Bongofish
December 12, 2019, 07:53:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: success**fl0's Build Log (Laptop tablet)  (Read 11050 times)
fl0
« on: December 06, 2006, 01:31:59 AM »

I was inspired by the DIY Cintiq but with no extra monitor and no extra monior, I decided to use a broken PowerBook I had laying around:

I posted a work log and many more pictures on my site but I'll tell you guys some of my experiences and pitfalls here
http://fabiennemaurer.com/flo/tablet/

I used a PowerBook Titanium 800mhz which has a 15" screen and a Graphire3 6by8 I had laying around. You'll notice that there's a big discrepancy in size so I had to limit the sensing area of the screen to the size of the tablet. There are dead spots my pen can't reach on the edges of the screen.

When I first put the tablet behind the screen nothing happened so I thought it was the monitors metal shell that was interfering. After taking that apart and it still not working, I determined it was the monitor cable. The only way it would work was if I put the tablet electronics in between the cable and the lcd with the proper shielding:

http://fabiennemaurer.com/flo/tablet/TabletBook-Pages/Image29.html

Don't really know what else to say. You can find some more info out on my page but I'd be glad to answer any questions people have.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 10:11:16 AM by Drewid » Logged
chingwa

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 01:58:20 AM »

Nice!

Actually I was thinking of doing this type of thing after my first build is complete.  Having a smaller and portable digital sketchpad would be awesome!  The problem that I see with tablet PC's is they are trying to be too many things.  My idea is to simply create a useable art tablet/pc specially designed for illustrators and artists.  It doesn't have to have a soundcard... doesn't have to have a keyboard.... doesn't even have to have a typical harddrvie!  But those are lofty plans... first things first. Smiley
mecom
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 07:15:29 PM »

This is a very nice build. I think I am going to build one of these, as opposed to using the pismo that I have now, as metal has to be easier to work with than a plastic casing.
Could I possibly bug you for some information about the laptop itself? I was wondering if you could tell me the width and height of the lcd?

Also I was curious about the screen surface, do you have a protective layer inbetween the lcd and the outer case, or is the lcd construction sturdy enough for pen use?
tia
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 07:17:48 PM by mecom » Logged

mecom
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 08:34:49 PM »

fl0  doesn't visit the forums loads, maybe there's more info on his page?

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
hugdeez
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 05:56:47 AM »

I have a 12" iBook monitor ( already stripped  ) with inverter. Do i need the mainboard to power it up and actually display something? Or, can I buy and t attache DC and VGA connectors? Thanks
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 08:11:22 AM »

fl0  doesn't visit the forums loads, maybe there's more info on his page?

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
monet
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 07:05:36 AM »

I want to do this mod with my 8.9" aspire one and intuos4M.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: