Bongofish
December 14, 2019, 05:42:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How big/which Wacom?  (Read 6050 times)
NoRights

How YOU doin'?

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2007, 08:12:36 AM »

As I've been planning my build, I figured I should ask for some ideas, particularly from those who've completed their's and especially those with bigger displays. As I mentioned in my intro thread, I've got both a Graphire 4x5 and an Intuos 6x8. Since they're both new and pretty I thought I'd buy another Wacom for this project to see what kind of budget I can set for it. I've heard it suggested that the bigger tablets are kinda too big, which I could understand. What I'm wondering about is how much of an impact actually drawing on the image has. Do you find yourself using the entire space more because it's not so disjointed? Is it better to have a large screen on a desk or would you rather be able to fit your finished build in your lap?

A second-ish question is what's everyone's experience on using older tablets? I noticed the difference in moving to the Intuos over the Graphire. I kinda doubt going from an Intuos 3 to a 1 would be as drastic, but I'm wondering about the other models because they're less pricey on the eBay.  Grin

-Ben
dynam1c

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 03:17:06 PM »

I moved from a graphire to intuos (4x5) and noticed the difference but since my built was on the 12x12 intuos 1 or whatever version it is, there wasnt much difference. The intuos is definatly the best out of the wacom lot.

I disliked large tablets, I found I prefer drawing on the small ones they give a nicer tight curve however I also noticed that I was using alot more wrist twist when drawing on a small tablet, unlike paper where I draw keeping the wrist striaght and moving the whole arm.

The 12x12 build that I did having recently completed has seriously changed my view of larger tablets,  maybe its the fact im not drawing on the table but looking up at a screen? But I love this drawing straight on what you can see, it feels so much more natural and I find myself treating it like pen on paper.

Using the wacswitch software throwing I draw away on the tiq and throw the window over to my better 19 inch colour calibrated etc etc monitor check everything is looking correct and throw it back over to continue working.

I've mapped the keys 7 and 9 on the keypad to switch between the monitors so its super quick.

I do alot of 3D work, and to be honest I noticed my work method speed up by 10 fold, simple because I no longer have to hover around the area where I believe a point is following the mouse arrow pointer and homing in before clicking down on the tablet, now its simple the mouse follows me, im not following the mouse. Cheesy
If you get what I mean.

Size of the build depends on what you want to do with it, I work in several different locations so I have a padded a3 carry case, (well I added the padding myself) and at the end of the day simple throw the screen into the case and off I go.
NoRights

How YOU doin'?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 05:48:45 PM »

Yeah, I know what you mean about drawing more from the arm as opposed to the wrist with a bigger tablet. That's a good thing, really, since it frees your lines up and makes them bigger. It reminded me alot of drawing classes where you move from a confined section to a broader stroke. I'd just be concerned about having space I would end up not using. My main problem with using a tablet has been that loss of bite you get from drawing on a plastic surface. But I'm thinking my response might be different with the image right under me. I dunno. I haven't had any experience with tablet screens to go on.

Anyway, I'm debating whether my first build should be a large one or something lap-sized and portable. I'm still eBay fishing right now and just seeing what's out there. If anybody else has a 12" or bigger build I'd certainly appreciate some comments from them.

-Ben
Tanassi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 06:28:05 PM »

hi Townie,

i'm building a 12x18" tablet with a 20.1" wide monitor and i cannot imagine nothing smaller to draw, but don't trust me i'm a real megalomaniac Grin
i think it's of course possible to draw in a smaller sheet like A4 but since i have to try why don't build something BIG!
seriously i fell in love with the Cintiq 21UX and would try to replicate it.
anyway the advantage of a digital paper sheet is that you can ZOOM, an bring a tiny detail to full screen. you can't do this on real paper.

... Vince

btw: i like the character in your signature Wink
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 06:30:20 PM by Tanassi » Logged

Messyhair

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 11:48:12 PM »

I am building a ud-1218 (12x18) tablet myself. I was struggling with the same dilemma, small and portable, or big and awesome. I went with the large mostly because I kept getting outbid on the bay of E for smaller tablets.  my overall goal now is to build a beautiful big 19 to 20 inch Simtiq, and a nice animation disc and desk for it to go into.  This is the learner one for me, and I hope to learn enough to figure out how to make a nice little porti verson for the park and cafe use.  You got to take advantage of the sun when you can in San Francisco, especially when you're a milk white animation nerd like myself.

the advantages it seems for a smaller build is cheaper wacoms and external power monitors. large you get those broad strokes and a less cluttered viewing area. I personally am looking to go from hobbyist to pro, and a large successful build and nifty new work area will hopefully help.

Big mess
dynam1c

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 03:21:13 AM »

mess take note.. If your a nerd who likes drawing outdoors..

firstly powersupply ! the monitor requires a socket even if your tablets usb.. and secondly, bright ass monitor else all you will see is your own face in the screen unless you sit in the shade which makes it all pointless but then again if your doing a self portrait then maybe its all good.
 Grin
NoRights

How YOU doin'?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 04:15:09 AM »

btw: i like the character in your signature Wink
Thanks. It's Abbey Chase from Danger Girl. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_Girl) A friend on Forumopolis made it for me.  Grin

I'm thinking I'll make a big build to learn the technique. I'm hopefully moving to a desktop with a nice display after being on laptops the last couple years so it'd be a good addition. And if I don't like the size I could more than likely sell it for enough money to finance a smaller build.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 04:21:58 AM by Townie » Logged

-Ben
Messyhair

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 06:17:22 PM »

@dynam1c
yeah, I know the limitations of a backlight in the sun. I dont know if you've ever been to SF, but its not really sunny, almost never. my laptop screen works well enough for the slightly cloudy days when I make it out to the park.

As for the power supply limitations, I was planning on eventually doing a build with a laptop monitor and its own laptop battery and a usb graphire. the only cable involved would be the DVI connection and a power supply for charging.  But this is the dream unit, not eh one I am working on.

@townie
Gen 13 was one of my first artistic influences. I've moved on to more of an etching style (or joseph Coil), but J. Scott Campbell will always be one of the firsts. and Art Adams.

Mess
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 06:42:58 PM »

Check out flo's build log  he has his site posted in the build logs forum

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 01:27:49 PM »

I feel the same.   I don't think I'd go smaller than a 15" monitor unless it was for a laptop or summat.

I'd love to go for a 19"-20", mainly because I've got a shiny new monitor at work which makes my tablet look dull and grey.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
NoRights

How YOU doin'?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 05:36:15 PM »

Just found this link and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with it. http://thinkyhead.com/tabletmagic/ It's supposed to enable older wacoms to work in OS X.

-Ben
Messyhair

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 11:20:23 PM »

that link is already on the site, but I happen to be looking for it right this moment, so thanks for reading my mind....

mess
NoRights

How YOU doin'?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 04:50:14 PM »

I'm just wondering how reliable Tabletmagic is. Because I can see it being cheaper to get an older serial tablet, but if it's gonna be an uphill climb to make the build work on a Mac (My soon to be primary machine) then I might just stick with a USB

-Ben
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 05:47:31 PM »

If you want, I will try it out later.  Im on my mac right now, never tried tablet magic tho

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
NoRights

How YOU doin'?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 06:41:03 PM »

Thanks. I'd greatly appreciate it

-Ben
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: