test1
May 29, 2017, 06:51:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: AndreZX's Build Log  (Read 56225 times)
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2007, 02:30:28 PM »

Hey guys,

Decided to start a build thread continuing from my "Hello" thread, http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=813.0

Just as a re-cap, I got my tablet about a week ago, a UD-1212-r. Seems to work well, and I've got an 8-9mm reading height above the case. I'm waiting on a new serial cable to test it fully, and that should come some time next week.

Finally nabbed a monitor on eBay, a Compaq FP745A. $12.50 for the monitor, ~$16 for shipping. It works, but it doesn't have a power supply/cord. I've got several generic adaptors I can probably use for it though. I'm also bidding on another monitor, and that auction ends in 2 days.

That way I have two to play with in case I break one or one doesn't play nice with the tablet, and if I don't break one I've got an extra to make a DIY Projector later.  Grin

If you check out my "Hello" thread, you can see some quick concept pictures I did for the design. I'm working on redesigning it from the ground up, now, with an eye on making it much more compact, creating a good airflow through the case, and representing the actual building materials I'm gonna be making it with.

I'll be keeping you posted, and hopefully I'll have some pictures in the next update.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 04:13:56 PM by AndreZX » Logged
Tanassi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 03:44:49 PM »

Hi Andre,

good luck, and keep us updated  Grin

... Vince

AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 05:23:23 PM »

I'm debating the issue of polycarbonate (Lexan) vs. acrylic (Plexiglass) for the top of this thing.

I know Lexan is denser, virtually unbreakable, and considered to be the best glass replacement out there, but Plexiglass is harder, cheaper, and transmits more light. That means Plexiglass won't scratch as easily (a definite must, for a drawing surface), it'll be cheaper to replace if it does pick up any horrible scratches (less than $10 for the whole surface), and it'll let more of the monitor's light through.

I don't want to go with real glass, because my house can get pretty chaotic (lots of kids) and I don't trust it not to get broken.

I picked up a couple $2 sheets of Lexan and Plexiglass (3/32" thick), and I'm scribbling on them with a Wacom pen to see how they stand up to the abuse, and I gotta say, the cheaper stuff is winning. And that's just fine with me  Grin
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 01:02:27 PM »

Wacom do replacment felt nibs, which not only stop scratches, but add just a little drag and make the experience more pencil like.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 11:13:57 PM »

Wacom do replacment felt nibs, which not only stop scratches, but add just a little drag and make the experience more pencil like.

Hey Drewid, thanks. Where can I find them? I'm not having any luck searching the Wacom store, and I'm sure they're staring me right in the face. I can find them for the Intuos pens... will they fit the UD pens? Or do I need to look somewhere else?

Thanks a lot,
~Andy
AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 04:31:19 AM »

Crap. The auction for the second monitor just got hijacked big time.

The guy posted this monitor a couple weeks ago, and it went the entire 7-day period with no bids. But I messaged the guy and told him I'd bid if he put it up again. He did, and I bid.

It lasted 6 days, 23 hours and 51 minutes with only one bid. I was soooo close. Then, in the final minutes of the auction, it turned into a bidding frenzy! It went from a single bid in 2 weeks to 10 bids in 9 minutes!

But I guess thus is the nature of eBay. Oh well.

I'm gonna hit some good will stores around here. I've seen 15" LCDs on the shelves there before, for about $15 each. I wonder if they actually work....
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 07:09:12 AM »

All the nibs are interchangable, be careful because not all pens are interchangable.

A reliable place to get them online is coolgraphicstuff.com

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 11:41:38 PM »

All the nibs are interchangable, be careful because not all pens are interchangable.

A reliable place to get them online is coolgraphicstuff.com

Cool. I ordered some from Wacom, as coolgraphicstuff.com was out of stock.

The serial cable should arrive tomorrow, so I can put the tablet through some proper tests.
AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 03:00:32 PM »

So I hooked up the tablet to my laptop with the newly arrived serial cable, and it seems like the tablet works great. And what are the odds that my brand-new, top of the line, performance workhorse laptop would have a serial port on it? I thought they stopped putting those on new computers several years ago. It works out though, because that's the computer I intended to use this tablet with anyway, and it saves me the trouble of buying a USB adaptor and dealing with more cords.

The tablet's pressure sensitivity is a little bit wonky when "Softer" is selected, but "Firmer" seems to work just fine. And actually, I need to test that with the second pen to see if it does the same thing.

And has anyone here ever worked with an eMachines monitor? I found a friend who has one with a broken button that they moved into dead storage a while ago, so I'm probably going to buy that from her.
I would imagine that eMachines would use another company's LCD components and just re-brand them. Does anyone here know if that's accurate or not? And if so, any idea whose components they use?
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 09:55:12 AM »

a laptop with a serial port?   That sounds like a collectors item.

There are actually very few manufacturers of LCD panels. e-machines panels will certainly be made by toshiba or chingwa or someone, though I have no idea who exactly.

AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 05:11:49 PM »

a laptop with a serial port?   That sounds like a collectors item.

Yeah, I know. The thing is, this laptop is also boasts a 2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB of 667 Mhz RAM, a 256 MB video card, and a fingerprint scanner! I honestly can't understand why they included a serial port on it, but it certainly makes life simpler for me.
AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 01:10:22 AM »

So... the felt nibs showed up today.

Still waiting on the monitor, I have no idea what's taking it so long to show up.

And my friend who said she'd sell me her monitor has fallen off the face of the earth.

I seriously underestimated how much trouble snagging a used monitor would be!
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 01:53:44 PM »

hooray and boo.

still dribbling over those laptop specs mind Smiley

AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 06:44:10 PM »

hooray and boo.

still dribbling over those laptop specs mind Smiley

Hahaha  Grin

I don't use the fingerprint scanner, but it sure sounds cool doesn't it? I got an amazing deal on that laptop through my school's pricing program (almost 50% off retail price), but the caveat was that I needed to have it configured the exact way they sold it. So even though I didn't need it, I got the fingerprint thing.

EDIT: More good news! The girl who was going to sell me her screen is now NOT going to sell me her screen. Great.
So now the only option on the table is the screen I ordered from Ebay— which still hasn't shipped after two weeks. Great.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 11:02:32 PM by AndreZX » Logged
AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 09:52:12 PM »

So, just thought I'd post an update.

The monitor I won on eBay 3 weeks ago hasn't shipped yet, even though the seller said in his post that it'd take no longer than 10 days. 10 real days passed 11 days ago, 10 business days was a week ago from today. So yeah, I'm feeling really good about that transaction.

I did just order another one though, a viewsonic VG150. Pretty decent specs and an external power supply, and it's also listed on the lumenlab database as having no FFC issues. I'll probably just shoot for using that one when it comes in, as the other one I ordered is something of an unknown quantity.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: