Bongofish
December 08, 2019, 04:51:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 screen setup?  (Read 7696 times)
Geo

View Profile WWW
« on: October 29, 2007, 01:14:30 PM »

Hi guys

Not really to do with monitors more video cards...

I know my build has not started yet "Damn Postman" But I have managed to fix a 15" screen I got cheap on ebay. My problem is I run dual 19 inch screens on 1 video card and would like to run 3 now (2x19" and the 15" wacom) I googled about and found I need a PCI video card... I had and old s3 trio laying about so popped it in. No good windows says I did not have enough recourses to run both... so I went poking about in the bios for a few hrs and testing other stuff I cant get it to work the vidoe card DOSE work just not with the AGP ATI card.

So my question is whats the best way to run 3 screens I don't really want a stretch to all screens box like one of them multi head box slitters do since the 15" screen works on 1024/768 my main screens work on 1280/1024. I should a los say My pc is very old so I cant run PCI-E video cards so no dual geforce would work. PCI seems to be the best bet... even when I buy a new pc it should work... but how would a pci card handle say zbrush 3ds max and photoshop? i could just set my 15" screen to run off agp card and use 1 of the 19" to run off PCI card since all i really use it for is to view web pages and msn/email...

I know I can just switch 15" and 19" cable back and forth but I don't really want to do that even a KVM is not the best idea...

Thanks?
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 03:17:24 PM »

What are the specs on your computer, most importantly the memory?

Photoshop won't be affected by the video card at all, but Max and ZBrush will. I've never done the 3-screen setup before, but I've got 3 dual-screen setups at home, and I do have one heads-up for you. Multi-display setups hate having monitors of different resolutions (which 2 out of my 3 setups have). For instance, if I have a 19 inch and a 17 inch monitor, and I try to make a window full screen on the 19 inch— sometimes the full screen acts as though it's on a 17 inch screen and leaves me with 2 inches of blank desktop around it. Sometimes it works as it should. Sometimes if I try to do a full screen on the 17 inch screen, it acts like it's on a 19 inch and the window goes way off the screen at the edges.

This happens on both Nvidia AND Ati cards, so it's not manufacturer-specific.

Good luck!
Geo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 04:49:28 PM »

I got a

processor - AMD XP 3000+ (over clocked)
memory - 1 gig of high performance ram
motherboard - epox 8RDA3+
video card - Asus ATI Radeon 9800XT  (VGA S-VID Div outputs)
PCI CARD - S3 trio 32/64 

I can run the 15" and the 19" at the same time at different rez with no problem by just using windows display propriety > settings. So dual set up is not a problem but adding 3 screens with only 2 video outputs is a problem. I think a PCI card is the best bet... they make 256mb PCI cards so that should run max/maya/zbrush no problem. But how will it affect game play / work flow running 2 different video cards.

I will be getting a new pc next year when new 45nm quad cores are out but even then would be nice to have 3 screens and I,m not sure dual sli cards works with 4 outputs.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 06:27:50 PM »

There the tripleheader thing that Matrox do.

No idea how it would work with screens of different resolutions though.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Geo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 06:41:42 PM »

well they have 2 head version too I was looking at them but all it seems to do is stretch the picture over 2 screen so you set fire fox full screen it opens it in 2x screen wide.
jbobforever
New Poster

So long and thanks for all the fish!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 10:40:01 PM »

Hello... I have yet to start my own build as well... hopefully this summer....but as for setting up 3 screens with different resolutions with an agp and a pci...It works quite nicely. On my setup back home (which unfortunately is across the country for now) I have 2 nvidia cards (forget which ones exactly) but I am running my two main monitors (both crts) off of an nvidia 256mb agp card. 21 inches (Yes it is a huge mother-beast of a thing)  and 17.5inches, If I remember right. My third monitor also crt, which I use very seldom, is running off of an nvidia 128mb pci card.

I'm not saying it was easy to set up (it took me about a week to get all the bugs worked out) but in the end it's worth it. I recommend  getting a hold of ultramon,http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/, a handy little app that helps you manage your resolution/monitor setup. I found that the nvidia support alone was lacking, and somewhat confusing. Another note... I think it also works better if both of your cards are from the same manufacturer...

My setup:
nvidia256mb agp
nvidia 128mb pci
I have 2 gigs of ddr (444mhz???)
and Pentium 2.4ghz  hyperthreaded processor

Hope that helps, good luck!

I suppose I'm supposed to say something witty and insightful...
Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 06:51:43 PM »

Still no sign of it yet Geo? getting a bit worried now!

Geo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 10:01:13 PM »

jbobforever: Hmm thanks. I do this a PCI card is the way to go. I was looking at a geforce 5500 i believe But I run an ATI card in apg slot and wont be updating pc for 4-5 months when I will get  geforce card (if they are still good at the time)... so I guess atm I cant run 3 screens Sad I dont really want to pay a lot for an ati PCI card i wont use much.

Chems: they called me today and said it will come tomorrow Sad driver came on Monday and got lost (or so he says monday was a bank holiday.....)
Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 10:39:41 PM »

Ah phew, makes me feel a lot better. I dont know what bank holiday it was, but less and less place are recognizing them. Glad its there I was a bit worried considering it should have been there mid next week. Drop me a line if you need any help with it.

Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 12:45:41 PM »

Any sign of this wonderous package yet?

Geo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 04:20:29 PM »

:DD yep came today Smiley after my testing shows I need some more ffc bits 2 of the 30 or 40 pin pbc. I will upload some pic later
Geo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 04:58:34 PM »

Ok

This cable is my problem

As you can see its 40 pin so guess I will order two of them PCBs off DIY beamer

I tryed to hack it wiht tape but did not work Wink no surprise...

Also the cfls for the back light are a tad short but thats easy to fix ^^ guess i should really make a build log now Tongue
Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 06:50:51 PM »

Perfect mate, I hope it was all ok. You know I put a few extra FFCs in that box that was in there, none of them any good?

Geo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 07:49:38 PM »

the ffcs work fine Tongue but I have no pcb to join them you sent 20 pin i need 2x 40 pin but one of the samller ones fit right in to the board Tongue so saved me some cash
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 10:17:10 PM »

what are you going to do with that cable when it comes time to put the sensor under the monitor? There's no way to keep it from being between the pen and the sensor unless you get some kind of extender for where it plugs into the board.

Let me know what you come up with, because I've got a monitor with the same exact cable and I figured I had to go with a different monitor for that reason. If I can still use it, then great.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: