Bongofish
November 22, 2019, 05:39:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting a Build, first post, reccomend a monitor?  (Read 4152 times)
karmakat
New Poster

View Profile WWW
« on: May 26, 2007, 03:00:58 PM »

Hi all! Great community here, and brilliant idea Drew!

I am starting a build, and I am going to use a Wacom Intuos3 9x12.

This will be my first foray into any type of electronics since some crappy LED wood fish in wood shop 16 years ago (aside from regualr computer hardware)

I am looking for some recommendations as to what kind of monitor and model i should use for my particular project. What was easiest and successful for you guys out there?

Also, if someone can recommend a Dremel set out there i can buy online?

I am also going to take the challenge of doing this for hopefully no more than $400 Canadian dollars.

Can't wait to get started!

Thx ppl!  Lips Sealed

- KarmaKat

Aleks Berland
CG Artist / Modeler
http://karmakat.ca
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 04:59:01 PM »

Dell 1503fp has been used sucessfully a number of times, but so have a number of different monitors now.   The dell is getting a bit old so doesn't have the contrast and colour range of a more recent screen.   I need to wack up the contrast on mine if I'm in a bright environment,  ( If you're using a vga input you can adjust using the screen controls, with a DVI input you have to do it from the graphics card.)     

Depends how much colour accuracy and contrast matter, compared to a "known build"  to you I guess.  Cheesy

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
karmakat
New Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 05:35:55 PM »

Thanks for your response drew!

That's tough. I would like to have pretty good contrast and colour range, but I am no perfectionist. The thrill of creating one of these successfully will be quite a bit for me.
so a 15' inch Dell 1503fpi...They sure are cheap! lots of good deals out there.... I wouldn;t mind trying another monitor if it has been used before by someone on their build...
Been reading alot of posts but haven;t quite sifted that out yet... the best one for the wacom i am planning on getting... intuos3 9x12.

What builds use that tablet?

-aleks

Aleks Berland
CG Artist / Modeler
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 03:45:47 AM »

Naspc and Chems

good luck

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
karmakat
New Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 07:21:55 PM »

Cool. THX.

Actually has anyone used the Intuos 1 series? Like the GD-0912-U ?

- Aleks

Aleks Berland
CG Artist / Modeler
karmakat
New Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 08:53:31 PM »

Ok, so I bought my tablet:

199.75 US , http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200113648191

leaving me with around 120 canadian left for the LCD and any other supplies

Not bad... still within my $400 budget for the whole project.

Anyone use this model? or similiar?

some cracks in the tablet case so i think i will be refitting this inside the LCD case....

- aleks

Aleks Berland
CG Artist / Modeler
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 10:28:32 PM »

Re colour n stuff.  What I usually do is run a clone screen so I can constantly check colour etc.  I like checking stuff on a number of monitors anyhow seeing as none of mine are callibrated.

To be honest the only reason reaslly started to I noticed it as any sort of a problem was when I got a spanking new superscreen at work.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 12:07:58 AM »

some cracks in the tablet case so i think i will be refitting this inside the LCD case....

LOL, good luck with that.

Do you realise that the Board of the WACOM covers the entire case, not just the active area. Ive got a picture somewhere......

In that picture, the green massive circuit board is the wacom board, all one piece. And the white bit in the middle is the area of the LCD. So as you can see, inless your LCD case is magical you wont fit it in the LCD case.

I suggest trying to fit it all in the Wacom case, because inless your the worlds most careful worker, which ever case you work with its bound to get a few scratches etc in the build.

And heres my build based on the Intuos3:

Upright:

True Drawing Postion:

Im sure you could do something very similar with the Intuos2 as thats what I originally planned, but my tablet was no good so I got a Intuos3.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: