Bongofish
November 15, 2019, 05:00:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vista woes..... :( FIXED(ish)  (Read 2466 times)
johnynoi
New Poster

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2007, 09:18:27 PM »

Recieved my GD 1209R wacom today, and guess what? Yep, its unsupprted in Vista if your using a serial to USB adapter. Im bloody gutted, when was the last time a computer got built with a serial port. My new laptop certainly does't!

Worked first time in both XP on my girlfriends laptop (my old one!) and in Ubuntu.

So anyone trying to bag an older wacom, watch out for future proofing
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 01:16:29 AM by johnynoi » Logged
johnynoi
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 01:16:05 AM »

Well now, I appear to have it mostly working, i've copied and pasted my findings from the Wacom forums here for you all you guys with serial tablets

Hi there,

In between buying and recieving my Intuos 1 tablet, my win xp laptop died! I went and bought a new one, but it has Vista on it, and no serial port. I bought a serial - USB adapter in the hope that would work but i'm having issues!

I downloaded and installed the vista compatable driver, and upon installation I recieved a message saying it had been installed succesfully. However there was no response from the tablet when I moved the pen over it. The led at the top of the tablet acknowledges that the pen is moving, but the cursor stays in the same spot on the screen. Vista also flashes up with a message saying I need to install the software for the tablet that I had just installed!!!

When I do a plug and play search under Device Manager, Vista finds the tablet and asks for the driver to be installed, so I go through the rigmarole again but with no joy.

In Device Manager, under "Human Interface Devices", Wacom HID Digitizer, Wacom HID Pen and Wacom Virtual HID Driver all show up as installed and working correctly, however Wacom HID Digitizer and Wacom HID Pen both show as having the driver supplied by Microsoft (21/06/06), whereas Wacom Virtual HID Driver is supplied by Wacom (15/11/06).

Under "Other Devices" in Device Manager is WACOM GDGD-0912-R which states there is "no driver selected for the device information set or element" (location is "prolific USB-serial Comm Port(COM3))

Under port settings I have the following info

Bits/s - 9600
Data bits - 8
Parity - none
Stop bits -1
Flow Control - none

then I get a list of Com ports to choose from (currently 3).

When I try to access "Pen Tablet" in the Control Panel I get a message saying "no supported device detected"

Sorry for the information overload but i'd really appreciate it if someone could decipher some of this and perhaps offer up some soluions to try and get this to work! (its the first time ive owned a tablet this big and now that ive seen it I don't really want to go back to my tiny Trust tablet!!)

Thanks

Johny

..........................................................................................................................................
After reading the driver readme, i was dissapointed to see that the old serial Intuos would only work with an on board serial port in Vista, and checking on the Wacom Asia site it states that it was unlikely that support would ever be added for serial-usb adapters! I was gutted, but guess what?

It works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my previous post I detailed what appeared under the Device manager settings. What I did was go to "Other Devices" where the WACOM GDGD -0912-R was, and uninstalled the driver from the properties tab there. (rather than the control panels remove software bit)I set the COM port up as COM1 in the advanced tab of Prolific USB serial Com Port, and left the settings as they were (Bits/s 9600 ect).

I then installed the Pen Tablet 501-9 driver and picked COM1 under the serial option and voila, a working tablet using serial to usb adapter.

I restarted and held my breath, expecting functionality to dissapear, but no, still working! Vista does still complain that I need to install the software for it, but just click the "do not ask me again for this device" and your done!!

Hope this helps someone else, i'm away to draw for the rest of the night!

Johny

...............................................................................................................................

Unfortunately in Control Panel, the pentablet icon still says "device not found" and the WacomTablet icon still says "Please reinstall tablet software" which is strange as its definately working??? And I seem to have most functionality in photoshop, certainly pressure sensitivity, the eraser ect are all working fine, and I didnt have them with my little Trust tablet.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: