Bongofish
December 08, 2019, 05:31:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Synthetiq BuildLog  (Read 34156 times)
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2009, 04:36:08 AM »

Now that's a post!  Smiley  Almost an entire thread inside a single post!  Congratulations -- as I was reading, I was about to tell you about the tuning screws to fix the wobble, but hey, you found it within that very post!  Incredible!  Tongue

Because of the USB nature of your newer board I would try to prefer that one since it will tend to work with newer OSes (serial boards do not officially work on new OSes, and nobody was able to make them work on 64bit OS Windows).

The nibs do worn with use, this is normal. You just need to find replacement nibs -- but before you order any, check that maybe you would want soft ones depending on your final cintiq "surface" (see other post about this). I do not know to what extend it "moves" but I have opened a couple of pens and it is normal that the tip is a little slack "inside".
McBongo
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2009, 10:06:35 AM »

Hey, well I hope the info can be some help to people. I love the power of the net, when everyone just puts in a little effort amazing stuff happens.
Imagine if Mr Northcott had made his wonderful screen but there wasnt a net to share the idea on. Only his neighbours and co-workers would know about it.
And lets be honest, most of our neighbours eyes glaze over when you start talking about extending your ffc's and shielding your inverters.
But thanks to our genial host we got a whole community of bongoers. Whoo hoo!!

Cellofan, no I haven't tried any of the monitors on the intuos yet, I will wait until all my cables arrive. As for the auction addiction, I am already cured, I dont need any more
parts.  unless maybe a 12x18 happened to come up at the right price...... NOOOOOooooo!
But I think once I have a successful bid( oh my, I meant build,freudian slip), the problem will subside.

I put a new nib in the pen, (actually in the photo in the previous post.)I had a couple from my original a5 graphire. also I'm not too bothered about the looseness of the
pen innards. I was just worried at the time that it could be the cause of the fault. but now its working, no worries.
On another note when I stripped the pen down MAN it was crusty! yuck, I have no Idea what this person was doing with it! But I cleaned it thoroughally with denatured alcohol
and the tablet too.  Always be careful people, you never know where other wacom users stick their pen!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 10:08:25 AM by McBongo » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2009, 04:29:26 AM »

Grin
McBongo
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2009, 07:11:18 PM »

Well it seems I am working onto my last lap here. I recieved the inverter extension Cables from pc hub, packed in a rather fetching tupperware tub no less. Also Gerhardt from DIY beamer came through and I got the FFC extender kits 28 euros.  hooked it all up and we are laughing! no bothers.

Then I tried it on top of my dis-assembled Intuos 2.

and My GOD it works!!
these are the extension cables for the inverter

the next step is cutting a window out of the tablet case

and I cut the acrylic sheet to size and fitted it in.

it looks ok in the photo but it is not a perfect job. Still for the first time ever using a dremel, I dont think I did too bad.
I decided to use the existing tv case to house the components and just bolt it on to the wacom case. At the moment it is just sitting together.
Using a soldering Iron I melted a holes where necessary to feed the invertercables and the ffcs out.
Then stuck it together and tried it again.

So that is where we are at now. I have to find a way to securely fit it all together. But it is already working. At the moment there is no shielding and there is
surprisingly little jitter just the top left.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2009, 08:16:24 PM »

Excellent,  just excellent.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2009, 10:18:26 PM »

Is this the perfect build?  Shocked  awesome!  Cool
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2009, 10:34:31 AM »

Wow! Nice one. How much reading height have you got left, and does it all fit nicely in the wacom case?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:45:33 AM by cellofaan » Logged
McBongo
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 01:42:52 PM »

I done caught me a bongofish!

Ok Well I drilled holes hot glued all over the place and attached the front of the case.
I chopped the tv stand up and stuck it on backwards. its ok, quite stable.
Unfortunately its still is not quite there yet.  Still needs a little more work.
In putting it together I lost a a few millimeters and that has had a negative effect on the pen sensitivity.
Also still a little bit of interference in the top left. I still have to shield the ffc cables. Im sure that will sort the interference.
But I have the general form for the finished screen, and I think it will just be fine tweaking from here.
The next thing will be to take it apart again and figure out where I can shave off a few millimeters.
Did other people keep the white plastic frame around the LCD screen? That would be one way.... but then I would have to build a more strongly supporting structure.
Also I think I will replace the acrylic with glass at some point in the future.
That is about all I can get done this weekend anyhow.....

Cellofan, No there is about a 1cm gap between the front and back parts of my intuos case. But its not too asthetically unpleasing. I will get around to filling it with something when I have the fine tuning done.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 01:50:37 PM by McBongo » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2009, 07:15:48 AM »

awesome-awesome-awesome  Cool -- and nice drawing! 

From the photo, it seems like you used cello-tape to hold things together  Grin  (joking)

As a general rule, I wouldn't play with the lcd parts more than necessary -- these things are sooo fragile -- if bend, they can break internally -- no joke man. I didn't get if this was just for aesthetics -- if so, then I would try to find other creative way to make it look "nice" and leave the LCD panel as is. You will have enough fun shielding your cable.

cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2009, 01:01:03 PM »

I think you can just get rid of that plastic frame. its only function seems to be to keep the lcd in place, and maybe help keeping the backlight light from coming trough around the edges. There are other ways to achieve that, and it will win you about 1 to 2 mm.
McBongo
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2009, 01:22:19 PM »

Okay I'm Done!  I took off the front case and dremelled all the connecting slats off the inside of it.
That gave me the couple of millimeters I needed. Put It all back together and It is working Fine! The minor interference has also gone! So no need for the shielding. Yay.
And so my build is done! Aaah, and my auction addiction is also cured.

I want to say a massive Thank you to Drew. I really wanted a screen for such a long time but I just couldn't justify the expense. It is so wonderful to be able to use, I'm so happy. THANK YOU, and on top of that for setting up this forum and generously helping and advising the people. Also a big thanks to Bernard cellofan and the other members Kindly advising me.

I guess I'm ready to be moved into the hallow'd "Successful builds" category.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2009, 03:59:28 PM »

Fantastic.  I shall do so

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: