Bongofish
August 18, 2019, 12:51:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling custom builds?  (Read 10959 times)
Bob Rivard
New Poster

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2007, 11:52:03 PM »

I'm sure it's crossed the minds of many here, but I'm really interested in what some of you may charge to build a DIY cintiq for somebody else.

I've been browsing through a lot of the build logs, really admiring some of the work... especially Chems', the Samtiq, Drew's and so on.

I'm considering building one of my own, but I'm not too experienced with this sort of thing and I'm also not sure I could devote the time to it either. I do like to tinker around, but still not sure if I wanna risk it.

Now, I'm not 100% set on the idea of getting somebody else to do it for me, but I would like to get an idea of what it might cost, then weigh my options. So to those that have been successful and relatively time efficient with their builds, what would you charge?

I see it happening like this:

-We'd consult, determine the necessary parts and costs
-I'd pay a deposit/percentage of full price (25% ?)
   -Hold money in escrow?
-You show me it's finished and working
-I pay remaining balance and shipping costs

I know the e-bay purchasing is really the only tricky part. I don't think I'd feel comfortable buying all the parts myself and having them shipped to the builder. I'd rather find somebody that's comfortable taking a deposit and paying for the parts on their own, knowing they'd be reimbursed later on. I think there's less of a risk for the builder.

Anyway... if anyone wants to shoot a few numbers at me, you can post them here, get me on AIM or MSN or PM me... whatever works.

Thanks,
Bob
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:55:49 PM by Bob Rivard » Logged

Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 03:12:21 AM »

Numbers could all depend and I wouldn't do it only for the fact that I don't want to break something and have to pay for it.

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 12:58:30 PM »

Im pretty confident I could recreate my build, or a bigger build with out mistake. The main factor at the moment is that the pounds is so strong against the dollar, just over 2 dollars to the pound, I can now get an Intuos3 like the one I used for a mere £180. On top of that add shipping and Export which comes to about £30 (I paid £26 for mine) then the monitor I used can be picked up for £50 from ebay plus shipping (£10) and then its just a case of getting a few FFC extenders from DIY Beamers which costs about £9 and then assembly.

Im saying I could do an identical build of mine for about £250. Plus on top of that a bit of labour and the final shipping.

My DIY Cintiq will be up for sale in the comming months anyhow, Im looking for around £320 for it. Cheap as chips I think! Im sure I spent a lot more than that on it, but it was so much fun doing it!

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 10:25:57 PM »

I think I could do one for under 250 USD, which is about half of that, but only because the prices are soooo much cheaper

Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 11:21:24 PM »

But with older parts? I bought my intuos from america which made it nice an cheap. Brand new.

naspc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 12:31:01 AM »

oh boy!  drew's humble diy dream has caught the capitalistic bug!

and by the way we accept all major credit cards no personal checks money orders and paypal accepted also.
Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 02:04:35 AM »

I have already talked to drew about producing things like these lol

naspc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 01:31:41 PM »

ooooooo.....meeting of the minds!
do we have the seeds of wacoms demise?
Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 11:24:07 PM »

I think if you really did start doing something like that, Wacom would come after you as your using one of their products in another product. For the homebrew sale I dont think they mind at all, cause they still got there sales.

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 11:57:17 PM »

Why not,
they are used in the modbook, I doubt wacom gave them permission.  But mabye.

Even if then, people wouldnt be allowed to sell their wacoms on ebay.  Its just selling a wacom with an lcd in a case included

naspc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 01:12:10 PM »

may be if you don't mention wacom it would ok?
Messyhair

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 06:40:48 PM »

I believe in the case of the modbook, they are probably buying new digitizer boards directly from wacom.

mess
Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 06:48:19 PM »

so, how does that make a difference?

Messyhair

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 10:50:08 PM »

Well, it seems to me that the ones used in the mod books are of the same sort that are used in other tablet PCs.  I would also assume that the makers of the mod book buy directly for wacom, and wacom is fully aware of what the end product will be.  I believe the Cintiq is a very fine product made with high end parts for pro users.  Our little DIY space poses no real threat to the company even if we all start a little side business.  THe worst that may occur from our tinkering is Wacom might drop prices to sell more units to those unwilling to hack up a tablet and monitor for themselves.  Fear of tech is what keeps the corporation's chubby, and when and if wacom sees what we are doing and and gives a shit, lowering cintiq prices is their best bet on keeping the market to themselves.

just my opinion.

mess
Bob Rivard
New Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 03:46:17 AM »

Im pretty confident I could recreate my build, or a bigger build with out mistake. The main factor at the moment is that the pounds is so strong against the dollar, just over 2 dollars to the pound, I can now get an Intuos3 like the one I used for a mere £180. On top of that add shipping and Export which comes to about £30 (I paid £26 for mine) then the monitor I used can be picked up for £50 from ebay plus shipping (£10) and then its just a case of getting a few FFC extenders from DIY Beamers which costs about £9 and then assembly.

Im saying I could do an identical build of mine for about £250. Plus on top of that a bit of labour and the final shipping.

My DIY Cintiq will be up for sale in the comming months anyhow, Im looking for around £320 for it. Cheap as chips I think! Im sure I spent a lot more than that on it, but it was so much fun doing it!

Yeah, the value of the pound is killing us in the US. It's really about twice the value of the US dollar... Horrible

Anyway, I appreciate the responses. And Chems, I might be interested in your build when it goes up for sale. That price is definitely much more appealing than $2500 or even $1500.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: