Bongofish
November 13, 2019, 02:42:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you savvy enough to repair/upgrade a Cintiq 18SX?  (Read 13486 times)
bolocopter
New Poster

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2007, 07:39:16 PM »

I sunk a bunch of money into an 18SX almost 2 years ago. Although I loved it for the obvious reasons there were some things that bugged me. It was never bright enough and rapidly got dimmer. The screen developed lines down it that looked like the connections to individual pixel columns were slowly going bad.

After a while I opened it and looked around inside. Too much work for me. Now it has failed to the point it won't display an image and it won't stay on for longer than 1 second. I opened it again to check out some part numbers and this time I broke a little clip that holds a flat ribbon wire onto a connector. The pen and tracking portion of the panel still work but I am not too interested in having a huge heavy intuos.

Anyway, after seeing my level of ineptitude I was wondering if there was anyone here that had the skills to not only crack this puppy open but to totally replace the monitor with something much brighter. I don't mind it being a little frankenstein-ish. I just want to draw on a screen again.

I live in Virginia USA. Let me know if you think this is a viable project and what it might cost.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:08:41 PM »

Are the screen and the tablet sensor a single item?    It might be possible to get replacement parts from Wacom,  No idea what they'd charge mind.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
bolocopter
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 09:55:32 PM »

Are the screen and the tablet sensor a single item?    It might be possible to get replacement parts from Wacom,  No idea what they'd charge mind.
The screen (just the LCD part)is made by Hyundai. I called Wacom and they don't sell it and the repair on it would be in the $1300 range to start. That is way too much for me. The LCD model # is HT18E22-200. When you open the unit there it of course a bunch of electronic shielding/framework and after a bunch of sets of screws you end up taking off a meta panel that is the Cintiq sensor. In front of that is a THICK light diffusion panel lit by 2 sets of 2 fluorescents. In front of that is the LCD itself.

Since there is such a surprisingly big distance between the sensor and the front where the pen would touch I figured there might be hope for getting something else crammed in there that is brighter. Heck I could fit 3 of my macbook pro screens in the space with the entire bezel and back still attached!

Appreciate you thoughts on this!
Tanassi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 12:02:58 AM »

you see the image for 1 sec (or so) and then it shut off?
it seems to be a lamp issue, relatively easy to fix.
could you show us some image of the object (internal of course)
may be you could buy a new replacement lamp or even a new screen from Hyunday directly without charge by Wacom, i think that a 18" display should not cost so much.

... Vince

chimera
New Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 02:22:44 AM »

Where in Virginia are you? I'm near Norfolk.  I might have a shot at repairing it, but never worked on one, or even seen one in person before....  I have done a lot of monitor and tablet work however trying to build my own cintiq. 

The problem with trying to replace the lcd on something like that is that most over the counter normal lcd's larger than 15 inch are 5:4 ratio, so they wouldn't fit if it's 4:3...?  What are the horizontal and vertical measurements? Do you know the ratio?  Also there's the jitter issue we've all had trouble here and finding the right lcd could be a giant issue even if we can find the right size.

Are you able to see an impression of an image on the lcd still when it shuts off with a bright light shined on it, or is it completely dead?

If it is just a backlight issue, it's a relatively easy fix.  If it's an inverter, that may or may not be easy, depending on replacement part availability although it might something I might be able to jury rig. If it's a main logic board it could be very difficult as I'm not sure what the cost or availability outside wacom would be for something like that.

It would also be interesting for me to see the insides of a cintiq and do some interference experiments as well, since I've had such a tough time with jitter on my own build.  It might help me determine if there's special shielding, some sort of anti jitter function in the driver, or the tablet has some sort of anti-jitter chip or something built into it, or it's just a special lcd.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 02:41:11 AM by chimera » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 03:34:26 PM »

I think Waconm just spent a lot of time picking components that worked on different frequencies and emitted little Em radiation.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
bolocopter
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 04:38:48 PM »

Sorry there, I dropped off the face of the Earth! I am going to get in touch with Chimera here and will be glad to get some photos online or get it to someone who can deconstruct things without destroying them like I do. Will keep everyone updated.
Geo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 11:39:39 PM »

I fixed my cintiq 15X was pretty simple new ffc cable and a PCB contact repair pen. Was only 100 euro on ebay for a damaged 15X cintiq that now works fine. Apart from a tiny crack in the case (thx to wacom repair department when i sent it off to see if they could fix it) Wacom wanted well over 2000 euro to fix it and since i could have got a 21" for that price i had them send it back.

If you check my build log you can see how the screen was before and after. Now with the 9x12 tablet dead I had a crack at the 15X digitizing board and works now was just a burn or scratch on the pcb. stabbed at it whit a pcb pen Sad shame really now I need to start a new build *12X wacom hack here i come Cheesy*

As for the broken clip that holds the ribbon I Had the same problem as you with a broken cable umm gate I think they are called... That was lose when I got it but I just pressed it in with a little glue to fix the  socket the brown door bit fit in and works good as new I also replaced the small ribbon cable just because the small one was really annoying to fit in place.

if I can help I will since 15x and 18x are prob the same design apart from the size
bolocopter
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 02:42:51 AM »

Well Chimera has it now and is reporting that it is fixed to a point but there are dead spots from tiny tears in the ribbon cables. I will ask him to take photos the next time he opens it. For now here is the one photo I took when closing it up last time. There is a lot of metal in these babys.

Geo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 03:30:01 AM »

well you can replace ribbon cables easy and they are cheap Cheesy so looks like its good news hope you can fix it.

Sad wish I had an 18x one inside looks so much more fun Tongue
Rumi

Mad Artist/Scientist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 12:30:49 PM »

This is a very interesting thread, any news on how it went?
Some more photos would be great. I wonder if wacom is doing anything special with the LCD panel, if not then it is a matter of finding commercial monitors which use this panel and strip away. Otherwise replacement panels are available but then a controller is needed.

The 15" Samtiq has been great, I have done around 9 minutes of finished 2D animation on it, there is jitter but I am working around it. One day which was particularly hot I was getting a lot of jitter, putting a big fan next to it helped. Anyway I am thinking about maybe doing a bigger version hence the search for possible LCDs and running into this thread. Any info you guys can supply about what's going on inside the Cintiq will be very helpful.

occutit
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 03:30:26 AM »

i thinks the problem of  cintiq is the grip pen. What is going on inside the grip pen ?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 03:41:57 AM »

Just got the datasheet for the HT18E22-200 LCD panel inside the 18SX.

features in brief:

- Hyundai brand
- SXGA resolution (1280x1024)
- 8 bit per RGB channel -- which is quite nice - we often see 6 bit
- 300:1 contrast ratio (not 100% sure -- difficult to read the spec for this)
- 2 channels LVDS
- 4 CCFLs
- TFT-type
- anti-glare surface
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: