Bongofish
February 15, 2019, 09:00:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [Cancelled] The DIQ  (Read 8951 times)
Denny
New Poster

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2007, 05:41:50 PM »

Hey people,

This is the first step into building the D-IQ (Denny-IQ // Denniq), yeah yeah - I know how the short one sounds. I don't care. Any Wii jokes anyone?

With help from my local computer store which I've befriended and a (hopefully) successful trade over at blocket.se - it's like a swedish Ebay without the auctions - I'm soon one in the crowd. How damn lucky can I be anyway to find a user selling both a 15" LCD screen with external power supply AND a Wacom 12x12 in the same advert? I just spoke over Email with the guy selling and if everything goes as planned I'll have the supplies tonight! (the photo below is taken from his advert)

There's a small issue regarding the screen being 5mm wider, but I don't have to calibrate the tablet to use 100% of the screen area though, will be able to select everything I need on screen anyway. Tongue

The plan is to first make a prototype build over at the store with the parts above. If everything is successful, I'm going to order a completely brand new 15" screen from dell, hope it works for this, and use my Intuos 3 A4 with it. (Dell has got some damn good reputation among digital artists for the parts they use in their LCD screens)

I'd rather make a mistake with the prototype than with my dear Intuos. Tongue

Be ready for some updates in a week forward. Cheers~ Smiley
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 12:10:23 PM by Denny » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 07:15:46 PM »

Wow. Nice find there.

If your prototype is sucessful you may even be able to sell it on once  V2 is up and running.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Denny
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 08:40:14 PM »

I'll see, the thing is that if this is successful the store might be getting into this thing of making DIY Cintiqs. (they're really small though so don't get my word on this) What I'm trying to say is that they might want the prototype to demonstrate later.

Anyhow, yes, I'll probably sell it otherwise. Smiley
Denny
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 10:35:32 PM »

The parts for the D-IQ has arrived. Smiley

Now I just have to work out some time with my friends at the store.
Denny
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »

I'm too eager to wait, I checked my screen and noticed I could remove the upper part of the casing and check inside it. Stupid as I am I didn't notice until now that the screen has a sheet of glass on it!

The red is the glass, the rest is the screen itself. Grin

Have to check though if this sheet of glass is made out of something special just to make it hard for me. Tongue
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 12:49:26 PM by Denny » Logged
Denny
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 08:56:18 PM »

I'm officially fucked. Everything matches up, even the inverter I think. (which is not in the photo) But if you look at the controller card in turqoise(light green/blue) it's at the back of the screen.

If I can't extend these cords below and get everything out of the way I can't do shit with this screen. Is it possible?

If you check the upper photo, the screen is lying downwards. For me to fit everything right as it is now I have to lay all the cards and mumbo jumbo on top of the wacom controller card and that fucks it all up. Tongue
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 01:23:56 PM by Denny » Logged
Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 09:50:25 PM »

Ive got a bad feeling about that. Theres a good chance you may be able to length the smaller FCC. Ekk!

Denny
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 11:27:39 PM »

For some reason I feel like doing something else with this screen and get another one.... I don't know anything on where to get parts to lengthen the small ffc. Tongue
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 01:24:24 PM by Denny » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 09:35:01 AM »

Actually that looks pretty good.  If you look at the build log on my website you'll see that I had a couple of FFCs just like the big ones there.
http://www.bongofish.co.uk/wacom/wacom_pt7.html

You can probably get FFC extensions for all those cables,  which would give you lots of options for positioning things.

First you need to unclip them.   Careful as the clips can break, (not usually fatal though).  There's a thread explaining things here ->
http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=74.0

Then take a digital photo of the tracks on the cable, bring it into a drawing package and zoom in to count the pins.  Then measure how wide it is.    FFCs come in two flavours, 1mm pitch (1 pin per mm) and .5mm pitch (2 pins per mm).   

SO an FFC is denoted by pitch, number of pins, and width.
There are some examples here:
http://diy-beamer.com/EN/store/comersus_listOneCategory.asp?idCategory=69

I can highly recommend these guys, they ship internationally and turn round orders fast.  Getting an extension/board bundle makes it much easier than other methods I've seen on the web involving unsuitable connectors and hot glue.

Denny
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 01:13:27 PM »

The small one is 10mm / 20 pins and the big ones are 25mm / 50 pins.

That would leave me with one 0.5 / 20 pin and two 0.5 / 50 right? I think it's best to order some extras for the other cards as well, just in case....

By the way, do you guys know what this little cable does below? I broke the clip even though I was as gentle as I could be, it's pretty damn small. Anyhow, the screen still works with all colors so I have no clue what it does. Huh (it's the pink combination from the photo above) I've tried putting the clip back together but it just falls apart.

Thought of ordering an extra FFC extension for the thick one here.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 01:27:19 PM by Denny » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 04:32:33 PM »

It might pass commands about changing resolution or something, difficult to say.
I think the little clips are at the edges of what can be consistently manufactured cheaply, they vary from OK to fragile,  I guess they only make them to be closed once or twice.  Wedging the cable in using paper or a plastic wedge is an acceptable bodge.  Cheesy

I've done this before using a small piece of plastic.  Sand it down to a wedge shape, use it to push down on the back of the cable when it's in place, then tape it in. 

I'm not sure you need to extend these white cables necessarily, the ones that really need it are the cables from the boards to the screen.

Denny
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 06:13:20 PM »

Okay, I'll see when I'll order the cables. They're quite the cost. Tongue
Denny
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 12:11:09 PM »

Since I have no time and no resources, my contract at work ran out as well so no income, this project has been cancelled. Smiley
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 12:31:14 AM »

We need a support group. How about on hold. It's just on hold. Once you're in, you're in for life. There's no getting out.
Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 01:20:25 AM »

See what I mean Mgilbride in the other thread? Cant all be winners!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: