rush so can wait a few weeks for it to arrive from China if necessary.   It'd be a useful thing to have anyhow, it's a good excuse.   Smiley

I can be keeping an eye out for possible donor boards in the meantime.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 08:08:33 AM by Drewid » Logged

Ertew

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 03:40:09 PM »

One more thing. This digitizer contains two boards and flat flex to connect them.
You show active board (lot of chips) but not passive board (antennas). Flat cables shouldn't cause problems, but connectors at both ends may.

Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 09:28:41 PM »

Well there you go. Good call. Smiley
Lower ribbon cable reseated.

* boom.jpg (83.66 KB. 696x506 - viewed 18 times.)

Super happy bunny Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: