Bongofish
November 15, 2019, 05:24:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: ud1212-R cable and pen?  (Read 27428 times)
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2009, 08:10:19 PM »

Does anyone know if this pinout scheme applies to the UD-1218-R as well?
I bought one without realising it had an ADB. But, for E20,- I can live with having to make a cable myself.

Also, it comes without a power supply, the guy said he used a universal power supply with it, which he sold to someone else.
Then there's the question, negative or positive centre?
McBongo
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2009, 01:47:52 AM »

Im not too sure about that, sorry. I noticed some people are using the 1218 R in their builds, maybe try a PM and ask them. If you find out be sure to post here too. There are bound to be other people with the same problem as you.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2009, 03:10:43 AM »

AFAIK, all the UD-****-R are the same.  So yes, this will apply to that.  If you see a DB9 connector and the model number ends with "R" -- then this cable will do.

Bernard. 

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2009, 03:19:17 AM »

BTW this is a very nice and detailled tutorial! 

Just an additional note about the wacom devices:  Some models are advertised as ADB but can be adapted to serial (model must end with the letter R). If you see that the model ends with the letter "A" (as in ADB) then it is *not* going to be changeable to seRial without changing the electronics inside (nobody did this yet, I am trying to discover how to do that for some models, but we are far from a solution, so do not count on it). I learned that in the past, Wacom did offer to modify ADB board to become serial for a fee -- today it is not worth it and I do not think this is still an option.

EDIT: The so-called ADB connector from a UD-xxxx-R model is actually NOT ADB. It is just plain serial -- Mac Classic serial ports are round and "look like" ADB ports to the untrained eye -- They have more pins than ADB.  BTW, I finished my ADB to USB converter project (waxbee).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 02:44:17 AM by bernard » Logged
McBongo
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2009, 07:14:04 AM »

Thanks Bernard. I really love the bongofish community spirit! Its great fun learning about how the technology works and making it yourself.
 I didn't know there was a UD-1212-A I just copied the model number from Drews  build log when I began searching for a wacom.
I bought it off the Japanese Yahoo auction site Which was all through japanese so more chance for mistaken translation too!.
I guess I am very lucky, Phew!
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2009, 08:43:30 AM »

AFAIK, I do not think there is a UD*-A  but there are other non-UD models with a *-A (like GD*-A) -- it is a bit confusing and it is very easy to make a mistake when buying.
Patterick

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2009, 04:43:28 PM »

Hi, might get a shot on getting a XD-1218-R pretty cheap.

It has one of these old connectors and no pen. But still pretty inexpensive, which set my alarms a little off.

Is there anything wrong with that Model?

Couldn't find that much to the XD-Series here in the board
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2009, 08:06:49 AM »

XD series are the "intuos 2" -- and -- according to http://www.wacom-asia.com/aptky/607/pen.htm  only intuos 2 pen (XP-501E) will ever work on XD model.  These are harder to find.  Check for the price of a compatible pen before buying.

The "-R" most probably means this is a serial (not USB) and this is probably the main reason why people do not like them. ADB wacom are even feared to most as no new computers (MAC or PCs) actually has an ADB port and no known converters is known to work.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:10:06 AM by bernard » Logged
Patterick

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2009, 10:11:02 PM »

oh ok thanks Bernard,
good thing I didn't bought it for 65€ then Cheesy
rbritt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2010, 11:32:37 PM »

Hi, I've been trying to build one of these cables for a UD1218R I got off eBay but I'm not having any joy getting the board to power up.

I thought I'd test if the board would power up first by only connecting pins 7 and 8. I've tried a 12v and a 9v power supply and nothing happens on the board at all. I'm guessing that I should see the status light come on? I checked the board for anything that looks fried or bad but it all looks good to me. Does anyone have any advice?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2010, 04:26:55 AM »

yes -- you should see some "light" -- but only when approaching the pen to the board (I think).  I do not think there is a "power-on" led. (that is to be confirmed).

Do you have a multimeter? --- the controller board should be the same one as the one I have. (UD-1212-R)  --  One thing we could do is to investigate "test points" or "key" points on the board to see if anything differ in voltages with my board.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 09:52:05 AM by bernard » Logged
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2010, 07:48:18 AM »

the UD-1218 has a power-on led. It turns orange when the power is on, and then green when te pen is pressured.
rbritt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2010, 07:48:50 PM »

Thanks for the quick responses, it never fails to amaze me how friendly everyone is on this forum! Anyway I don't have a multimeter, I've used a battery and an LED for all of my "is this cable connected" needs Smiley (don't worry I haven't put that anywhere near the controller board!) But now it looks like I need a real grown up multimeter of my own hehe. I'll get one ordered today.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2010, 01:54:51 AM »

and up goes the bill...   CHA-CHING! $$$
rbritt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2010, 01:41:29 PM »

I am all multimetered up, yay! I'll have a little play with it, manual in hand, and figure out how this crazy contraption works first. When I'm ready do I just need to start looking at which tracks on the circuit are getting power and if its the right amounts?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: