Bongofish
September 24, 2018, 09:12:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New project flickering free screen, really need help  (Read 60 times)
axel9546
New Poster

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2018, 02:45:41 PM »

Hello guys.
I bought a wacom 22 and im so unhappy with the screen quality. I refunded and i was thinking making by myself.
The only big big downside is that i cant see monitors that ise pwm flickering. All wacom display prodcut seems to use this tecnology. Do you know if i csn get a flickering free display, buy a large intuos, and place it?

My friend shown me the process of his own intuos 4 diy cintiq and its very good to do , i love his screen quality! (But his flicker xd)
Also do you know if i can get this in big size? Minimun is something around 19 inch .. maximum of 24 thanks!

DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 06:21:20 PM »

"Do you know if I can get a flickering free display, buy a large Intuos, and place it?"

Yes, you can - you probably would have to modify the frame of the LCD to let the pen signal go though (it is the "manually difficult" part of the game, where it is very easy to let speckles of dust slide in and create shadows or light spots) but some screens have already no metal in the signal's path and require no modification (mostly up to 15.4" /15.6" laptop screens).

That said, it probably won't be as good as the Wacom (but we have seen some pretty turdy ones from them too) as the drivers of the Intuos have no provision to filter out the noise added by the LCD and, as a result, the pen position is almost always affected by "jitter".

There is a 3rd part software "stroke filter" that can do much to solve this issue , Lazy Nezumi, that can go a long way to make a somewhat jittery machine usable, and in a way it is better to have it as it exposes the way the noise is filtered so that one can trim it to its necessity, and even change it while it draws . 

I myself have a 22" built on an Intuos 2 XL with a LG IPS224v (alas, the Intuos 2 XL is one inch shorter than what would be needed to completely cover the screen, so I have a 2cm of unreachable screen), and a 19.5" with another Intuos 2XL and a LG 20MP48a.

The more stable of the two is the second - it has a 5 cm (2 inches) vertical "crazy band" on the right, where the pen fritzes a bit, but the rest of the screen is remarkably jitter-free till the last cm on the left that is a bit wonky.

However, the marriage between any given digitizer and a screen is, really, a matter of luck (unless you follow a "recipe" from someone that already tried, with success, a given combination).

Roam through the site, and see if some of the examples in the "success" section attracts you.    
If your friend's Intuos 4 DiY is a "TabletMod" inspired build, with the AUO BW154P01 lcd, that is one mighty bad screen to work extensively (it was my first build), but someone made a similar build with the screens for Apple Macbooks (and a bespoken led backlight unit) that is a much better view.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 06:26:53 PM by DaBotz » Logged

The most incredible artist of... Barbanza?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: