Bongofish
November 17, 2019, 06:47:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 Remote Light Mod - Progress Pics Inside  (Read 13078 times)
Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2007, 01:36:53 PM »

So as you will know Ive been looking for something to nerd. Now recently my friends 360 got the 3 red lights of death, which I of course managed to fix whilst making my uber build. But now its broken again. The problem stems from Microshafts inability to put decent fans in the case. So it overheats and melts the solder making components come out. So Its coming back to my workbench and Im going to install the nice Zalman 80mm silent fan over the GPU and CPU which will require me cutting through the metal casing and also the plastic casing. Should be good fun.

But whilst reading an xbox360 forum trying to find the best way to pull the power from the Motherboard for the fan I stumbled across this guy who had taken a 360 Remote:

And had wired in a switch so that the X button lights up green. So Ive just bought one off of ebay for a mere tenner and am going to take it a step further.

Ive got some Conductive Silver Paint, and Im going to paint to stripes down the side of the controller. Then have have small wires touching the silver stripes at the ends connected into a bi state LED, so when you pick up the controller the X goes green as your hand completes the circuit.

But thats not all, as the LED is bi-state Im going to steal the power of the InfraRed LED for the remote to the second state, so when you press a key it goes Red. Its going to be very cool, and should only cost a few quid to do. And hopefully should satisfy my need to do DIY things.

I will keep a mini log here.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 11:47:45 PM by Chems » Logged

Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 11:44:16 PM »

So here it is so far. Ive got the bi state LED in play. And the X button lights up red when you press a key. Next I want to try and get it to go green when the remote is picked up. I may have to use the second LED for this but already the button has stopped working cause theres not enough space, but I can get that fixed Im sure.

Ive also added 2 new fans to the case of the xbox as it keeps overheating and melting solder joints. I broke one fan today so thats set me back a bit. But the hole for it is done, and the little blue one is going to be strapped to the side of a GPU Heatsink to aid cooling that.

The 12v Fan Headers I soldered in.

And the perfect hole from a few angles and ranges, (really happy with this)

Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 03:38:47 PM »

Pulling air in would be fine as long as it has somewhere to go.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 06:31:10 PM »

Yeah, I was gonna say that, but I thought it was obvious.

The air that goes in, HAS to come out somewhere and efficiently.  Those holes on the xbox wont work too well.  If you do not have one going out, you need it.  If you have one fan, ALWAYS going out.  2 fans could be one and one

If you only have one going in there would be a pressure build up over time and you could damage the components

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 08:25:46 PM »

Well it already has the 2 original fans that blow air out. Now it also has the tiny fan blowing air through the Heat Sink and another sucking cool air into the case. So it should work ok. But Id really have liked another fan blowing air out.

So do you guys like my super perfect round hole?

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 10:17:28 PM »

It has holiness. Grin

Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 11:05:40 PM »

I concur

lol howd you make it?

compus  and soldering iron lol

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 12:03:36 AM »

You laught but yes. Compass for the main hole. Soldering Iron to cut it out. Then I filed it do a sort of rough circle. The 3 grades of sand paper to bring it to perfect circlulation. Took me about 2 hours!

Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 08:31:41 PM »

Well check out the finished box. Its pretty damn good. I had to bend the top of the heat sink down a bit but you cant tell.

Thats right it glows blue!

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 09:14:39 PM »

Neat jiob there that man! 

Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 09:39:21 PM »

Thanks!

Just need to get the remote finished, what it to go green when you pick it up now. May need to install another battery or something in the remote as the LED is bi state, but it requires a reverse in flow for the light change, which I dont think is possible. I may just use the second LED if I can fit it inside the button.

Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 08:10:46 PM »

Well Ive sort of not updated for a while, and the reason is I bought 4 broken xbox360s off ebay, repaired them and sold them on for 100 profit each. (I of course offered a return if they were no good) but the other 2 are still been fixed, and Ive got a case mod in the works that I intend to be awesome.

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 10:26:11 PM »

Good work there.  Grin

Nas`
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 02:09:29 PM »