Bongofish
October 23, 2018, 12:55:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DON'T BE CHEAP  (Read 4629 times)
garethking
« on: December 17, 2006, 11:17:22 AM »

I've used cintiqs now for over 4 years.  My boss bought the first one in the country (according to wacom).  I bought a 21" cintiq a few months ago.  There is no better computer equipment, especially if like me your a freelance artist.
I hate wacom tablets they are rubbish, I've used plenty of those too.

I love this little DIY hack your doing, I'm gonna try it out myself, I've got an old tablet and some old screens, and it'd be good to have something I can use and not worry about -> being £2000's worth of screen, scary thoughts of children and sharp objects and brake-in's are often in my mind, after all I'd be doomed if one day if it didn't work or wasn't there !!! GULP
I am not rich, Im only just creaping above minimum wage now. If your an artist and you don't have the cash, then stop wasting money on shi*t and buy one.  Scrimp and save, don't go out, don't buy christmas pressents, cycle to work ... do anything to save the money, or put it on the credit card and pay it off over that 9 month interest free period.  The hack is great, but the cintiq 21" does everything perfectly, even the colour is fantastic (be warned the colour on the small one's is rubbish compared).

SO if your an artist DONT BE CHEAP AND INVEST IN YOUR FUTURE BUY A 21", you will NOT BE DISSAPOINTED, and after a few comissions, when it's all payed off, you'll wish you would've had the balls to do it sooner.  £2000 is not a lot of money when you get down to it, even on minimum wage.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 02:06:09 PM »

Haha Is it just me getting mixed messages off this post?

I know what you're trying to get across though.   It's worth investing in the right tools for a particular job.  Particularly if its a career thing.
However for many people it's still hard to justify spending that much on an individual item of kit.   It's a dilemma.

Don't get me wrong I'd be delighted if we got Cintiqs at work. However I still wouldn't get one at home.
Wacom should be building a smaller, more portable, cheaper cintiq.   The tech isn't expensive, doing a "student/hard-up freelancer" version would reap a great brand-loyalty reward.  There are specific thjings they could do to make a small ciuntiq a lot more useful for a student with a laptop, or as a second screen in a freelancers workstation.

At the moment they're not.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Bhrazz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 07:23:54 PM »

I see people everyday investing money in useless thing. Buying a car at a cost of 20k. Buying cigarets at 10$ a day. A big TV at 3k and go on and go on. In my opinion everyone should get their priority straight.

In my point of view I try to get the best from what I buy when It involved my health ( aka food, shoes etc...)
I don't see why I should be cheap with my favorite passion, also involving my work and my career.

This mean is worth spending a little bit of money on a cintiq if you have the money. I think 4k is a little bit too much tho. I was trying to find a to afford one but I found this website and I feel confident is gonna work!
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 07:34:24 AM »

I had a shock last night.  Shocked  I'd left my screenTablet at work, and I had to draw something.  I used my small Graphire instead.

It was terrible.  It was like trying to draw with a mouse again.  It made me realise just how intuitive the screen is, so garethking, I know where you're coming from with the not liking wacom tablets now.   

robbyv
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 08:11:45 AM »

I've been using large Wacom tablets since 1997.  Over a year ago I bought a Tablet PC (A Fujitsu T4010) so I can draw on a computer on the go (on credit card installment as suggested here for really expensive stuff).  It's no Cintiq (only 12-inch screen, XGA, 256 levels of pressure, no 6D pen), but I *can* draw on the screen even when I'm on the beach.  And I can also jot down handwritten notes on it that I don't have to OCR to be able to search through them (which I think is the really neat feature of XP Tablet PC edition).  I also use it to learn writing Kanji.

However I must say that I find myself still drawing on my desktop with an external tablet for most of my work (illustration and storyboards).  One of the things that bothers me with drawing on screen is my hand blocking my view.  I also have sweaty palms so I tend to make the screen dirty from time to time. I think I've gotten spoiled with having a relatively unobstructed view of what I'm drawing.  I suppose people have different experiences... but I just wanted to share mine.

This doesn't mean though that I wouldn't MIND having a Cintiq -- or engaging in this kind of project.  But I'll probably put it off until I find a Wacom 12x19 and 22 inch LCD that I can afford to destroy.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 08:18:02 AM by robbyv » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 02:03:25 PM »

Hi robbyv, welcome to the forum.
 I know what you mean about the hand getting in the way. Photoshop should have an option the sends the menus in a user-specified direction. I wonder if it's possible to mod it to do that?

I tend to curl my hand now when accessing menus, which keeps the submenus visible, it's got so I don't notice myself doing it anymore.   For some tasks I still use mouse. though it's a little slower for doing things like navigating through a save sequence.

Ferret

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 02:25:56 AM »

Hmmm. I don't have an external tablet for any of my desktops, so I can't comment (Although I could always nick a friends trust for half an hour (The TABLET MAKER!!!)) but I find myself that I use the trackpad on the T4210 still. Actually I usually type two handed (Not properly, but still, I'm not too shabby) so having to lean up to use the pen is a pain in the neck. Hence why I don't use the pen much outside of slate mode. A little, but not much. ARGH! 1:30 again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: