test1
June 25, 2017, 08:08:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital Photo Frame  (Read 11644 times)
JustWannaVW
New Poster

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2007, 08:59:06 PM »

Has anyone ever built their own photo frames?  Below is mine, the picture of the electronics has the back removed.  They are not usually exposed.

:: M

Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 10:30:44 PM »

Wow thats pretty sweet, are you running it off your blackberry?

JustWannaVW
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 09:10:37 AM »

Wow thats pretty sweet, are you running it off your blackberry?

HAHA no, the cable for my blackberry is just wall charger.  It's running off of an old school laptop.
I wrote a bit of code that goes and FTP's all my pictures down from my webserver nightly so it is no maintenance basically.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 01:31:26 PM »

A few questions:

Resolution?
How fast can you flip between pictures?
Can you cross-fade?
Do pics fit in memory or are they on disk?

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
JustWannaVW
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 01:39:37 PM »

A few questions:

Resolution?
How fast can you flip between pictures?
Can you cross-fade?
Do pics fit in memory or are they on disk?

The res is 1024 x 768, looks great in person....pictures don't really do it justice. 

I added some memory to the laptop so it transitions between photos fairly quick considering it is < 500 MHz!

To display the photos I'm using a software called screen paver which has all types of really nice transitions (<$15 USD).  Makes it look really nice and smooth.

I have about 2 gigs of photos on the frame, which are stored on the HD....I may try and cut back on the number of pictures and try and go to a solid memory so the frame would be completely silent.  Using the hard drive works pretty well, I can't say that there would be any performance gain by using flash memory.

:: M
gmanx
New Poster

Pixel Pimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 02:37:04 PM »

Sounds great, but I can't see the pictures... Sad

Old enough to know better - young enough not to care..
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 05:45:11 PM »

Not to warp this back to Symtiq talk...but I wonder if you could work anything with one of those digital picture frames or cheap dvd players to make a smaller format symtiq?
Rayall

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 05:50:23 PM »

Not to warp this back to Symtiq talk...but I wonder if you could work anything with one of those digital picture frames or cheap dvd players to make a smaller format symtiq?

I already tried to open one of those since it was giving to us for free, and we had little use for it. They are extremely hard to open.

Also, some of the recent Digital Frames were shipped with a virus, so just research the brand if you decide to get one.
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 07:48:12 PM »

Wow. That's insane... I was looking at my Graphire 6x8 tablet this morning wondering the same question.

The only big problem I can forsee is that you'd have no way to connect the screen to the computer. The other problem would be getting around the horrible resolution (generally much less than 800x600).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 07:50:36 PM by AndreZX » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 08:23:51 PM »

BUT resolution is partly a function of size.  Pixels per inch.

You can get TV type monitors that sort of size, if it has an SVHS component input you might be able to run it from some video cards.

Photo shop would be horrible but that alias sketch thing might work that small.

*lights blue touch paper, runs away cackling....
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 08:25:55 PM by Drewid » Logged

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 11:56:32 PM »

BUT resolution is partly a function of size.  Pixels per inch.

You can get TV type monitors that sort of size, if it has an SVHS component input you might be able to run it from some video cards.

Photo shop would be horrible but that alias sketch thing might work that small.

*lights blue touch paper, runs away cackling....

Well that's what I mean. Anything with menus would be totally unusable. What about Artrage? That seems like it has a pretty non-intrusive interface.
Puddlebrook
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 10:46:09 PM »

Hi,

I use my Sony e-reader to display my photo's (800x600 and a very good tonal range, shame it's not in colour though) - lasts for weeks on one charge if the photos are stored on the internal memory.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: