Bongofish
December 10, 2019, 08:56:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amity CP FORSELL + BIT BULLET BOUGHT TOSHIBA TECRA M7  (Read 7352 times)
light8192
New Poster

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2006, 04:15:29 AM »

Hey guys,
I want to let you know that i bit bullet and bought a Toshiba Tecra M7. I got it for a great price though. I think the tablet pcs are better then the CINTIQ anyway because you can take them with you where you.  I'm still waiting on mine to get here but very excited.  I also ordered an AMITY CP before I found such a great deal.  I spent a lot of time getting drivers and stuff to work with it.  It works very well but I don't need it now. The PEN doesnt have an eraser and runs windows ME but I was able to get ArtRage v1.1 on it. Its a sad slow but it is much easier to draw on then my wacom 12x12 and i was using it for 10 years.  So, do yourself favor and BUY a TABLET PC. Throw the wacoms away. Smiley  I think you'll be happy.  I can't wait for the tecra to get here.  The batteries are having some problems on me for this unit and I still dont have an AC but you can buy a universal AC.  I will verify the batteries work before shipping and Ive been gauranteed replacements already.

Here's a link to my auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120063626963&rd=1&rd=1

Also another auction for a CINTIQ like display - NOT MINE:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330060913530&rd=1&rd=1

I wouldnt buy a cintiq now though because I think the tablet pcs are better. cintiq has many same limitations of the regular wacom.  Go tablet PC. Its smarter. Smiley
alwayscraig
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 04:42:21 AM »

i disagree
MrSlippy
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 04:56:32 AM »

yeah...thanx for the 'advice' but its really little more than a glorified ad for your auction...the whole point of 'design issues' is to talk about tablet related construction issues, is it not? i dont really see much of that to do with your post...but anyway, thanks for the suggestion, and good luck with your auction, i guess...
light8192
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 05:05:21 AM »

Yep, its an ad but second 1 is not mine. But I'v read a lot of people using the CINTIQ moving to the Tecra m7.  Let me explain why I mention tablet PC as superior to Cintiq:

Limitations of regular wacom intuous

* Must look at screen but move hand on another surface. It is very tiring compared to drawing on LCD
* Tied to desk. Can not draw away from computer desk.
* Can not rotate the tablet

Benefits

* Can use large display
* Can use large drawing surfae

Ideal Suited for:
* Painting

Cintiq Limitations
* Can not draw away from computer desk
* Can not rotate display. I know it has a stand that offers rotations but not sure how much it can rotate
* Medium size screen without secondary monitor

Tablet PC Benefits:
* Yes, can rotate display
* Can daw on screen
* Can draw on away from computer desk

The Tecra may be too heavy but with the Amity then I can sit on couch and draw on it like a pad of paper.  Amity is nice because its cheap (relative) and very light.  It feels like pad of paper. Not as responszie as my wacom or as powerful as tecra I'm getting but very light.
light8192
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 05:08:05 AM »

Let me add also what I think would be best is a  3 POUND Tecra M7 that you could mount on a stand liek the cintiq or hold in lap. Smiley  I just read lof people moving to tablet pcs.  Amity is limited but drawing on couch is much nicer. If you already draw on paper and scan then you may not see the benefit.  but for me.. getting untied is major benefit. Anyway, I know some people are in it for hardware hacking and the thrill but Im as an artist just thinking I dont think Id like the cintiq a smuch as tablet pc.
light8192
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 05:12:24 AM »

1 MORE THING. IF YOU ARE LOOKIGN FOR DESIGN ISSUES then best to build it so it works with the Cintiq stands.  You can find them on EBAY for very cheap.  You can also find the digitizer boards cheap on EBAY. Occasionally you'll find a PL-400 or pl-500 for cheap with no VLDS board too.  I was keeping some of my ideas secret so as not to make things more difficult but now Ive kinda went a different route.  If I were going to the wacom project then firrst thing Id buy the cintiq stand from EBAY for mouting.
MrSlippy
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 05:48:40 AM »

With all due respect, the whole point of building this thing is to address the very issues youre trying to disclaim by buying a tablet PC...the CINTIQ has a rotatable stand, 360 degrees, can be carried away from the pc (obviously limited to the cable length, but you never know, you could make some kind of bluetooth/wireless connection...just an idea) and the whole point of the homebuilt project, if you read it, is to draw directly onto the screen, exactly like a tablet PC. Added to the fact that this DIY project is a huge amount less to construct than a tablet PC is to buy.
One last, very important point. This is Homebrew. DIY. Homebuilt. Almost all of the fun of this project is in the building, the designing, the self satisfaction of completing a project. DIY...Do It YOURSELF.....the entire point of these pages, this forum, is to MAKE one of these things...sure, we can all go out and buy a tablet PC, but what on earth is the point of that? Its like saying, 'whats the point in making art when you can go to a gallery and buy a ready made, arguably better piece of art'. Because WE dont get to MAKE it, thats why, and thats half the fun.
Anyway, I can see why a tablet PC is a good idea, but then, if we all go out and buy a tablet PC, this website, and forum become obselete, and thats the whole reason we are here.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 09:29:09 AM »

Well said mr Slippy.
I make stuff because I like making stuff.
I sit on my couch and paint with my screentablet and my laptop by my side. It's great.

If I want a portable device I'll build one.

:thankyewverymuch:

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Clint

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 01:41:44 PM »

Plus, making one is cheaper. My totals is a little less then $60. I doubt you can get a tablet for $60.
genocell
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 05:09:12 AM »

Sorry for being honest light8192, but I tried a tablet pc for painting/drawing and it pretty much sucked performance wise. Worse than a graphire. I'd choose a fullblown computer and a wacom Intuos any second of the year if you are going to be serious in your graphic. That or Cintiq (which in my case the price is quite ludicrous - 2500? OUCH!  Shocked

Which is why a DIY Cintiq is a very attractive prospect to some people who are serious enough to take the risk. Good luck in sellimg your tablet PC.  Smiley

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 08:27:18 AM »

My laptop can't keep up when I'm doing an A2 size piece, well not with blur and push type operations anyhow, and it's a reasonable machine.   

I'm thinking of getting a motherboard with a fast dual processor, fast drive, 4Gb RAM.  The onboard graphics would probably be no worse than a fast videocard for 2D stuff.  I can get it a bit at a time, prices aren't too bad specially if I spread it out and get it from the States.  (Exchange rate is especially good right now).
Apart form the power supply (which I could do as an external box) it could be tiny,  all in one case with the wacom. a 19" flight /rack case with a flip-off top would be spot on.

alwayscraig
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 10:48:09 AM »

Does no one care about the sensitivity a wacom tablet/cintiq/anything offers? I've never heard of a tablet pc offering all the capabilities a wacom product offers. I'm not really sure an artist would be well fit with a tablet pc at all. There's a reason the wacom tablets and cintiqs are on the market and there is a reason why this diy project is such a big deal. If tablet pcs are so wonderful I believe none of these things listed would even be spoken of. yup

(edit) :
Ohh yeah light I think you're at the wrong forum budday.
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 11:11:35 AM »

Not sure.
I know wacom license some of their technology to some tablet manufacturers, but I think there are limitations imposed by the screen size/depth/ machine speed.

That's the real reason I want to build mine with desktop parts, I beileve you get better bang/buck ratio than with laptop parts, plus it's more easily upgradable.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: