Bongofish
December 12, 2019, 05:22:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: ud1212-R cable and pen?  (Read 27481 times)
robcat2075

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 03:26:02 PM »

Hi Bubba,

if you still need the cable you can build it yourself, here's the scheme:

ok is in italian, i did it for an italian guy who asked me.
translation:
lato tavoletta = tablet end
lato computer = computer end
negativo alim. = negative supply
positivo aliment. = positive supply
connettore D-sub 9 pin maschio = D-sub 9 pin male connector
connettore D-sub 9 pin femmina = D-sub 9 pin female connector

note: pin 5 of the computer end and negative supply are connected together

hope this helps you... Vince

This is interesting... do you suppose this could be what I need to make my Wacom SD tablet work?  So far I've never been able to get my computer to know it was even connected.  Where did you find this connection scheme?

Or maybe my connector just wasn't molto maschio

Question... If "positive supply" isnt' a pin on my computer's serial port, where is it?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 03:28:00 PM by robcat2075 » Logged

Robert Holmén
------
The Robcat View
bubbaflamm

Living Life at Random

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 09:21:07 PM »

if you look at the cable itse'f, on one end (the computer end) it is a normal serial connector, on the other (the tablet end) it has a plug to connect the power supply to the connector.  so basically the power borrows two pins from teh serial connector, those pins go out the back seperate from teh cable itself and connect to the ac adapter (you can find a picture at the coolgraphics stuff link switz gave us).  as to it working with the SD tablet, i have no idea, but someone else probably does, but it wouldn't hurt if it was more molto maschio.
robcat2075

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 08:09:44 AM »

so basically the power borrows two pins from teh serial connector, those pins go out the back seperate from teh cable itself and connect to the ac adapter

My SD has a regular 120v plug going into it so I guess the power stuff wouldn't apply.  Well, if anyone has further ideas, I'm all ears.

Robert Holmén
------
The Robcat View
Tanassi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 08:56:58 AM »

Hi Robert,

yes, Bubba answered correctly before me  Grin
i had the info about the cable pinout using a tester and a lot of patience from the cable itself.
i'm sorry but have no info about the SD series.
it's a very old model, are you sure you have enough sensing height to stack LCD, light diffuser and protection?
with my UD 12*18 i'm at the very limit of sensing.

... Vince

bubbaflamm

Living Life at Random

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 01:50:23 AM »

WOO-HOO!  US$15+11 for shipping=working ud1212r!  just got here today.  i love ebay.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 09:08:46 PM »

Superb!

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
snootchy
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 05:15:28 AM »

Hey All,

Pleasure to meet everyone, name's Mike; but you guys can call me ultranewb!  I stumbled upon this forum (which was a godsend) since I've been itching
to get a Cintiq, except one problem...that's right $$$.  I was surfing through the sijun forums and bam light at the end of tunnel so here I am.

I am currently using a wacom intuos3 6x8 3 to 4 years back as a gift. I'm in the process of switching careers to digital illustration and am in the process of
building this DIY Cintiq.  The only knowledge I have of soldering was modding an xbox and that took me about 4hrs and ruined my friend's 4th controller port.

I recently purchased a wacom UD1212r on ebay for about 40 and of course it ain't got no power supply/serial.  I was wondering if that Fulltone FPS-1 adapter,
you listed Swtz would be compatible with this tablet I recently purchased or does it require cutting and re-routing of the wires?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 05:17:30 AM by snootchy » Logged
McBongo
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 04:54:19 PM »

Hi Like many other beginners, I am also having the same ADB cable problem. The auction description said serial so I assumed my serial converter would work grand, but it is in fact ADB.But anyhow for 1800 yen or 12 english quid Im not complaining. It seems coolgraphic stuff is sold out of cables. Also I have contacted Wacom japan in my dodgy japanese awaiting reply, but I doubt they have any. So I am thinking of making it myself. Unfortunately I am a complete beginner, I just want to run by you how I intend to make the cable.  I dont want to butcher the ADB cable I got with it. In case I give up and decide to sell it on again.

for a total idiot style step by step plan,  If anything in my plan is wrong let me know....before I screw up.

1.Procure a male to female D-sub 9pin cable from somewhere.(may require time travel)
2. Cut the cable and bare all the wires
3. using a multimeter or a tester (i.e. a lightbulb attached to a probe and battery) one by one figure out which pins are attached to which wires and label them.
4. as per the diagram reconnect and solder the wires in the diagram. If possible get a connecter to plug the powersupply in as per diagram (because I dont want to butcher the wires coming out of it.)
5.electrical tape up the whole mess and then try and get the thing running

Now I just want to completely clarify what I am reading in the diagram.
A. Pin number one on both male and female is not connected to anything.
B. the feminine ninth pin does not connect to anything.
C. this is the one that worries me. the negative Power terminal connects to the seventh pin on the tablet end, ok. But It also connects to the fifth pin on the feminine computer end and to my converter and my nice-happily-working-PC. That does not strike me as right?? Surely that cant be right??

Thanks for all the help. If I am successful. I will post an idiots guide for cable making with photos.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 05:17:33 PM by McBongo » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 05:51:07 AM »

We already have the pinout for your cable in the forum.  No need to reverse engineer it.  Ooops:  Misread your post.  You seem to be on the right track.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 05:55:54 AM by bernard » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 06:06:19 AM »

I'll try to answer your questions:   

A. yes
B. yes
C. The Pin 5 (computer side) is simply the power ground -- yes -- all connected together.  You need to share the ground for the signals to work correctly. The positive side of the power is the one you do not want to feed your shiny PC with.  So beware that you connect the good side from your power adapter.  I would strongly recommend that you connect the Wacom board without the PC first (led should operate with the pen). Then if that works, you can connect the PC.

Getting a cheap multimeter might be a good investment too, but that's just me. That way you could confirm which wire is the ground (also named COMmon) (black) and which is the positive power (red).

McBongo
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 10:06:42 AM »

Thank you Bernard for the quick reply, and patience in explaining basic concepts. I feel much at ease now that I understand the need and function of the ground wire. Thanks. I think I will invest in a basic multimeter. I’m sure I will find uses for it in the future.

BTW I did get a response from the japanese Wacom support

They sell the cables, but at 6300Yen! 42 quid 3 times the cost of the tablet. (since I don't even know if the tablet works.) I am gonna give it a miss and hack up a 9pin D-Sub that I got for 800 Yen in Yodobashi Camera.

This was the wacom shop page. sorry but its all japanese.

http://tablet.wacom.co.jp/store/detail.php?icode=1256&pcode=76
McBongo
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 04:47:46 PM »

Update, Success! I managed to make the cable and get my UD 1212r up and running. I will put together the photos I took and a step by step for other complete beginners like me at the weekend.
Now I just have to find a monitor.. hmmm.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2009, 12:48:19 AM »

Fantastic!

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »

yay!   

And a Multimeter is cool to test your batteries too btw.
McBongo
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2009, 05:39:21 PM »

As Promised Here is the complete beginners step by step.

It is possible to screw up your wacom or pc by getting the wiring wrong so make sure to double check! and most importantly. Please don't blame me I did warn you.
Many thanks to tanassi and Bernard for their instruction.

This is the original ADB cable Which is useless to my pc, I was reluctant to chop up the original cable but I thought, Who cares!nobody wants adb anyhow.

I bought a new 9Pin D-sub male to female cable cheaply at my local electronics shop.

Hacked up the original cable, Particularly I wanted the power connector.

Tanassi's very helpful Cable Diagram, In less attractive English

I chopped the cable in two and bared all the wires

I  used my shiny new multi meter to test which coloured wire was connected to each pin.
Actually the probe of my meter wasn't small enough to get into the little hole so I inserted a drawing pin and then touched the probe to that.
Which worked fine.

Then I carefully labeled the wires with their pin number
When I was checking the wires on the old wacom part of the cable I found out that one pin was connected to two wires.
So I assumed that plastic covering had perished somewhere leading to the wires touching inside. So I discarded the Wacom cable part and just kept the power input.

I also used the meter on the power connector. This is very important, If you wire the power backwards it will probably damage your wacom/ and or computer.
Anyway,I found that rather logically the inner pin was connected to the core of the wire and the outer part was connected to the surrounding wire( I don't know the technical term anode cathode etc...)

confirm which connection is which. As you can see from the Diagram on the Power supply the center is negative and the outside is Positive.
Make sure to double check because There  are varieties of both center positive and center negative . 

One by one I twisted the wires together according to the diagram and wrapped them with electrical insulation tape. I really should have soldered them. But I was eager to try out my wacom. I will get around to it perhaps...

And then Finally Sealed it all up.
After making all the connections I again used my multimeter to check the connections on all the pins. Best to be really, Strict about double checking, It only takes a few seconds to screw up.
All the connections were fine.
As Bernard Suggested Before Attaching to my pc I attached the cable and power supply just to the wacom and turned on. LED Lit ok and When I touched the pen The colour
changed OK!
then I hooked it up to The Elcom serial to usb connector and the computer detected it fine! A small step in terms of technical achievement but very gratifying all the same.
Good luck making your cable.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 05:52:08 PM by McBongo » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: