Bongofish
November 22, 2019, 05:32:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Digitizer replacement possible?  (Read 2935 times)
_Brian_
New Poster

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2007, 03:20:25 AM »

I'm looking at the possibility of purchasing a Gateway Tablet. I'm curious on your views on it being feasible to replace the Finepoint digitizer with a Wacom one from a tablet?

Brian
chimera
New Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 07:44:29 AM »

I thought about doing in this in the past to replace a low lpi digitizer.  It's unlikely the connections will be the same, but you might be able to cut a hole in the side of the casing and run it off a usb port externally.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 10:45:54 PM »

I guess it could work, Might still get interference though, it's much easier to "tune " components not to interfere with each other than it is to block interference altogether if you see what I mean.   It should be possible to get some idea without taking everything apart though.   

Something else to be slightly wary of, and worth thinking about,  we tend to have a high mortality rate among monitors hereabouts.  Most projects seem to get through a couple.  They are very delicate beasts inside, and a tablet screen is probably just as delicate.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
bubbaflamm

Living Life at Random

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 07:37:01 PM »

i think that it would be highly unlikely.  it could only work if the finepoint connections are EXACTLY the same as the wacom, and the controller and sensor circuitry is EXACTLY the same too.  Or you have mad EE skills.  If you're relying on the chance that everything is the same, I doubt you would have much luck.  but that said i'm not very familiar with the finepoint digitizer so there is a chance that they use some wacom tech and it could work after all.  I've never dissasembled a tablet pc either, and i'm not sure how the digitizer and lcd are tied together;  are they glued together or anything?  if they are the already high monitor mortality could become almost no chance of getting the parts apart.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: