Bongofish
September 24, 2018, 09:10:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Chingwa's Build Log  (Read 26877 times)
chingwa

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2006, 11:23:01 PM »

I cam across Drew's DIY Cintiq log about a month ago and was blown away.  First thought was... AGH!  I gotta try this!  So I'm well on my way to starting my own project.  I want a serious replacement though, something with good resolution and size so that I can crank out some nice works without getting bogged down by a small monitor.

After searching around craigslist and ebay I found a 12"x19" USB intuos for sale.  Once that was ordered I went looking for a monitor, which was harder to find for a reasonable price.  I decided finally that I would just get a new monitor and strip it down... I found a 19" widescreen by Westinghouse at BestBuy for $150.  Not a bad price.  22" would be nice... but they're more money.  The final monitor size is actually a little smaller than the wacom board, but I suppose I could upgrade it in the future when prices drop a bit Cheesy  Still it should be plenty big.

So, I'm still waiting for the wacom to show up, but hopefully I can get started on this project this week.  Instead of using the original wacom case, I plan on building my own custom case out of acrylic.  We'll see how it goes... I've never done anything like this before really, But I'll be sure to keep everyone here updated on my progress!
ya3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 12:40:59 AM »

Okay... This is going to be sweet!!! Although, you should go the whole way and get a 22" LCD Smiley Too late now, though.

I'm guessing that monitor's resolution is something like 1920x1600 or something? And is the tablet an Intuos3?
r3d373
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 02:19:18 AM »

Sounds sweet. I'll definitly be dropping by your build log, frequently.
I was planning on doing a 15" but just got a bargain on a larger tablet so might be doing a similar size.
thefool
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 02:33:02 AM »

where'd you get the bargin?  Tongue
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 04:03:34 AM by thefool » Logged
r3d373
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 10:39:32 PM »

where'd you get the bargin?  Tongue

From a US seller on ebay. (I'm in the UK)
chingwa

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 01:54:27 PM »

Well, I just heard from the ebay seller who sold me the wacom, and he's just shipping it today.  So it looks like I won't be starting this till next week.  In the meantime I've been trying to source materials for the case... acrylic sheets and etc.  Turns out, the stuff get's pretty expensive once you go beyond .25 thickness, which may change my case design somewhat.  Will have to see... everything hinges on stripping that wacom down and seeing what sizes and tolerances I'll be working with.
ya3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 12:59:13 AM »

Well if it's a 12x19" USB tablet, I'm 99% sure it's an Intuos, which would mean it has around 25mm reading height off the naked sensor board (when it's taken out of the plastic casing). I'm using a 9x12" Intuos for my project.
chingwa

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 02:01:19 AM »

Ah... actually it's a 12"x18".  And it's definately an intuos... and USB so I don't have to muck around with any power settings cords ('cept for the monitor of course)
chingwa

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 01:58:59 AM »

OK, I got the 12"x18" intuos finally... man it is a BIG sucker... and I ran into my first problem:  It doesn't work!

When I open up the wacom driver it shows the intuos 12x18 under "Tablet" but under "tool" the only thing available is "Functions".  Normally there would be a pen device there.  I have a pen for an intuos 2... and I'm assuming it's the same thing just a different color/shape.  Does anyone know how to add a pen device into the driver?  I've gone all over this thing and it isn't obvious at all.  I wonder if there is a setup program I can download to manually change setting for the intuos (GD) series?

Back to my internet searches....
alwayscraig
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 02:17:43 AM »

As far as I know you can't use a tablet's pen with an older version tablet. Example: the intuos 3 pen will not work on an intuos 2 tablet. I encountered this same problem when my intuos 2 pen broke and without thinking order a brand new intuos 3 pen thinking it'd be an improvement. I've searched for ways around this but can't seem to find any soulution. I'd recomend scoping ebay out for a while till you find a cheap pen for your tablet. Who knows though you might just find some MIRACLE SOFTWARE to fix it where you can. Hope this helps. Undecided
ya3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 02:45:31 AM »

Nope, it's impossible. Get yourself an Intuos 1 pen Wink
chingwa

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 02:51:36 AM »

AAAARHG!  Grin  Grin  Grin
So, uh, why is it that intuos pen's are $50 at amazon?  they're oold tech, should eb cheaper (disregard the obvious demand for them from schmucks like me...)

As my wife just mentioned... this thing is getting more and more expensive by the day.  Grin
ya3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 02:58:30 AM »

$50? May as well just bid on a whole tablet on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/WACOM-intuos-6x8-tablet-w-pen-and-serial-adapter_W0QQitemZ160060673662QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3680QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 08:56:27 AM »

Wacom still sell them in their online store, (they do a soft tip version as well), but it's still $40ish.
Penpartner pens work as well.  it would be worth asking on the Wacom forums for compatability as well.
IIRC there are two main types of pens. 

I might be able to find a penpartner pen. It'd be one of the chunky pens, and it's a single side switch rather than a dual.

On the other hand if you have a second small tablet you could have them both plugged in at once and mapped to different screens.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 10:33:59 AM by Drewid » Logged

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
alwayscraig
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 01:02:26 PM »

Just to be a pal for chingwa I'm going to place a bid on that tablet for 10 bucks. If I win I'll send it. Let's all prey it goes smoothly. I've got no doubt I'll win!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: