Bongofish
June 24, 2018, 02:16:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No display?  (Read 2664 times)
bacon
New Poster

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2007, 05:40:32 PM »

Hey I'm planning on starting my own build soon, and I'm currently tracking down parts on ebay.

Here's the question:

I found a Samsung Syncmaster 15" for super cheap, it powers on but there is no display and the seller would rather buy a new one than fix it.  Is this a fixable problem, thus providing me with an easy $20 monitor, or would it be a waste of my resources to scoop it up?
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 08:32:20 PM »

Hi Bacon, welcome to the forum.

Tricky one.  If there really is zero on the display the I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. 
If there is a display showing but no light (really really dark), then you could replace the light tubes with new tubes or LEDs.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
bacon
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 08:46:47 PM »

Sounds like theres no display at all.  Anyway, I found a working monitor that I hope I can get fairly cheap (well under 100, with any luck). It's an HP Pavilion F50... any reason I should avoid this one?  it's got an external power supply, which I've heard lots of praise for.
Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 08:56:14 PM »

If its been dropped or such then you could assume the LCD is knackered. But if its powering up and you cant see anything on the screen its probably just a case of broken/blown CFFC bulbs.

To solve this I refer you to my sig, "He who dares draws on a DIY Cintiq" if you wanna do it cheap you mite wanna risk it.

Thou if your not to sure about the whole build process I dont recommened starting off with faulty components as its just going to make it harder.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: