Bongofish
November 19, 2017, 03:12:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Screen larger than sensor?  (Read 13825 times)
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 01:53:56 PM »

hum, seems we had problems with attachments recently. I'll notify Drew.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 02:12:13 PM »

I think the host has moved us to a different server. I'll have a look.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Keifer
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 03:50:36 PM »

That might explain the dead 404 images around here! Changed servers but didn't update the links to the attachments.
Keifer
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 08:16:44 PM »

Uploaded images. Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 01:10:10 AM by Keifer » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 01:39:57 AM »

OK.  After looking at the picture, I see that the usb connector is non-standard and found in the manual that you have the choice between serial or USB -- just that the cable you pick makes the difference.  (I assume you do not have the serial cable, only the usb, right?)  If you ever want to go down the Teensy route, either you find the serial cable (or it's pinout) or we have to open the device and look for signals -- it will take some tinkering to discover the right signals. It can take time, but it is doable.
Keifer
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 05:08:04 AM »

Hey. Thanks Bernard. You are AWESOME!  did you know that? You are all dedicated to these projects! I appreciate that!

Ok. So I use my tablet with my laptop and my laptop does not have the serial port. I can use my computer tower if need be, but it makes me less mobile and dependent on a tower and I only have one screen. But the laptop will offer two screens.

Ok so the cintiq sensor box has two lights. Amber is for when the unit is powered on. The other light is green for when the pen is pressed around the sensor only. These lights are where the buttons are for the sensor control box.

Ps. I dont have the serial cable. Forgot to mention that! Smiley

Thanks again
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 08:29:31 AM by Keifer » Logged
Keifer
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 07:18:29 PM »

Any other info you need?
Or is this a loss cause?
Maybe I should just find a 15 inch and work with that...

Suggestions and comments are welcome.

Thanks
abeyance

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 10:35:23 PM »

My LCD is about 3/4 of an inch taller than my tablet. But I prefer to have my pointer and my pen directly on top of one another. So, I just don't the top portion of the screen even though the driver can map the entire screen. (I'm aware that I use a different tablet than most but I thought it might be helpful if someone using a Monoprice/UC-Logic tablet was cruising by.)

Frank
Keifer
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 10:56:59 PM »

Did you see that??? I am sure it was a tumbleweed!

Crickets too!

:/
abeyance

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 11:42:43 PM »

Hey folks,

I know there have been a lot of people discussing using monitors that were larger than the sensor size (e.g. a 17" screen on a 12x12 Wacom), but has anyone actually completed a build this way?

If so, how annoying was it to work with? How do you personally work around it?

I'm looking at using a 22" screen (which would be about 11.66"x18.66") on a 12x18 Wacom, and I'm debating.
Should I go with the 22" and use a workaround to access the last 2/3 inch of screen space, or should I give up hope on the 22" and use a 20.1" instead?

I'm thinking that I want to stick with the 22" screen, and map the display area to the wacom 2 different ways. I'll line up the right edges of the screen and the sensor so that they're aligned on the right side. Then I'll map the right 17" of the sensor to the right 17" of the screen, 1 to 1. Then I'll map the remaining inch at the left side of the sensor to the remaining 1.66 inches on the left side of the screen. The cursor won't line up horizontally in the second section, but it should absolutely be useable for the limited amount of use that that end of the screen should see. Does that make sense?

I really don't want to have to stop to use a mouse for the last section of screen space, and this workaround seems usable to me. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I use a bigger monitor as I have said. I just don't put anything on the unreachable parts of the screen. It makes it easier for me to draw. I could use the driver and map out the width of the screen but I like my cursor to be where the pen is. At this point it's just a personal preference. What are you doing with the tablet? Will mapping affect what you do? Do you need your cursor and pen to line up at all times?
Keifer
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 11:41:30 AM »

I am in the same boat. I have a larger screen and smaller tablet. But there is no driver for making the "active area" smaller to match the tablet sensor. You see, I have a Cintiq and with a Cintiq the driver written will only ever need the entire screen. So there's no chance in hell I am going to get this to work.... Unless I can trick the Cintiq hardware "brain" to thinking it is actually an Intuos. Or something along the lines of that.
I personally am at a loss of how to go about writing this driver. If anyone could tell me what language the driver is written in, then I might have a chance. Otherwise I am lost...
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 12:18:08 PM »

Can't you calibrate the screen with a Cintiq?

B.
abeyance

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 01:06:03 PM »

Well, it is a Wacom tablet... you might be able to uninstall the Cintiq drivers and trying the other wacom tablet drivers to see if you can get the option for screen portion. Have you given that a go?
Keifer
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 09:51:29 PM »

Lcd screen is 19 inches (which I am installing the Cintiq into as an upgrade due to Cintiq backlight dull issue)

Cintiq is 15 inches

Took apart 19 inch monitor and Cintiq 15. Placed 15 inch Cintiq sensor into the exact center of the 19 inch monitor and closed up the 19 inch monitor with Cintiq inside.

Downloaded latest drivers for Cintiq 15x and calibrated. The crosshairs are beyond the Cintiq censor, due to the 19 inch monitor is larger than the Cintiq 15 inch sensor.

Thus I cannot calibrate with the Cintiq driver.

Uninstalled Cintiq newer driver and tried older Cintiq driver. That didn't work, same problem with the crosshairs calibration.

Uninstalled Cintiq driver again and tried multiple other Wacom drivers for Intuos series. Drivers did not find the tablet and in some cases it just found it was a Cintiq 15x.

No options at any time to crop the screen active area like others have with Wacom tablets.

Uninstalled drivers and tried the waxbee software, but did not detect it.

Also tried to manually resize the screen within windows 7 to the active area, leaving it with blank area around. Didn't work because my 19 inch Samsung monitor has an auto resize feature and would just correct the size and the image would just pull to fit the screen.

So that is a very detailed step by step. Sorry about that, but I want no complications.

Other things to note. Cintiq sensor has a power light and a "pen active" light when pen presses on screen.

Hope this helps. It's a challenge!! Pave the way for other Cintiq screen upgrades! I can document whatever is needed. Even rip it apart again!

abeyance

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 11:53:54 PM »

When you took apart 19 inch monitor and Cintiq and placed the sensor into the exact center of the monitor and closed it up... did it still work? I assume that there were just dead edges where the pen wouldn't go? Will that work for you? It seems you have tried everything I can think of. It might be necessary to just buy a 15 inch LCD if you want the whole area active.

Here is a fairly up to date list of LCDs and their success rates http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=2214.0

And here is a vendor list of controller/inverter boards if needed if buying JUST the LCD http://wiki.bongofish.co.uk/doku.php?id=bongofish:lvdsvendors
(I recommend NYJTouch just because they are the cheapest and their customer service kicks much ass. Thanks Christine!!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: