Bongofish
December 08, 2019, 01:39:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monitor issue  (Read 8731 times)
Bhrazz

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2006, 07:13:41 PM »

Alright, I know people here are not expert but at least smart and helpful, this is what I need for my question. My monitor is been(maybe monitor) displaying my images weidly.
Look this image:

When painting in black. Save image and zoom in. Look like my color arent render correctly in 32 bits.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/clos3d/pixel.jpg

Look at the airbrush how is not smooth:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/clos3d/bad-gradient.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/clos3d/gradientP.jpg

So the question i am on is: Can my monitor afffect the way I render images? I've been trying my monitor on others computer and it was doing the same thing. So I'm confuse. I can't solve the probleme and is driving me nuts for a week now.... Anyone have a suggsestion?
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 08:24:25 PM »

What monitor is it?

Perhaps a gamma problem? Is there a setting in the monitors menus for gamma?

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Bhrazz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 10:30:56 PM »

What monitor is it?

Perhaps a gamma problem? Is there a setting in the monitors menus for gamma?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10075693&catid=22335&logon=&langid=EN
LG L204WT, the one i'll use with the wacom project. And yes there is a menu gammer whitin the monitor. What you are pointing me make me think it might be the ''intelligent'' color/screen resolution that cause this. I don't know. I will try with a analog cable. I doubt the monitor option will work with a analog cable or am I wrong?
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 11:50:44 PM »

Do a google for "quick gamma" (I think).
It's a display programme to help set up the gamma (more or less) correctly by hand,  If i've got he name wrong I'll post it up tomorrow, I've got it at work.

Differnt options may work with digital or analogue,  you might actually get more options with analogue, for example one of my work monitors will only allow contrast adjustments when it's on an analogue signal, when it's on digital it expects the video card to do it. Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 11:53:12 PM by Drewid » Logged

Bhrazz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 06:09:48 AM »

Do a google for "quick gamma" (I think).
It's a display programme to help set up the gamma (more or less) correctly by hand,  If i've got he name wrong I'll post it up tomorrow, I've got it at work.

Differnt options may work with digital or analogue,  you might actually get more options with analogue, for example one of my work monitors will only allow contrast adjustments when it's on an analogue signal, when it's on digital it expects the video card to do it. Roll Eyes

Just by curiousity, we'r both in gaming, where do you work?
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 10:47:27 AM »

Ignition Entertainment, used to be Awesome studios, Awesome developments before that.
Prior to 2000 I was at Microprose UK for 8-9 years.

Bhrazz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 06:47:06 PM »

Ignition Entertainment, used to be Awesome studios, Awesome developments before that.
Prior to 2000 I was at Microprose UK for 8-9 years.

I almost went to UK 1 years ago at eutechnyx but I couldnt get my visa=|
I'm pretty glad I know someone who worked in game industry when I was 5 years old:).

Btw did you find that quick gamma thing?
Bhrazz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 09:37:04 PM »

Been playing with monitor all day. I found a new option behind the screen with some ''best result'' for : Movie, Text, User define, Default. Is called an intelligent engine. That make me think is causin my issue...  Color look fine, is just about color gradient that don't look smooth at. Look layered instead=|
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 09:43:07 PM by Bhrazz » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 11:54:30 PM »

Before I was at Microprose I was freelance for four years, and a graphic designer for a year before that, do I started graphics in '86 and games in '87

oooooollllllllllld

It looks like the bit-depth is wrong, perhaps the "intelligent engine" tries to steal bits from where they're not usually noticed.so at extreme dark shades it uses a lower bit depth? so brighter colours can have more definition.

It might be worth googling to see if this is a common problem with those monitors? 

Bhrazz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 01:19:55 AM »

Before I was at Microprose I was freelance for four years, and a graphic designer for a year before that, do I started graphics in '86 and games in '87

oooooollllllllllld

It looks like the bit-depth is wrong, perhaps the "intelligent engine" tries to steal bits from where they're not usually noticed.so at extreme dark shades it uses a lower bit depth? so brighter colours can have more definition.

It might be worth googling to see if this is a common problem with those monitors? 

So far with all my research your the only one who gave me an ''intelligent'' response like
It looks like the bit-depth is wrong, perhaps the "intelligent engine"
I've been doing researsh for 1week now (around 30 hours total) and I didn't see anyone with such a problem. However I know most of people don't have good eyes like artist does...

Is funny cause with a analog display I get more option with my screen (some are locked while using DVI). Anyways, I'm thinking in selling this one and buy a cheaper one for my home made cintiq and get a CRT as well.
Dunno yet but hope is not something I still have....

Found this in googling:

I just picked up today a LG 204WT LCD. Text are sharp but I'm disappointed when I opened an image in Photoshop. The gradient part or shaded part is not smooth. It's like rough lines. It's like a banding issue. Is there something wrong with the monitor I bought?

It's setup at 1680x 1050, 60hz, Millions.

anyone have the same problem?

You could have a 6 bit panel.
6bit versus 8bit LCD panels (http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/LCDColor.htm) <-- linky

6bit (per channel) LCDs cannot generate as many distinct colors, this may contribute to the banding you see.

And a very interesting discussion here.....
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=72095&sid=b9e29e208a8735653ae4511cc54f7b5b

Anyways, right now I'm not into monitors very well, I mean, I don't know ALOT about it and I can't live with this kind of depht color bug. I'm not sure if ALL LCD do this kind of thing but I am willing to buy a much cheaper one just to have the good color/Good shading.
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 12:18:42 PM »

That sounds like it.  a 6 Bit panel would do that.

Bhrazz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 01:35:10 PM »

How to avoid that? Your panel is more? Mine is fukn brand new of the year=|
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 03:21:19 PM »

google a lot I guess
Try to find which panel a monitor has, there are lists out there, then try to fins tech specs for that panel, which should give a bit depth.

Bhrazz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 03:27:44 PM »

google a lot I guess
Try to find which panel a monitor has, there are lists out there, then try to fins tech specs for that panel, which should give a bit depth.

It get so much on my nerve, when You buy a monitor it gives all the info but this. I found  samsung with a 24 depht tho. Read the customer review and it seem very nice. We'll see.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: