test1
September 25, 2017, 01:53:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't know what the hell we are talking about?  (Read 11668 times)
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 30, 2007, 04:40:46 AM »

If you don't know what we are talking about, post the part of the post that you don't understand and the link to the topic and we will tell you exactly what you need to know

Question:
Part of post you don't understand:
Topic link:

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
snoogy17
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 05:20:54 PM »

hello. I just started my build and i would like to start a build log to show what i am using and also to ask questions all in one but for some reason i am not allowed to post new topics in any forum on bongo fish. can someone explain to me why that is? I would really like to start postic pics up. I am using a 15" dell E156FP and a 12x9 uc-logic LAPAZZ without any jitters. unfortunatly i did break a cable and this is what i need help with trying to find a replacement one. Another neat thing is that i didn't have to expand any wires to fit the tablet underneath the monitor. Hope someone can help. ( the cable i need goes from the top of the lcd to the board ) Thanks guys!
Wilcorp70

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 07:53:35 AM »

Yeah, I had the same posting problem, If you are like me you dug right into the forum without going to the "Welcome, Introduce yourself, blah, etc... Section."  In there it tells you that until you post three times you cannot start a new topic.

~Will
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 08:47:59 PM »

I'll stick something in the news box or something

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
smiltroy
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 07:35:12 PM »

Hi there, Im new here and tryed to post a new thread in the help section but wasnt able to do so, so Ill ask here if thats ok, I was another of the lucky persons to get to this forum, I also would like to build one but Im kind of noob and have a little hard time of getting the monitors and tablets so cheap as you do because im in portugal, I am able to buy one on ebay right now, wich is a Dell 15 Inch Flat Screen Monitor - Model 1503FP for 30£ plus 20£ shipping :s

can you tell me if this will work and whats the difference between this and the 1501fp? and will it be people here kind enough to help me trough the process of buyilding the tablet? If so I will also start a thread in the build logs so they can help me better and I can show pictures

Just another question, if I buy this dell 1503fp wich tablet should I get so that it fits well and can you point me to a cheap one?

thank you so much in advance for your help
I really apreciate it that you can help me realize one of my dreams of owning a wacom cintiq
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 08:26:33 PM »

The 1503 is fine, and you'll need a 12" wide tablet so a 12x12 or a 12x9

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
m33ch
New Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 01:34:44 PM »

Hi, I'm new here. I'm in the process of starting my own build and I have already run into an issue that I need to handle. I purchased an old wacom UD-1212, but it's the adb model. I went to coolgraphics.com to purchase the cable needed for pc, but they are having issues with their site and my purchase turned up incomplete, luckily I didn't get charged. If I can get that fixed I'm in the clear, if not I may need to fashion my own serial/power cable. I've read what is here on the forums about the pinouts, but I don't have much expertise in wiring. It'd help if someone could walk me through it, or point me in the right direction of how to do this successfully.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 03:14:39 AM »

There is a picture diagram for the pinout. The connector includes both the power (for which you will need to find a proper source) and the serial pins. You will need to do some soldering -- not much way around that.  http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=316.15

Few electronic tips about the power supply.

If you are looking for a power supply, you can take any "DC" power supply that can output the voltage within the range of your tablet (the acceptable voltage range is written on the back of the tablet -- which is -- I think 9v..12v typically for the serial tablets -- don't quote me on that voltage range, I am saying this from memory). The power supply must output enough "amp". I mean, it can output more than needed, that is not a problem. For a 0.15amp tablet (that's 150 milliamp btw), a 250milliamp power supply is fine but a 100milliamp will not be enough.

You *might* be able to "tap" into your monitor power supply. If you can have access to a DC voltmeter (multimeter), you can try to see if you read a proper voltage coming out of the monitor power supply. Then you can try connecting the tablet to that (watch out the +/- polarity). To know if you are providing enough "power", you need to measure the voltage going into the panel while everything is powered up. Now try to use your tablet vigorously to draw power while reading the voltage using the voltmeter:  Watch that 1- the tablet must continue to work perfectly (no drop outs) and 2- the voltage must not go "below" the voltage range (which would be an indication that there is not enough "amp").

m33ch
New Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 01:29:02 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I've done very little soldering, so I may just sell this tablet and start fresh. I managed to get a hold of a USB 9x12 Intuos 2...now all I need is a pen and I should be set. I'm still waiting on the seller of my monitor to get back to me on the power adapter...but I may need to purchase that now as well. Monitor and VGA cable, no power. Hopefully by then I should have everything I need to get started. I was pretty excited to find this site and all the people working on this project. I too have longed for a Cintiq and can't bare to let that much money go.
boomandvibe

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 07:01:10 PM »

If you get a UD 1212 and 1513f LCD monitor, what do you do with the cables? There's a serial cable coming out of wacom and another one coming out of the monitor. Also, there's a power cord coming out of wacom and another one from the monitor, right? I assume you would have to connect the cables together, but how do you do it, and which cable should be connected to which one?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 01:51:48 AM »

You never connect the cables between the 2 devices.

A Cintiq is a just Wacom Tablet with a LCD on top. Period.

The 2 devices do not talk to each other.

For Example:

If you start with:

A) a serial wacom tablet with 1 serial DB9 connection and 1 power supply brick.
B) a LCD monitor with 1 VGA cable  and 1 power supply brick.

Your build will typically end up with 4 cables:

1 Serial cable (going to the PC - serial port)
1 VGA cable (going to the PC - VGA port)
2 power supply brick (both going to the wall - one for each device)

(Some more complex builds "share" the power supply -- so you endup with 3 cables instead of 4 -- but you have to know what you are doing a little more)

The only "trick" here is that the tablet size should fit the LCD size --- so when you move the pen, the mouse move at the same spot. That's it.

(In reality there are some more roadblocks -- which is what this site is all about)
MikeyN
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 04:26:49 PM »

Hi guys,

Quick question,

Would i need a controller board if i use have a whole laptop to strip and use for the project?

Cheers
MikeyN
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 05:41:24 PM »

sussed it, sorry to waste your time lol
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 01:43:21 PM »

Sorry, just seen your posts. No time wasted at all. Glad you worked it out.
MikeyN
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 11:07:35 PM »

No problem, I have ordered a Intuos3 , which is on its way, once i have some more parts here with it i will take some photos and make a build log! Smiley hope to see you around the forum..
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: