Bongofish
November 17, 2019, 05:38:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: **Success** The MadTastiq - Update - FINISHED!!!!  (Read 33193 times)
madpsychot
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007, 03:15:08 PM »

Dear all

After huge delays, and huge periods of time where I have not been able to work on my project, I'd like to get back to work now, and finish this thing already!

So here goes.... unfortunately, I didn't have a camera for a lot of this progress, but hopefully I can talk through what I did with the few photos I have now.

I had been thinking long and hard about mounting the LCD monitor to the actual Wacom. I didn't want to tape it to the circuit board so I decided on a series of small blocks, held in place by good quality duct tape. I figured as long as I used enough block I could hold the screen in place. The following picture shows what I did.

Added to this, I've been reading the threads about jitter, and I have to say my mouse cursor jitters by a few millimeters here and there. Nothing manic, but enough to notice. I therefore used the Baking paper / Aluminium Foil combo. I ran a wire out of my Invertor box connected to one of the grounds on the VGA circuit board. This I connected to the Foil around the Monitor circuit. It helps a little, but I'm still trying things to get the jitter down.

Using a hole I made in the bottom of the Intuos case, I fed all the wires (8 x Backlight wires, the LCD buttons cable, the LCD ribbon cable plus ground wire) through, and then screwed the box to the bottom case. This means I have a permanent base on the bottom of the Intuos. All the wires were connected to their correct components and then I tested to see if the monitor and intuos were still working well together.

Next I had to tackle the front enclosure, cut out a hole for the screen, and then cut out a hole(s) for the LCD monitor buttons. Using my Dremel I cut out a rough hole for the screen and buttons. Then using a combination scalpel, stanley knife, brute force, sandpaper, and lots of swearing I fashioned the following:

The Dremel part was done in mere minutes. After hours (and I do mean lots of hours) of carving, filing, and sanding, I ended up with a hole for the screen that I was happy with. What I had not anticipated was how long those two bloody holes for the buttons would take. But eventually I managed to get the buttons through without having to force them or bend them into place. The result looks ok, but I think I could have done a better job with those particular holes.

Where does that leave me?

The top case fits over the bottom really well. It's going to take a tweak here and there to get it to fit to the bottom

I have a  space between the covers, which I was hoping I could solve with spacers and screws, but for some reason the screws and the holes are not lining up from the bottom to the top case. So I have decided to stop here for now, and take a break! I'll return to the problem tomorrow some time, and see if I can find some kind of elegant solution to yet another problem.

In use the tablet and screen work together perfectly. The jitter is small, and in normal handstrokes (my handstrokes anyway) the jitter doesn't cause any real problems for me. Only if I run my hand slowly with the pen can you tell there's a jitter. But all the same I would love to get rid of it altogether. The power supply and other circuits are away from the LCD and tablet themselves, so I think the jitter is a combination of the LCD circuit and the LCD screen itself.

Anyway, my next post will definitely be a "I've finished" post, I hope it's tomorrow or the day after.

Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 06:57:35 PM »

Nice!   Looking good there.  Good work on all that filing and sanding.
I'm sure you'll think of something to get it all screwing together

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Nas`
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2007, 08:23:31 PM »

i honestly think you've done an awesome job man it looks slick, i reacon if u paint it black like drew did everything will look so freaken slick!!

gosh i'm so envious lol
madpsychot
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 08:41:14 PM »

Thanks guys!

It's coming along nicely and I can see the home straight now. Just need a way to get the bottom attached to the top case, and I really don't want to use sellotape! I'm actually using the Mad-Tastiq and I have to say it's a great little device to use! I was also thinking about spraying the thing black and seeing how it would look, but to be honest, I quite like the natural look of the Intuos!

Anyhows, I'll get to it tomorrow and see how I can finish the project off.

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 10:32:42 PM »

How about a piece of plywood cut to the same profile, screw wood into top bit, screw bottom bit into wood.

It's an awful lot of cutting mind. Roll Eyes

madpsychot
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2007, 11:55:26 PM »

That's actually not a bad idea Drewid, I think a rigid frame around the perimeter of the Intuos might just do the trick. It is a lot of cutting, but it would give some real strength and stability to the whole thing....

A great idea! Thanks for the Brainwave!
madpsychot
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 08:41:54 PM »

That's right.... Finished!!!!

Last night, I sat down to finish the Mad-Tastiq, only to get very critical about a lot of things, such as the fact that my pen was not tracking well at all, as well as a few niggles with the casing and so on. Therefore I removed the cover, and re-aligned the LCD screen, got the tracking back in sync and then put everything back together a little more solidly.

Today it was a simple case of putting the case on using the Drew's original spacer / washer idea of stacking enough of them between the cases. I used plastic washers as they give you a little more play when you tighten the screws.

So here are the photos.....

This is the finished Mad-Tastiq! The case fits on quite well, with some very very fine tuning of the position of the LCD screen under the hole in the front case.

You might be able to spot that the gap between the top and bottom case is now filled in with this great black plastic PVC I got from an Art shop. I just cut it with scissors and used double-sided tape to stick it in the gap. That did take a bit of time, but I think it's worth it.

I may extend the base in the future with some additional feet or legs, but I have to say working on the screen is quite nice, I have it at a rough angle that a technicians draft board would sit at.

Of course I will post a video showing how it is in action, need to get my hands first on a video recording device.... any forums out there that deal with home-made video recording devices? A big thanks to the support of you all and the tips and hints I've picked up on all the threads....

Here's a curious thing to leave you with though.... before I attached the case on permanently I had a pronounced jitter in the cursor which seems to have disappeared from the whole screen apart from the top 2cm......

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 06:52:51 PM by madpsychot » Logged
Nas`
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 11:25:06 AM »

beautiful  Grin

All ya needa do is class up thems buttons but apart from that, very very nice. specially the angled shots i saw a few hours ago but dont see now?

but yeh good stuff and gratz =)
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 01:26:10 PM »

Dissappearing jitter!  Coolio......

Good build there The box underneath idea is a good one too.

Can't wait to see a vid.

madpsychot
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 08:21:08 PM »

Hey Nas,

I think the photos are back now, for some reason my links to my Picassa album got messed up. They should be back now though. I know what you mean about the buttons, but they are kind of strange. If I put them any lower in the case they stop working, so I have to have them sticking out of the case like that. But I've already thought about how to make them a little nicer, which might include building a surround for them.

Hey Drew!

I have to say, the box idea works really well, the angle is quite natural when your sitting at a desk and it can easily be raised with a book underneath it!

Anyhows, here's a video I made earlier today using my wife's digital photo camera!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wsE3FIlWmUY
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 08:25:45 PM by madpsychot » Logged
kubi
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 11:00:43 PM »

wow very very ubercool
Jooly
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 05:16:26 AM »

Mad-
It looks really awesome. Your final product makes it really tempting to just put my panel back in the original case.

~Jooly
madpsychot
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 06:58:53 AM »

Hey Jooly

There was no forward planning on my part. My LCD Monitor case was URGLY! It wasn't flat, but was about 4 times thicker than my whole Mad-Tastic is now! Therefore the only solution was to use the Wacom case and deal with the gap!

robcat2075

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 07:18:37 PM »

Looks great. congrats!

Robert Holmén
------
The Robcat View
DonShole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 09:28:13 PM »

Lovely, always good to see a finished build!

EZ CINTIQ. How to build a DIY Cintiq, it's  easier than a DIY PC! www.tabletmod.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: